What's the difference between the Onix sp3 and sp3mk11?

reddmadder

Thanks fo rany responses

ebag4

Re: What's the difference between the Onix sp3 and sp3mk11?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2006, 07:02 pm »
Here is a link to the thread on the AV123 website discussing that topic:

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15233

gary

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2006, 11:02 pm »
I bought one used a while back, it sounded nice for the money but IMO it was nothing that anyone would rave about in a review. When I bought it I had no idea there was an MKII version, mine turned out to be the later one and after I saw that thread on av123 I couldn't help but believe the original must have been significantly better. I sold it for a fairly big loss as a result.

Gary

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2006, 05:32 am »
I loved the original, but I logged most of my hours on it in my 2nd system.  I wonder if Mark or Sean has any new info?  So far I've been planning to buy a used MK I, but if someone has compared them head to head I'd love to hear the results.

fredgarvin

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2006, 07:47 pm »
The question has never really been answered at 123.com, I've heard Melody has a website here now and has a North American vendor. I wonder if Melody could answer the question?

mca

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2006, 09:18 pm »
I can't believe someone from AV123 does not have this information. Any comments Sean or Mark?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2006, 12:21 am »
I'm really kicking myself for selling mine now. :duh:

fredgarvin

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2006, 04:02 am »
Actually Rob, I remember that you had one because I was considering getting one but instead went with A-120mkII which I have since sold. Did you end up going with the Tripath amp single driver/horn combo or Zu that many have tried? Just curious, with all the changes we all get into. :)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2006, 04:14 am »
I don't even remember! :lol:  At the time I simply ended up deciding I didn't have the space to adequately do a bedroom 2CH rig and sold it.  I tried digital amps from small TriPath to JVC digiciever and a few analog amps & receivers.  Not too long after selling it I moved to Watertown; I don't really have much more room here but I had the brilliant idea ( :duh:) that I shoulda hooked some of the nicer stuff up to my PC! :lol:  At the moment I have my PC connected to a Stereo-Link USB DAC (will try to get it shipped to Wayne @ Bolder for possible mods tomorrow! aa) feeding an NAD C320-BEE.  I like the NAD but miss my SP3.  While I had it it never occured to my to hook it to the computer! :o :oops:

fredgarvin

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2006, 04:35 am »
The NAD is pretty good for that set up really. Hopefully someone will shed some light on the sp3mkII, its priced really well compared to the other offerings by Melody.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2006, 04:47 am »
Yeah, it works well and sounds pretty good.  The Stereo-Link USB DAC is pretty nice too for a cheap DAC (a bit under $200), in stock form.  Once I see about mods it should sound even better.  I was thinking of a Bybee on the USB input, not sure if it's been done before.  At any rate, as I contemplate a 'steeper' rig at my PC I begin to long for the Onix.  It really did sound wonderful.

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2006, 07:01 pm »
I can't believe someone from AV123 does not have this information. Any comments Sean or Mark?

We are not the manufacturer so we are at Melody's mercy when it comes to things like this :(  After asking for the information more times than I can count, we were recently told:

The circuit is the same.  SP3 uses resistors made in China and Nichicon capacitors.  SP3II uses metal membrane resistors made in Taiwan and Jamicon capacitors.

That is the full text I received.

I hope that helps!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2006, 10:54 pm »
I didn't think you were being secretive; I figured it was probably just that you didn't have a lot of into.  Thank's Sean. 

gprro

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2007, 08:40 pm »
So any thoughts on any change in sound? Or on a long shot a direct comparison. I'm thinking about getting a mkII I guess as that's whats seems to be available.

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2007, 04:15 am »
I never got to hear the Mk. I, but the current one is pretty darn good.
We had it here for a long time for review, and our music editor ended
up buying it, preferring the sound to his Prima Luna...

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2007, 04:26 am »
There was an interesting discussion on AV123's boards regarding this issue.  I can't recall the details, but I can tell you I bought the review sample they sent me.  It's one sweet amp.

gprro

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2007, 02:34 am »
Your review sample was the MKII?

Do you guys think the "big" 38 watts are enough to drive a 91 db/ average 6-8 ohms ( small rise to 4.5 ohm at 4khz) toloud levels. It going to be a speaker based on the GR ob7 but with upgraded woofers.
MTM open baffle and four xbl 6.5 woofers per speaker.

Thanks

daimbert

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2007, 04:22 am »
Out of curousity, how can you tell which model you have? I brought mine sp3 over the summer from underwood hifi.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2007, 03:11 pm »
My original shipping box had SP3 MKII on the outside.