ASKA 55N+ Layout

Jim_E3

ASKA 55N+ Layout
« on: 14 Nov 2006, 09:18 pm »
Hi There,

I'd like to introduce myself as a new N55+ owner - my kit having arrived safely last Saturday.

So a big hello to all - and a big thanks to Hugh for processing my order efficiently!

I'm yet to start soldering, but am planning the build already. I want to pay particular attention to the packaging of the components - as space in East London is probably at a little more of a premium than in Aus, my aim is to keep the Footprint down to a minimum so it can fit on my desk!

Can any one comment on these possible layouts - i'm concerned about placing the components near to each other. Would there be a problem with interference - particularly with the placement of the transformers in close proximity to the psu, and amp modules.

Blue is Amps/heatsink, green is psu, and red/yellow transformers

I've read a lot about these amps, so am looking forward to get down to some listening  (although i've yet to make a decision on a dac, and have to order/build a pair of IPL Acoustic TLs before listening will comence!)

I look forward to responses!

Johnny

Re: ASKA 55N+ Layout
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2006, 09:28 pm »
Hi Jim,
Nice graphics  :thumb:
My only comments would be that the over and under heat sink configurations would send the heat from the lower into the upper. Bad form I should think  :nono: And having the xfmrs close under the modules might cause problems. I don't think having the xfmrs close to the psu is a problem tho. It seems that many conventional layouts, including mine, do it this way.
Have a great build.
John

Seano

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2006, 09:51 pm »
I'd be looking towards your topmost layout example........I can actually visualise how that will work too.  My visualisation brings the audio signals in and out past the amps  (eg. in on the left out on the right) without going anywhere near the PSU and Trafos which also gives you very short signal paths

jules

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2006, 10:26 pm »
hi Jim,

Interesting that you draw a comparison between the living space you have and the size of your amp. There was a beautifully compact design some while ago by kyrill who was I think Dutch.

Space between components gives you a pretty good guarantee that you won't get intererence of any sort while it can be hard to tell  from a drawing, what problems might arise. If you can, it would probably be a good idea to put the amp together and see how it sounds with a temporary mock up of your arrangements before nailing it all down.

The stacking idea doesn't look ideal as far as heat goes but ... you are in London and these amps really don't generate much heat. In Aus. on a 40 degree + day that could limit the life of some components though.

jules

Jim_E3

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:43 pm »
Hi, Thanks for the input!

I think i'm leaning towards the top layout. Conrad do a double flange heatsink that would fit well http://www.conradheatsinks.com/products/double_f.html . The 150mm * 151mm would give similar surface area to the heatsink supplied by Hugh in the kit. Would this equal similar heat dissipation? We got up to a humid 32degC during summer, and hopefully won't it go too much above that (global warming permitting  :roll:)!

Seano, your wiring visualisation is similar to what i am planning (great minds.... :icon_surprised:!), although i must admit i came to the conclusion thinking about getting a clean look to the case, rather than signal integrity! Inputs to the LHS of the heat sink, and outputs to the RHS.

I've been mulling over the idea of using shielding within the case to tackle the interferance prob - between the Trans/PSU, and PSU/Amps. If sufficient, then (in theory) i could pack the componets quite tightly. Any ideas on materials to use?

AKSA

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2006, 08:53 pm »
Hi Jim,

Very nice modelling software, pretty!!

I agree with Seano, top layout is optimal, though second one down is OK too, because they both maximise distance from trafos to modules.  This is pretty significant.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers,

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2006, 10:46 pm »
Hi There,

I'd like to introduce myself as a new N55+ owner - my kit having arrived safely last Saturday.

So a big hello to all - and a big thanks to Hugh for processing my order efficiently!

I'm yet to start soldering, but am planning the build already. I want to pay particular attention to the packaging of the components - as space in East London is probably at a little more of a premium than in Aus, my aim is to keep the Footprint down to a minimum so it can fit on my desk!

Can any one comment on these possible layouts - i'm concerned about placing the components near to each other. Would there be a problem with interference - particularly with the placement of the transformers in close proximity to the psu, and amp modules.

I look forward to responses!

Hi Jim,

I think it's a very bad idea to stack the two power traffos one on top of the other - as their magnetic fields will couple.   :nono:  If you need to have them close together (bcoz of footprint) then lay one horizontal and the other one vertical.  Space them apart as much as you are able.

I also think it's a good idea to have a metal shield between the traffos and the modules ... even better, between the traffos & PS PCBs and the amp modules (because I understand rectifying diodes radiate HF).

Secondly, to minimise footprint, why don't you put the heatsinks vertical?   :o  Yes, that means the fins are horizontal but at least you don't have one stacked on top of the other!  I have a 55 module and a 25 module on the same heatsink and they barely get warm (even with Pink Floyd as loud as I can stand it!   :) ) so the fact that your fins are horizontal won't have any negative effect!

If you decide a "vertical" configuration is good then you could have traffos & PS PCBs at the bottom, separated from the amp modules (which are vertical) by a metal plate.

And short signal wiring paths is a good thing to aim for!   :D

Regards,

Andy