SB Mods update

Wayne1

SB Mods update
« on: 14 Nov 2006, 04:27 pm »
On November 1, 2006 prices for all the SB mods were increased.

This had to do with increased costs and some changes to the mods.

All the time the mods were being offered, I have been making improvements in them. At first is was some little things. Lately there have been some fairly major changes to the sound of the mods.

I have been incorporating these changes in some units for a bit of an extra charge. Now, they are standard in all the mods.

What are the changes? A lot has to do with using BlackGate caps in the internal power supplies. I have also changed the value and quality of the Panasonic caps used. I have also found a way to reduce the noise the internal switching power supply injects into the power supply lines. All of the caps in the internal power supplies now have BlackGates used in them. This raises the cost and improves the performance by quite a bit. There is quite a bit less "noise" the backgrounds are quite a bit "blacker" than the earlier mods.

All mods that I have done after RMAF have had these changes. All mods ordered after November 1 will have these changes.

If you have an older mod that you would want updated, please contact me. I would really have to look at what is inside your unit to give you an exact price for the upgrade. All previous modded units can be upgraded. In some cases it involves removing ALL the old parts and replacing them with the newer parts.

As the holiday season approaches, the business picks up. I am getting a bit of a backlog. If you think you may want to get your unit modded, make an appointment fairly soon. I am already backed up close to 3 weeks.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: SB Mods update
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2006, 05:29 pm »
Check your PM. My unit is on it's way to you. :thumb:

Cheers

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2006, 05:57 pm »
I have a fully modified (Wayne can give the details) analog SB2 that has been burning in for almost two weeks.

I will plug it into the main system in the next week or so.

I have very high hopes for this unit and so far Wayne's mods have never let me down.

Stay tuned.

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2006, 06:14 pm »
Zybar,

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I'm assuming because it's an SB 2 that you were listening to it stock, and then sent it in for mods. Right?

Cheers

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2006, 06:28 pm »
George bought a used SB2 from Tirade. It was one of the first units that I had modded. I had to pretty much gut the unit and start over from scratch.

George now has everything I have come up with, so far  :wink:, that can be put in a SB2 chassis. He has all the power supply updates. LOTS and LOTS of BlackGate NX caps, Sonicap and Sonicap Platinums in the output section and the latest and greatest GOLD Bybee Purifiers.

It will be interesting to hear George's thoughts comparing the fully modded analog SB2 direct into his amps against his modded digital SB2 into his TacT  :oops:. Both will be powered by his Ultimate PS MKII.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2006, 06:51 pm by Wayne1 »

DeadFish

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2006, 06:35 pm »
I'm looking forward to your thoughts, too, George.
I left my SB3 with Wayne at RMAF to have modded and it has been burning for almost a week now, with the new mods.
After months of looking for an SB2 to have a 'full-tilt' mod (since it had the room for the big caps that were being used)  I gave up to have the SB3 modded.  What a surprise that Wayne has a new direction that fits!!  :singing:
However, I've been introducing it in and out of the system since 'Nite 1' and noting it flexing its muscles.
So far, so good! It is definitely 'in flux', but when it is good, it is very, very good, and when it is bad, its still good!  :icon_lol:
I'd been using the HagTech burn in track, but for some reason the system kept falling out of the track, so a steady diet of Live Dead will just HAVE to do, and I think that is just fine. 
With any luck, there will be enough major burn-in for some comparisons with other versions of mod at the GAS Xmas hoo-ha.
Thanks for getting it and the Elpac back so quickly Wayne.
You rock! :rock:

Regards,
DeadFish

yo2tup

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2006, 08:19 pm »
After months of looking for an SB2 to have a 'full-tilt' mod (since it had the room for the big caps that were being used)  I gave up to have the SB3 modded.  What a surprise that Wayne has a new direction that fits!!  :singing:

You mean the analog modded sb3's can be modded like the sb2 now?  with the sonicap 2's with platinum bypasses... instead of blackgates with sonicap bypasses?

yo2tup

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2006, 08:20 pm »
I have a fully modified (Wayne can give the details) analog SB2 that has been burning in for almost two weeks.

I will plug it into the main system in the next week or so.

I have very high hopes for this unit and so far Wayne's mods have never let me down.

Stay tuned.

George

can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2006, 09:16 pm »

You mean the analog modded sb3's can be modded like the sb2 now?  with the sonicap 2's with platinum bypasses... instead of blackgates with sonicap bypasses?

The SB3 analog mod has the option of having the Sonicap Platinums as bypass caps. It still uses the BlackGate "N" series for the main coupling caps. This does sound VERY close to large Sonicap. Add some Bybee Purifiers in the analog outputs and the sound would be far better than most outboard DACs.

mr_bill

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2006, 11:09 pm »

The SB3 analog mod has the option of having the Sonicap Platinums as bypass caps. It still uses the BlackGate "N" series for the main coupling caps. This does sound VERY close to large Sonicap. Add some Bybee Purifiers in the analog outputs and the sound would be far better than most outboard DACs.

Wayne,
Better than the Benchmark Dac1 with its great transparency and treble clarity?
Bill

TomS

Re: SB Mods update - Ultimate MK II
« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2006, 12:21 am »
WOW - I ordered a loaded Ultimate MK II power supply and DC cable on November 3rd and it is already in my system tonight.  What great service from Wayne, even after a very busy RMAF!

I also bought an older modded Bolder SB2 here on AC and listened to it briefly last night with stock supply before the MK II arrived, running it direct into my Wadia 861 GNSC digital input.  Unfortunately, the SB2 analog level is too low to go direct to my bridged BEL 1001 amps that require 2+ volts for full output.  Even with my Joule LA-150 preamp inline, output was quite low, so I'll have to solve that problem later (think 1:2 transformers, I guess).  In the very brief time I listened to it through the Wadia DAC, it sounded OK, but didn't immediately strike me as a lot better than my stock SB3/Wadia DAC with the wart.

Then came the stunner for me....running the Ultimate with the SB2 -> Wadia DAC -> BEL 1001 mono's -> Merlin VSM-MX's.  All I can say is "Holy Smokes!!!".  The new PS with Bolder SB2 simply sounded terrific right out of the box cold.  The muddy bass and layers of grunge are gone.  I can't wait until it gets completely broken in to hear how good this rig can get.  I wasn't quite ready to give up my CD transport just yet and play tunes from a hard drive, but now I'm there for sure.  At this point I really hate to pack up the SB2 to send back to Wayne, but I know it's ready for another dose of Wayne's magic.

If you have any doubts about this power supply, it's worth every penny.  As others have said, start with a new power supply first and work your way up through the mods after that.

Thanks Wayne!

Tom

tonyptony

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2006, 12:23 am »
Wayne, I had a digital mod done on my SB3 in mid-August. Has there been an improvement in this particular modification?

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2006, 12:29 am »

Wayne,
Better than the Benchmark Dac1 with its great transparency and treble clarity?
Bill

We have compared a lesser modded SB2 to a full out modded DAC 60 and an over the top modded ART DI/O. The SB sounded quite a bit better. There is someone not too far away from me who uses a digital modded SB into a Benchmark. I am trying to arrange a get together so the two can be compared in the same system.

ScottF has compared his modded SB3, with the BlackGates and Sonicap Gen 2s to his Paradiso. He feels the SB3 has better overall clarity and low end. Hopefully Deadfish will have his SB3 with the Sonicap Platinums broken in in time for the GAS party so it can be compared to other DACs there.

As TomS has mentioned, the power supply to the SB is very important. The modded ELPAC is an improvement over the stock supply. The Ultimate MKII takes things to a whole 'nother level.

tonyptony,

I have improved the digital mod since yours. I have now incorporated the internal switcher PS mods. This does lower the noise floor a bit more.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2006, 12:59 am »
Wayne I have to ask......You did mine the week before the show, is it the updated version?  Thanks, Guy

DeadFish

« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:06 am »

ScottF has compared his modded SB3, with the BlackGates and Sonicap Gen 2s to his Paradiso. He feels the SB3 has better overall clarity and low end. Hopefully Deadfish will have his SB3 with the Sonicap Platinums broken in in time for the GAS party so it can be compared to other DACs there.

Well, the SB3 has been runnning since 6 days ago, and it will be a 24/7 thing until the GAS party, and my ciphering has it less than a thousand hours will be burnt by then, but it will still be (professionally speaking) "a bunch".  :wink:

I listened to Scott's SB3 a lot of different ways one sunday, even thru a HagTech ChimeDac, and I like that DAC a lot.  At worst, it was a break-even through the DACs which could be thought of just different 'flavoring'.
Really looking forward to comparing stuff though...

Oh yeah Wayne, I meant to ask, were the units at RMAF this new version or the previous version of mods? 

Regards,
DeadFish

DeadFish

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:07 am »
Well, I messed THAT up!
 :oops:

Wayne1

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:12 am »
Guy,

You and George and Turk and mgalusha and freejazz etc, all have the latest upgrades.

The units at the show were mine and Robert57's. They all had the latest and greatest updates. The SB2 I played the most on Saturday and Sunday was mine with Silver Bybee Purifiers in the output section.

Wayne

mgalusha

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:19 am »
You and George and Turk and mgalusha and freejazz etc, all have the latest upgrades.

Yep and it's sounding a nice as ever. :thumb:

Geroge, I think you'll like the Gold Bybees. Silly money but they did make a nice improvement to my SB.

mike

yo2tup

« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:59 am »

Yep and it's sounding a nice as ever. :thumb:

Geroge, I think you'll like the Gold Bybees. Silly money but they did make a nice improvement to my SB.

mike

what type of improvement do you hear with the gold bybees? 

Wayne1

« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2006, 02:40 pm »
The gold purifiers are just more "analog" sounding.

George has the latest version that Jack Bybee just introduced after RMAF. They are using very special 14K solid gold leads. It is different than the one's I have used in the past. I didn't get much of a chance to listen before I shipped it out to George.

When I first tried the Gold Purifiers, I brought the SB over to mgalusha's place within a day of installing them. We were both pretty amazed at what they did for the sound. It was the closest I have heard a digital system come to good vinyl. The sound is just more "relaxed" and "natural" All the detail is there, but it is just more enjoyable to listen to.