Computer As Signal Source?

Daryl

Computer As Signal Source?
« on: 14 Nov 2006, 05:03 am »
Hi All,

I have been wanting to upgrade my system to keep current.

I like minimalist systems.

I want only a disc player that plays all formats and a premium AV reciever.

However manufacturers have been doing nothing but screw-up recently.

First SACD and DVD-A formats were introduced which are incompatible with standard digital connections (looks like they will likely be gone soon anyway).

Now HD discs have been introduced and all manufacturers seem to have displayed supreme stupidity.

Two incompatible formats were introduced (VHS and Beta again?).

All players available are incompetently designed and barely operate.

More new audio formats have been  anounced with the introduction of HD but no reciever or disc player can play them.

HDMI interface was introduced and it was known that it was unable to do everything it is supposed to before the first equipment was introduced with it  and a second version introduced quickly.

Obviously there is no disc player or AVR that I could buy now and not have to immediatly replace (there isn't even an all format disc player).

My question is will there likely be software available soon that will be able to decode all audio/video formats?

I know the drives will be available soon.

I know with a computer you can upgrade software and hardware one piece at a time and it is inexpensive I just don't know if it will be possible anytime soon for a computer to decode all formats.

Thank guys,

Daryl

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Computer As Signal Source?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2006, 10:41 pm »

All players available are incompetently designed and barely operate.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel  :lol:

I know with a computer you can upgrade software and hardware one piece at a time and it is inexpensive I just don't know if it will be possible anytime soon for a computer to decode all formats.

Unfortunately, or fortunately as the case may eventually be, the new HD-DVD and Blueray players are computers. The have processors, software and a boot-up cycle. So you should be able to patch them with a particular capability to play Format X, but of course the drive would have to be upgraded usually. So yes, we are cut by the cutting edge, and this is the edge where there is so much money to be made in the future that we in the present are the least concern.

I am sure a PC could do it all eventually, when things are settled, but by then won't we have convergence of PCs and audio/video?