ULTRA DAC impressions please?

Rob S.

ULTRA DAC impressions please?
« on: 13 Nov 2006, 03:24 pm »
Hi all,
     I'm new to the digital realm of audio and have the ULTRA DAC at the top of my list to help clean up my dig. front end. I realize I'll get good feedback on this forum, but before I spent 1600 bucks, what other DAC's would make the real short list.  OR if you've got an ULTRA, what did  you choose it over after auditioning several dacs? 

Great thing about the AVA DAC is the 30 day trial period.  I'm looking forward to trying it with both DVD player and carousel CDp, especially to see if the transport doesn't make any difference at all.  ( jitter )

You can pm me or I can get another thread going in another category.  Or just post here if it doesn't upset the rules.

Thanks,

Rob S. 

Dan Kolton

Re: ULTRA DAC impressions please?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2006, 04:18 pm »
I chose the Ultra over my previous AVA DAC.  No auditioning discs-just sent it in for upgrade 'cause Frank told me it sounded better.  He's never told me this without proving to be correct, and I've sure had lots of experience with his stuff (since the tube PAS Dyna in the '70s).

Zheeeem

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2006, 05:10 pm »
My first DAC was an Omega.  It made more difference than any other electronics I had ever bought.  So, when it was time to upgrade I went with the Ultra.  While the Omega is a great DAC, the Ultra is better.  Read Suzy's TAS review.  She liked it... a lot!!!

Toka

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2006, 06:49 pm »
Is the Ultra DAC HDCD compatible? How about DVD-A/SACD?

EclecticSeeker

• Archetypical aging audiophile...
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2006, 08:12 pm »
I have an Electrocompaniet DAC that I am very happy with.  If you want to check out a non-AVA, by all means try this manufacturer.  I would love an opportunity to A-B it against Frank’s Ultra, though. 

By the by, Zheeeem mentions the Sue Kraft review – I note that she has also listed the Ultra DAC as associated equipment for other reviews, which I take as an indicator that she uses it in her own system on an ongoing basis…

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2006, 08:17 pm »
Actually Sue Kraft has requested that she be allowed to purchase the Ultra DAC and Ultra SL preamp reviewed.  She is keeping them.

Frank Van Alstine

Rob S.

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2006, 08:28 pm »
Pulled the trigger, guys, it's on order.  Thanks for the input.  Maybe I'll toy around with another similarly priced DAC and see how they compare.

Rob S.

Rob S.

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2006, 08:31 pm »
And thanks to Frank too for spending the time answering my questions.  Reminds me of talking to my CE dad.

tonyptony

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2006, 11:59 pm »
Actually Sue Kraft has requested that she be allowed to purchase the Ultra DAC and Ultra SL preamp reviewed.  She is keeping them.

Frank Van Alstine

Frank, I just don't get why she wouldn't also want the FetValve Ultra! I read her article but just can't figure it.  :scratch:

rustneversleeps

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:39 am »
Who is Sue Kraft and what's her credential?

I read the article, she offered no circuit description of the equipment, just said they sounded good, and something about some cables. Why should I believe her?

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2006, 07:05 pm »
I suppose one could consider that if The Absolute Sound hires a reviewer, they must have some respect for her hearing and writing ability.  Certainly in the field of subjective audio equipment reviewing, engineering degrees are not really necessary.

I did not like what she had to say about the 550 amplifier, but that was her opinion (not shared by many) and I have since suggested to her that she may have been overly impressed by the big B&W 800D speakers she was using at the time (and still is).  We considered them to be bass shy when we heard them at her place (as we do with all the previous 2-woofer B&W models we have previously heard) (the big single woofer models are a different story).  You need an amp with a big fat bass response to make the 800Ds reach deep, and we are not into that.  We are still friends.

Frank Van Alstine

tonyptony

« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2006, 12:58 am »
I did not like what she had to say about the 550 amplifier, but that was her opinion (not shared by many)

Hmm, you're a gentleman, Frank. I'd say "not shared by any"!  :shake:

miklorsmith

« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2006, 01:10 am »
This anecdote highlights one of the hazards of reviewing - system synergy.  It is absolutely inevitable that opinions of gear (professional or not) are heavily influenced by companion equipment.

I don't pay much credence to most reviews anymore.  On the other hand, if you can find that you identify and agree with a particular reviewer on pieces you know, ride those coattails!  Otherwise, buyer beware.

Toka

« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2006, 03:31 pm »
Can anyone post a summary/portion of her reviews? I missed the mag in stores but am curious to read what she had to say...not that I need convincing, but still.  :green:

Zheeeem

« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2006, 10:32 am »
Who is Sue Kraft and what's her credential?

I read the article, she offered no circuit description of the equipment, just said they sounded good, and something about some cables. Why should I believe her?

What are the "credentials" of any reviewers?  And, for that matter, why believe any of them?

rustneversleeps

« Reply #15 on: 18 Nov 2006, 04:52 pm »
I don't.

I buy stuff only if the price is right to keep the risk to minimal. My buying decision is not driven by eq. reviewers that I don't know from nowhere.

Magazine articles have no influence on my buying decision, I read magazine only to gain knowledge of what is out there.