Sound absortion from DLP Tv

Antman27

Sound absortion from DLP Tv
« on: 12 Nov 2006, 04:35 pm »
Hello all , may be a strange question but is there anything I can put on the wall behind my DLP TV to quiet down the fan and color wheel noise .
When I am watching TV late & night and it is at a low volume you can hear the fan noise .
Thanks

arthurs

Re: Sound absortion from DLP Tv
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2006, 06:21 pm »
I actually got a sample acoustic panel piece that's about 8x10 and a couple inches thick.  I hung it on the wall directly behind mine, seems to cut down a bit on my ability to hear it but doesn't eliminate it.  Unfortunately I think that's one of those things that if you can hear it, and not everyone does, you'll always know it's there and pretty much always hear it...if that makes sense.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2006, 07:27 pm »
If you can get something a couple inches thick and even potentially make some 'wings' on the sides of it to force it to take a circuitous route, it can help a lot with mid and high frequencies.  Cover in the fabric of your choice.  Something like 4.5lb mineral wool or 3lb fiberglass will work fine.

Bryan

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2006, 08:35 pm »
is there anything I can put on the wall behind my DLP TV to quiet down the fan and color wheel noise .

You already got the right answer - high quality acoustic foam or rigid fiberglass. This is exactly what I did with my computer to absorb the fan noise from the rear so it doesn't reflect back into the room. Photo below.

--Ethan