Resurrect "Shutterbug"?

brj

Re: Resurrect "Shutterbug"?
« Reply #40 on: 6 Jun 2007, 08:20 pm »
I'd certainly read such a circle, although it doesn't hurt to start slow with the "sticky thread" idea.

I do like the idea of an "off topic" category, if we start growing the number of non-audio circles.  That would help diversify all of those topics that currently end up in the Sports Bar and make them easier to follow according to personal preference.

Levi

« Reply #41 on: 6 Jun 2007, 08:40 pm »
Great idea John.  I can see this is going to be a hit already.

Or "film vs digital"  :icon_lol:

Well, some interest... if I start a poll for it I'd like to suggest that the circle be more about taking photographs than about equipment. Maybe we can have a rule - no starting a thread unless there's a photograph in it (that you took yourself). And you have to say something about the photo as well. I think that would make the circle more interesting. (And avoid the endless "which compact P&S should I buy?" threads.)

nathanm

« Reply #42 on: 6 Jun 2007, 09:13 pm »
I also think it would be cool if it was more about art and less about gear.  A tall order I suppose, but a nice thought.  The other nice thing is that this circle would be fundamentally different than anything else on the site in that it's about creating art rather than the best way to reproduce the art of others.  With photography you can't blame the mastering engineer if you don't like the results.  Unless you are the mastering engineer that is, but there aren't a whole lot of 'em here as far as I know.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #43 on: 6 Jun 2007, 09:21 pm »
I also think it would be cool if it was more about art and less about gear. 

YES!!!   :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #44 on: 6 Jun 2007, 09:28 pm »
I also think it would be cool if it was more about art and less about gear. 

Hey!

Yes, I agreed on that. :D That's said I'm not really gear head. But like audio you just can't get away from talking a gears. :wink: So, a good mix of both is call for.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #45 on: 6 Jun 2007, 10:54 pm »
The camera is a Shen-Hao.

Way cool :thumb: This is the same one?

http://www.kgcphoto.com/Reviews_&_Tutorials/shen-hao_and_lf_lenses.htm

I'll PM you about the thread/circle thing.

brj

« Reply #46 on: 6 Jun 2007, 11:31 pm »
Quote from: JohnR
Maybe we can have a rule - no starting a thread unless there's a photograph in it (that you took yourself). And you have to say something about the photo as well.

I'd prefer phrasing that as a recommendation rather than a requirement... many people with potentially valuable contributions may only be occasional photographers that don't have a pile of ready material to post, or may just be more private in nature, or you may be at work without access to your pictures.

I have to admit that while I like great pictures, the gear is of interest to me as well, especially as a means of getting great pictures.  One of the reasons I like AC is the broad knowledge base among generally friendly and helpful people, and tapping that resource for topics other than audio is also enjoyable.

(For example, I've spent several hours researching filters lately, and short circuiting that effort with a single response from a knowledgeable AC member would have been welcome.)

TONEPUB

« Reply #47 on: 6 Jun 2007, 11:34 pm »
Id be happy to lend a hand...

I've spent the last 30 years earning my living with a camera
and have worked with Epson, Roland and Adobe as a consultant.

Not always the best with those "what P&S should I buy"
questions, but Ill do my best to help!

Sounds like fun.

Levi

« Reply #48 on: 7 Jun 2007, 12:10 am »
John, that wide format camera looks trick!  I always love great images from a wide format camera. 

Levi

« Reply #49 on: 7 Jun 2007, 12:12 am »
We should have a place to post "picture of the day" and I think Shutterbug will be the best place for them.

Robert57

« Reply #50 on: 7 Jun 2007, 12:18 am »
Quote from: JohnR
Maybe we can have a rule - no starting a thread unless there's a photograph in it (that you took yourself). And you have to say something about the photo as well.

I'd prefer phrasing that as a recommendation rather than a requirement... many people with potentially valuable contributions may only be occasional photographers that don't have a pile of ready material to post, or may just be more private in nature, or you may be at work without access to your pictures.

I have to admit that while I like great pictures, the gear is of interest to me as well, especially as a means of getting great pictures.  One of the reasons I like AC is the broad knowledge base among generally friendly and helpful people, and tapping that resource for topics other than audio is also enjoyable.

(For example, I've spent several hours researching filters lately, and short circuiting that effort with a single response from a knowledgeable AC member would have been welcome.)

I have to agree with brj. Limiting the photos to images you shot yourself could be too intimidating for most folks. I like the idea of emphasizing the art over the gear, but would favor discussing gear to the extent that it unlocks or furthers artistic expressiveness, rather than just being the latest cool gadget or expensive new gen. digital camera. I used to own and run Washington D.C.'s best known pro photo lab and digital imaging firm, having been a passionate amateur nature landscape photographer, most recently using a 4x5 view camera.  Like Nathan, I am very tired of the over-sharpened look of digital, and the prefer to push against the tide toward more impressionistic analog photgraphy. Using a 120 roll-film back with a large format camera has been nice compromise of convenience with using the movements, and having more deliberate approach to picture making that a view camera demands.

Sadly, the stresses of running the lab burned me out on taking pictures for myself. After a 10+ year break, I am now trying to reconnect with photography in a fresh artistic way and would enjoy seeing stimulating, new compelling visual approaches, whether by AC members or by other fine photographers.  I would welcome seeing examples of interesting, authentic (as opposed to gimmicky) new styles or visions which stand apart fom the cliches and familiar approaches. It would be a healthy challenge for posters to state what they feel is interesting or noteworthy about the work--not just what is cool or amazing. What makes the photographer's portfolio or the particular photo special or fresh as art, and makes us see things in new way? Beauty is not a bad thing either--not all great photos have to be provocative or disturbing.

I'm in favor of trying out a dedicated circle for photography. I've actually found it helpful to think of Hi Fi sound reproduction through the metaphor of the visual photo print.

Rob

nathanm

« Reply #51 on: 7 Jun 2007, 01:16 am »
Johnr: Yep, that's the camera.  I got mine on eBay from a guy along with a whole bunch of other accessories included, even a box of Fuji Velvia.  I just gotta figure out where to get the stuff developed, though.  I haven't used a photo lab in ages. 

There needn't be any hard and fast rules about what is and isn't allowed to be talked about of course, (well, besides being about photography!) I just think it is beneficial to focus on the talents rather than the tools.  Of course the tools are very cool, but just like audio it's easy to get mired in the technical side.  Ken Rockwell's website has an excellent tellin'-it-like-it-is essay on why your camera doesn't matter.  Quite true.

How many of ya'll have Flickr accounts here out of curiosity?  I am not sure if you can link to images on that site or not, I will have to check.

Also, I have put a poll in Town Square where you can vote on the name for this new circle.

SET Man

« Reply #52 on: 7 Jun 2007, 01:21 am »

How many of ya'll have Flickr accounts here out of curiosity?  I am not sure if you can link to images on that site or not, I will have to check.

Hey!

I have Flickr.com account and yes you can link photo from the site. :D

This is from the site...

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #53 on: 7 Jun 2007, 02:53 pm »
So.....Who's gonna start a photo thread? aa

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 7 Jun 2007, 02:56 pm »
Nevermind........ :roll:........I just found more "photo chat";

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=41812.0

Levi

« Reply #55 on: 15 Jun 2007, 05:27 am »
Hey John, congrats on the new "Shutterbug"!  It looks like a hit from the start.  :thumb: