Early impressions of Timepiece 2.1s

Russell Dawkins

Early impressions of Timepiece 2.1s
« on: 7 Nov 2006, 12:15 am »
Just today I replied to a PM from a mastering engineer on a pro recording site who asked what I thought of the Timepiece 2.1s so far, since he was considering them along with Lipinskis.
I told him it was a little early to be definitive, given my amplifier situation, but sent him my impressions to date. I thought some of you might be interested in what I had to say, so here's a copy:

Russell,

I was wondering how those SP Timepiece Monitors are working out for you. With only a couple reviews and a little word of mouth, my research shows that these are the best.
What do you think?

Thank you,

XXXXXX

They are really fine speakers, as far as I can tell so far, and do everything I was looking for except one thing, and that is not their fault.

They need much more power than I currently have and so am in the mode of searching for a high power amp that has huge reserves of power. This is a limitation, but one I feel worth the trouble. I bought a pair of Nuforce ref 9SEs and they don't quite have it in the cojones department.

Make no mistake, if you want that sensation of effortlessness at moderately high levels you need a genuine, solid 300 WPC into 8 ohms.

From that perspective there could be an argument made that the Continuum would be a better choice since its impedance is 4 ohms and that would open up the field more for amp selection, since high power into 4 ohms is much more easy to come by and may be arrived at cheaper than same power into 8 ohms.

As they are, though, they are easily the most accurate tonally of any speaker I have heard (haven't heard the Lipinskis, but they have significantly less bass extension).
This accuracy doesn't mean they are not capable of sounding beautiful on worthy material, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Bass is truly superb, too, and mating with my subwoofers was extremely easy to get perfect. Never has it been so instantly obvious when the subs are in correct polarity. I am crossing the subs in at 35 Hz and this has a mostly inaudible, sometimes subtle and occasionally significant effect. Never a detriment. Sweet!

Even without the subs, the bass was the best I have had in this room (which is somewhat optimized for the bass range by design). With the subs (Hsu 10 inch in sonotubes circa 1994) the bass is about perfect. Easy to make mixing and mastering decisions in that area. I find articulate and believable bass extremely elusive and rare (and essential to me) and this was the focus of my speaker selection process and the clincher.

When I asked Bill Roberts (who reviewed them) what he remembers most about the TPs he said "the quality of the bass"

To that I would add "the dynamic articulation". This is revealed in such things as that oh-so-subtle sound of the piano hammer felts just touching the strings in pianissimo sections on solo piano recordings. I have a recording I made 6 years ago where I was trying to capture that, when I played in on the TPs - even with my old amp, a Musical Fidelity A3 CR, one of my first impressions was that now I could clearly hear that I had, in fact, captured it.

Hope this helps.

Russell

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Early impressions of Timepiece 2.1s
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2006, 12:32 am »
Interesting information Russell. Not to long ago, I sold a pair of Continuums to a recording engineer along with a custom build 70 watt tube amp. Long story short, after a few months, he is completely satisfied with the combination.

I too have found that the SP Techs perform more to their potential with higher power/current amplifiers. The best I found in my situation at the time was tube amps of 100-200 watts. (I only deal with tubes anymore).

Now that I have started recovering from the flood situation, I will be bringing in a pair of Timepieces both for display as well as to pair up with the Bella Extreme 100 amplifiers. I would LOVE to have a pair of Revelations but this simply is not feasible at the moment.

Bob's speakers are truly amazing and it has been a performance I have missed since having to let the Continuums go in July.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2006, 06:05 am »
Interesting information Russell. Not to long ago, I sold a pair of Continuums to a recording engineer along with a custom build 70 watt tube amp. Long story short, after a few months, he is completely satisfied with the combination.

I too have found that the SP Techs perform more to their potential with higher power/current amplifiers. The best I found in my situation at the time was tube amps of 100-200 watts. (I only deal with tubes anymore).

Now that I have started recovering from the flood situation, I will be bringing in a pair of Timepieces both for display as well as to pair up with the Bella Extreme 100 amplifiers. I would LOVE to have a pair of Revelations but this simply is not feasible at the moment.

Bob's speakers are truly amazing and it has been a performance I have missed since having to let the Continuums go in July.

I am guessing the ASL Hurricanes would have what it takes, at 200 tube watts! There's a cheap pair up on Agon now, or at least yesterday.

Although this may seem heresy, I'll bet in hindsight that the biggest bang for the buck would be the Continuum A.D.s and a good pair of subs, like Hsu, crossed at 35 - 40 Hz. I say this only because the cheaper Continuums don't go as low as the Timepieces (fewer cubes per driver, I think) and the TPs were incredibly easy to match with my subs. I've tried this on many systems over the years and I almost never can stand the results, but with the TPs it was not only dead simple, but totally without any audible downside.
The synergy between my subs crossed at 35 Hz and the TPs is fantastic.

If the same were true for the Continuums, you'd have a poor man's Revelation. There's a song in there somewhere.

The kicker would be that when you are looking to find a suitable amp partner for that combo, the possibilities open right up, since the solid state world is basically 4 ohm world.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2006, 06:54 am »
Thanks for the impressions, Russell.  Iirc, you bought these speakers without hearing them first and it's good to know that your intuition was spot on - and, it seems that Bob's original request that you have 300w+ on tap was spot on as well.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2006, 11:23 pm »
Although this may seem heresy, I'll bet in hindsight that the biggest bang for the buck would be the Continuum A.D.s and a good pair of subs, like Hsu, crossed at 35 - 40 Hz. I say this only because the cheaper Continuums don't go as low as the Timepieces (fewer cubes per driver, I think)

In theory this may be true but if the Timepieces (which I have yet to audition personally) go deeper than the Continuums, there is no need for a sub at all. There are other factors that come into play in regard to the low end extension of the Continuums which Bob has discussed in depth throughout his circle. A lot of it will have to do with the amplifier and the current it delivers at 4 ohms. You are also moving twice the amount of cone space with less effort from the amplifier which results in moving more air with less effort.

I would have to guess (scientifically) that the Continuums will provide much more in terms of dynamic control and extension. The Timepieces may be rated lower but the Continumms will do it in a much more linear fashion. Please keep in mind that I am not implying that the Timepieces are not very impressive in the bottom end.

My conclusions at this time are based on the same experience with my Bella speakers. The Bella 2's, which are designed around the Continuum cabinet (same volume/no constrained layering) go much deeper than the Bella 1's which are based on the Timepiece cabinet.