Great interconnects on the cheap

weirdo

Great interconnects on the cheap
« on: 6 Nov 2006, 07:02 pm »
I am considering building my own interconnects. I plan to solder fine guage silver wire and enclose the wires in plastic tubing. that much I know. the question is, what RCA connector is good and cheap and has the qualities necessary to compliment a high-end system? I don't want to use the bullett connectors because me soldering skills are novice. Any suggestions? thanks. 

gooberdude

Re: Great interconnects on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2006, 07:17 pm »
I just received a brand new silver cable from Promitheus Audio, its still burning in but i'm impressed.  The design is identical to what you are describing.  The RCA's are Canare, not sure what model though...they have a long metal strain relief on the back.  Check out promitheus' site for a picture. www.promitheusaudio.com.    For $70, they are a great pre-made cable.    The design seems to work well, but this is my 1st silver cable experience so i have no reference.   each cable has 2 solid core silver strands & each strand is inside a clear tube.    these cables are by a large margin the most maneuverable i've owned.

No issues with the Eichmann's & your skills... i have zero solder skills and repaired an IC with Bulletts a few months back.  many claim they are actually easier to work with if you have limited experience.

Kevin Haskins

Re: Great interconnects on the cheap
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2006, 01:08 am »
I like the Cardas RCAs.   I don't like cheap plastic ones.  The skill used in termination is as important as the materials being used so craftsmanship & pride of work count.

Cheap is a relative term but the Canare twisted pair is about as cheap as they come unless you want to use the ICs that come in your cheap DVD players box.  ;-)    They will look and perform like something much more expensive when built right.

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=89_117_122_126&products_id=609

If you want to spend more money I'd get the Cardas G-Master Reference. 

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=89_117_122_126&products_id=594