Spoke with Klaus - Made the leap...

DogWizard

Spoke with Klaus - Made the leap...
« on: 5 Nov 2006, 04:11 pm »
I've been looking for some new gear for a while and after spending some time lurking here and reading through a couple of years of Odyssey history, I decided that I should just give Klaus a call. What a great guy! I called out of the blue and we had a nice long chat and as others have mentioned, he was much more interested in finding out what my needs were and what other equipment I would be using than selling me on any particular products. We talked budget and luckily I had spent enough time researching the Odyssey products that I already had a good idea of what I was looking for.

A Candela was a must - I have been looking to move from all-tube to a tube pre and SS amps. The only remaining question was where to go with the amps - Khartago or Stratos? Size is an issue for me so upgraded Khartago (Stratos) Mono's was the decision. Unfortunately, I have spent the weekend second-guessing as I really prefer the Stratos case and the upgrade path available with the Stratos. If I stick with the Khartago Mono's I lose the "Extreme" possibilities. There is also the fact that the size savings I was hoping to realize by going with the Khartago cases may be negated by the fact that they shouldn't be stacked...

So my question to the satisfied Odyssey owners out there - what do you think? Has anyone gone Khartago "extreme" and been disappointed (not in the bad way, more like the "should have just gone with more" way) to the point that an immediate upgrade was needed? I am a bang for the buck guy, but I also believe in spending wisely once and if it costs more up front, then so be it...

I will be driving the new AV123 Strata Mini's with another pair of the Focus LS-6's on the way shortly (think Danny Richies Alpha Line-Sources) so while extra headroom is always a plus, there shouldn't be any issue with power

If anyone out there is sitting on the fence - get off and just give Klaus a call. He is a really easy-going guy who knows what he knows and calls it like he sees it. I look forward to a long and interesting relationship with Klaus and the Odyssey products...

Thanks for any advice and brace yourselves for more questions to come,
-DogWizard

« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2006, 08:38 pm by DogWizard »

byteme

Re: Spoke with Klaus - Made the leap...
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2006, 05:23 pm »
I don't have any Khartago experience, but I'm very happy I went the Stratos route.  Started with a standard Stratos, had it upgraded to Extreme during the wait time before it was built and then 1.5 or so years later sent the Stratos extreme in, got it upgraded to Mono extreme and purchased another mono extreme.  VERY happy!!  Especially with the synergy between those driving the Lorelie's via a tube preamp (deHavilland Ultraverve).  Really great great stuff!

oz350z

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2006, 05:44 pm »

If anyone out there is sitting on the fence - get off and just give Klaus a call. He is a really easy-going guy who knows what he knows and calls it like he sees it. I look forward to a long and interesting relationship with Klaus and the Odyssey products...

DogWizard

aa Congratulations on placing your order! I have been interested in Odyssey equipment for a couple of years now. It all started with reading the reviews on audio review. I can't believe I just found this forum a couple of days ago. In fact I didn't know about the newish Candela Pre Amp. I want to order this unit as well. I think for me a tube front end with good power in the amplification area will give me the best of both worlds. I am thinking of going with either the Stratos Mono's with all the upgrades at 2,295 or the Mono Extremes at 2,900. I'm not exactly clear on what the difference is. The web site Odyssey web site is not real clear on that and it's frustrating to navigate. I was wondering if you conversation with Klause covered these amplifiers? Or if any one else in the know would care to chime in. Not trying to hyjack your thread though. I just wanted to express my shared enthusiasm from one board member to another. I can't wait till I place my order.
oz

DogWizard

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2006, 06:10 pm »
Oz,

No issue with the "hijack" - this circle reminds me of the AV123 crowd - lots of friendly people enjoying their gear and happy to help the new guys on the block. We did discuss the Stratos as my inital idea was to go with the Stratos Stereo Extreme with the possibilty of moving to monos in the future. While my HT and 2-channel systems and independant, they share the same room so space is at a premium and I though that by going single chassis for now, I could save some space. Klaus was very upfront with me about his belief that the "extreme" Khartago Monos (basically Stratos Monos in Khartago cases) would easily out perform the Stratos Stereo Extreme. The only issue I have is that the Khartago Mono Extremes have gone as far as they can - you cannot fit a true Stratos Mono Extreme in a Khartago chassis.

I would recommend spending some time on the Odyssey Mexico site - it is much more detailed and has an easy comparison chart showing the nuts-and-bolts differences between the products. That and call Klaus, he will be happy to steer you in the right direction. I may end up going with the Stratos just for the potential upgrade path (and the nicer chassis). I would recommend that if you are looking to make a move shortly that you call Klaus soon - RMAF was verrry good to Odyssey and he is really getting backed up. It looks like the word is getting out on the Candela...

Thanks and Good Luck,

-DogWizard

oz350z

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2006, 06:55 pm »
DogWizard

Thanks for the heads up on the Mexico site. Much better! So to me it looks like the Mono extreme is a Stratos Mono Extreme. Dohh!
The Candela does sound great. I would like to hear more about tube rolling and the results.
oz

byteme

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2006, 08:21 pm »
I originally went with the Stratos extreme because I, too, have my HT and 2 channel rig sharing the same room and rack.  I would have had to stay with the stereo stratos if it weren't for getting a new TV - the stand I got for the TV happens to be PERFECT (Sanus EFAV-II) for fitting a pair of mono's underneath so it actually cleared up room on my rack. :thumb:

The mono extremes, as I'm sure you've read, increase dynamics, control, soundstage and realism.

bunky

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2006, 01:25 am »
I've been looking for some new gear for a while and after spending some time lurking here and reading through a couple of years of Odyssey history, I decided that I should just give Klaus a call. What a great guy! I called out of the blue and we had a nice long chat and as others have mentioned, he was much more interested in finding out what my needs were and what other equipment I would be using than selling me on any particular products. We talked budget and luckily I had spent enough time researching the Odyssey products that I already had a good idea of what I was looking for.

A Candela was a must - I have been looking to move from all-tube to a tube pre and SS amps. The only remaining question was where to go with the amps - Khartago or Stratos? Size is an issue for me so upgraded Khartago (Stratos) Mono's was the decision. Unfortunately, I have spent the weekend second-guessing as I really prefer the Stratos case and the upgrade path available with the Stratos. If I stick with the Khartago Mono's I lose the "Extreme" possibilities. There is also the fact that the size savings I was hoping to realize by going with the Khartago cases may be negated by the fact that they shouldn't be stacked...

So my question to the satisfied Odyssey owners out there - what do you think? Has anyone gone Khartago "extreme" and been disappointed (not in the bad way, more like the "should have just gone with more" way) to the point that an immediate upgrade was needed? I am a bang for the buck guy, but I also believe in spending wisely once and if it costs more up front, then so be it...

I will be driving the new AV123 Strata Mini's with another pair of the Focus LS-6's on the way shortly (think Danny Richies Alpha Line-Sources) so while extra headroom is always a plus, there shouldn't be any issue with power

Thanks for any advice and brace yourselves for more questions to come,
-DogWizard

Hey DogWizard,i once owned a pair of upgraded Khartago monos and they sounded so good that i kept wondering what it would be like to own a pair of mono extremes. after eight months or so i called Klaus and asked him to build me a pair of mono extremes. the mono extremes sound like the Khartago monos on steroids! more powerful, faster and still very smooth. the Candela is a fantastic preamplifier and is very receptive to tube rolling. i am running a pair of NOS Amperex Holland ECC186/7316 PQ's :drool:  and the sound of it is so right in my two channel rig that it makes me want to pinch myself to make sure i am not dreaming. Klaus and the boys turn out some really great gear :thumb: . Enjoy....WCW III

DogWizard

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2006, 02:07 am »
Thanks everyone for the replies and the recommendations - please keep 'em coming!

Bunky - I was rather hoping that you would chime in. I thought that I remembered you making the same switch and I was curious to hear your impressions. I think that it's safe to say that the Stratos Mono Extremes are the ultimate Odyssey choice. When you say that they are like the Khartago's on steroids, how much of that is extra power related? Given everything that I have read, it is the "Odyssey Sound" that I am after and if the Khartago's retain that sound, it may be all that I need given that I will be driving extremely effecient speakers.

How upgraded were your Khartago Mono's? When Klaus and I spoke we discussed the options for reducing space and he suggested Stratos Mono innards in Khartago cases. I'm not quite sure how that can fit given the height of the transformers but I will take his word for it that it can be done. By all accounts, the regular Khartago's are great little amps so I'm just trying to decide if going to Standard Stratos Mono's will be enough...Were you able to trade your Khartagos in or did you need to sell them outright? I thought I remember reading something about a trade in policy but I read several years worth of threads in a very short time so I'm a bit fuzzy...

Thanks Again,
-DogWizard

undertow

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2006, 05:38 am »
Originally I was pushing the fact I needed khartagos for the size.. I had them for a while, but the difference is that they are smaller, but run hotter, and simply need more space to breath anyway.. The stratos cases are what I have now, they are better.. mine never break metal temp, always cold... The khartagos after a good long run at some high volumes would heat like most conventional amps, not the stratos... take it or leave it for what its worth, beyond that sound is similar, but the better power supplies with dual transformers that stack in the stratos if you opt for that at some point truley jump to top tier level smooth sound and power.

Haoleb

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2006, 07:14 am »
I dont think there is any way you would be dissapointed with the Khartago mono's,  When I recieved my Mono's with cap upgrade I was pretty impressed, And I still am just as impressed as I was when i first laid eyes on them. Personally I think the Stratos would have been too big, The case is probbably nicer but keep in mind that the Khartago case is also quite nice. Better than I thought it would be. When I first talked to Klaus a Stratos extreme stereo was on my mind, After the first call and a talk with Klaus the Khartago mono's were on order. If your choice is upgraded Khartago mono's vs Standard Stratos mono's I would go with the Khartago's.  If you  think you wont be satisfied without the very best, then Stratos extreme mono's I guess  :thumb:

bunky

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2006, 09:51 am »
I dont think there is any way you would be dissapointed with the Khartago mono's,  When I recieved my Mono's with cap upgrade I was pretty impressed, And I still am just as impressed as I was when i first laid eyes on them. Personally I think the Stratos would have been too big, The case is probbably nicer but keep in mind that the Khartago case is also quite nice. Better than I thought it would be. When I first talked to Klaus a Stratos extreme stereo was on my mind, After the first call and a talk with Klaus the Khartago mono's were on order. If your choice is upgraded Khartago mono's vs Standard Stratos mono's I would go with the Khartago's.  If you  think you wont be satisfied without the very best, then Stratos extreme mono's I guess  :thumb:
I always thought the Khartago monoblocks were really something special and i still do to this day :thumb: .thanks....WCW III

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2006, 08:54 am »
Darin,

Welcome to the dark side,  hehehe

Klaus

George

• spydernation
« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2006, 10:19 pm »
I myself have just gotten off the phone with Herr Bunge.

For me, the Odyssey begins in 2007.

Steve Vol

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2006, 11:15 pm »
I ordered my mono extremes at RMAF.  Hope to have them in a few weeks :drool:

Good luck on yours.

DMi

« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2006, 11:06 pm »
Looks like Steve beat me to the order on some Mono Extremes, I'm drooling also but that might be a side effect of my medication. I second or third the invite onto your Odyssey. Mine began in November of 2001 and I still have the Stratos Plus which will be a three channel soon. BTW, careful with that Klaus guy, he is full of evil temptations. :)

Honestly my dealing with Klaus so far have resulted in some of the best gear I ever bought. Extremely high bang for the buck stuff. You won't regret the leap... in fact you're going to wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

About the comments to go to the Mexico or SG sites, spot on those sites are a lot newer than the stateside one. I completely understand why the US site for Odyssey isn't as nice as some of the International ones. I haven't redone my own companies since about 2000, too busy with everything else and listening to music to upgrade a web site. Since I do webs however it's a little like the plumbers letting his own pipes leak.

Doug Sharp

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2006, 06:48 am »
The Odyssey's at the inaugural Toronto Audio Society meet.

Thanks to Spirit, he lugged these babies out of his basement and to our meet because he just had to share.

Cheers

martinr

« Reply #16 on: 3 Dec 2006, 05:23 pm »
Hello all,
I have been trying to get my password activated on this site since the RMAF and am finally successful - apparently audiocircle did not like my MSN.com email address so I finally used my wifes.......anyway I digress -
I am excited to converse with all of you because I am one of the guys Klaus injected the odyssey fever into at the RMAF. - I bought the stratos extreme monos system with the loreleis and candela pre.  I hope to have my system here in Colorado Springs by the end of this week.  I just finished re-reading the 6-moons Oct 03 review of the Loreleis and cant wait to get the system here in my home.  My current system consists of vintage DBX power and pre amps, monsoon FPF 1000 speakers along with SCS Harmonic recovery, Channel Islands dac and power amp, and Onkyo Integra 6-disc changer into a z-man tubed enhancer -  its an old system Ive modestly attempted to upgrade by patchwork over the years.  My wife an I heard the loreleis and Monos/candela system at the RAF and what suprised was how impressed she was with the sound - I was impressed but did not expect her to suggest purchasing the system - now Im drooling  :drool: in anticipation of its arrival...Ill keep you posted on my experiences and review of the system.

- Martin

TomS

« Reply #17 on: 3 Dec 2006, 05:59 pm »
Congrats - you're gonna love it.  It was certainly one of the best sounding systems at the show BEFORE taking price into account = big value.

martinr

« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2006, 01:59 pm »
My system should be here on Friday - Apparently Klaus is using a new furniture maker for the lorelei cabinets - he says the finish on them is better than ever.

- Martin