Will Pandora play on modded Squeezeboxs?

Frihed91

Will Pandora play on modded Squeezeboxs?
« on: 4 Nov 2006, 11:40 am »
Another question I forgot to ask at RMAF.

I have heard that if one has Red Wine or Bolder modify their squeezebox, then some internet radio stations will not play.  Is that so?  What about Pandora?  Will it work?

I only want to use my squeezebox (EU version) to stream internet radio.  Should I just leave it as is?

mgalusha

Re: Will Pandora play on modded Squeezeboxs?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2006, 01:53 pm »
I don't know about Pandora but one of the mods done by both Bolder and RWA is to remove one of the crystals. This will remove  the ability to play low bit rate streams.

If you are only going to use the SB for internet radio I doubt it's worth getting any mods done to it as most of the streams are 128kb/s or less and not of very high quality. It would still benefit from a better power supply simply because the stock one sucks so bad.

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2006, 02:09 pm »
Yep, Pandora plays on a SB with the crystals removed.

I listen to pandora all the time on my computer. I tried it once on the SB and its sort of slow and lumbering to navagate. Your best bet would be to set your Pandora stations up on your computer, then use your SB to stream the music.

Frihed91

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2006, 04:36 pm »
My only reason for getting a Squeezebox in the first place is to get the signal from Pandora to my preamp or headphone amp.

Is there another, more minimalist, product i can get to do this?

"I tried it once on the SB and its sort of slow and lumbering to navagate. Your best bet would be to set your Pandora stations up on your computer, then use your SB to stream the music" ----- What is the difference?  Can squeezebox lock on and play internet radio stations? 

I have a wireless network and PC(s). 

gitarretyp

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2006, 05:31 pm »

"I tried it once on the SB and its sort of slow and lumbering to navagate. Your best bet would be to set your Pandora stations up on your computer, then use your SB to stream the music" ----- What is the difference?  Can squeezebox lock on and play internet radio stations? 

I have a wireless network and PC(s). 

The difference is typing in names to search for on the SB and searching for stations is cumbersome compared to setting them up via a computer. After you have the pandora stations programed, using the SB is very easy. The SB can play internet stations; however, if you have one of the crystals removed, i think you're limited to stations that stream 128kb/s or greater streams. If you have wayne or vinnie do the mods, just tell them to leave the crystal in place.

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2006, 05:34 pm »
Hi John,

Don't mis-interperate what I wrote. The SB will definately play Pandora, and it does it just fine. My only point was that when you are streaming Pandora through the SB, when you go to hit the song skip option, add or bookmark an artist or something similar, Pandora on the SB moves a bit slower than the standard Slimserver interface. I think its due to the internal processing and then communicating to the website.

On the other hand, when you surf into Pandora on your computer, the site runs relatively quick. In turn, if you use your computer to set up and modify your Pandora stations, it is much, much faster. Once you have your stations set up, they read through to the SB seamlessly.

When it comes to Internet radio on the SB, you have thousands and thousands of choices of stations. SB's Slimserver software gives you several hundred to choose from. You can also manually tune into a station that isn't on the Slimserver list (as I understand it).

Bottom line, no worries mate. The SB is a great way to listen to Pandora and Internet radio (not to mention CDs).