Need math help!

robertwstephens

Re: Need math help!
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2006, 06:29 am »
Thanks for your time and the info!  I will continue to play with the values and evaluate what I hear.  I wonder if the high end distortion is due to the difference in transformers and step up values?  I will build my own tranny some day.  I still need to assembly my Clarinet and figure out what kind of amp I am going to pare with it.  I am having fun with this as always.  If you look at my original post, it is kind of funny where it went.  Peace.  Robert

analog97

« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2006, 02:54 pm »
Thank you so much for the pics, truly worth more than a thousand words.  The "Tee" for loading looks like the best/easiest way to experiment.  I will give it a go.  You are a gent! 8)

robertwstephens

« Reply #22 on: 12 Nov 2006, 08:11 pm »
Hello!  Per Abe's suggestion I tried loading at 150 ohms, since I was getting high end distortion at 96 ohms.  Yikes!!  Now I know what the fuss is about.  I used Jim's calculator to compute putting in a 22k resistor to get a loading of 150 ohms with a 10x tranny.  Everything sounds smoother, more detailed and bigger.  No breakup or distortion in the high notes at all.  That is the best $35 I have spent on audio in a long time.  Thanks for the advise and help Jim and Abe!!!  Peace.  Robert

amandarae

« Reply #23 on: 13 Nov 2006, 12:20 am »
Hello!  Per Abe's suggestion I tried loading at 150 ohms, since I was getting high end distortion at 96 ohms.  Yikes!!  Now I know what the fuss is about.  I used Jim's calculator to compute putting in a 22k resistor to get a loading of 150 ohms with a 10x tranny.  Everything sounds smoother, more detailed and bigger.  No breakup or distortion in the high notes at all.  That is the best $35 I have spent on audio in a long time.  Thanks for the advise and help Jim and Abe!!!  Peace.  Robert

Great!  Leave it like that!  Do not change anything for a while until you become familiar with the setting's "voice" using the the preamp (Cornet 2?).  There's a lot of time ahead of you to play with the loading later when you are absolutely sure that you finally found the "sound" that you are looking for.  

IMHO, you will now hear the real Hagerman phono preamp's (whatever you got) capabilities.  Sometimes I dunno what to use.....Trumpet?...Cornet 2?....Trumpet?.....Cornet 2?.....damn!  Not to mention that I have a full blown preamp with another phono preamp.  

Life is good!

analog97

« Reply #24 on: 13 Nov 2006, 07:16 pm »
So, just to clarify for the "EE challenged".....can I use any properly calculated value resistor from my leftover stash from building 6 Hagtech kits??  I was unsure of the wattage values......sorry!!!!!!.........THANKS!! :?

robertwstephens

« Reply #25 on: 14 Nov 2006, 01:44 pm »
I am an idiot when it comes to electronics.  I used a 1/4" watt resistor I got at radio shack in a bag of 500 for $12.95.  It works right now.  I am not sure if upgrading the resistor would be audible or not.  That seems to be a controversial subject.  I am still shocked at the difference in sound!  My reference LP's for listening are in order:

Los Lobos - La Pistola Y El Carazon!!!!!!!!!!
Grateful Dead - Reckoning
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
Wynton Marsalis - Hot House Flowers
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Best of
Steve Winwood - Back in the High Life

For CD:

Duke Ellington - Blues in Orbit(new remaster in HDCD)!!!!!!
Steve Earl - Train a Comin'!!!!!!!
Eva Cassidy - Songbird
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2006, 02:26 pm by robertwstephens »

analog97

« Reply #26 on: 16 Nov 2006, 10:47 pm »
Again, I ask about the resistor for the "Amandarae 'T' phono-loading" device.  Can I use any 12.8 k ohm left-over resistor from a Bugle or Cornet2 to solder to the RCA jack?   I have just ordered all the parts as posted and just don't want to short out my BEAUTIFUL Cornet2!!!!     Thanks. 

hagtech

« Reply #27 on: 17 Nov 2006, 11:43 pm »
Yes, you can use any leftover resistor.  Nothing will blow up.  You can even short it out if you want.  It'll just be quieter if you do.

jh