Received new iMod - but no improvement

bdh

Received new iMod - but no improvement
« on: 4 Nov 2006, 12:48 am »
I just received my new iMod yesterday - incredibly fast service BTW.
However, I have two 4G 60Gig Photo iPods.  One iModded, the other stock.

The system is iPod->Cardas HP1 1ft mini-to-mini->RSA Hornet->AT-L3000

With a variety of music, lossless rips and iTunes purchases, I can barely hear any difference, if any, between the modded and un-modded iPods.

I could understand if it sounded like crap now and got better with burn-in like one of the posters on this forum expierienced, but I'm hearing the exact same sound and feeling between the two.  Is that normal?  I also have a Nano and can clearly hear it's soundstage is more compressed and there's less control and it's edgier, etc. compared to the two iPod photos.

I know something has been done to the iModded iPod because the volume control doesn't work.

I was hoping for a substantial improvment (or at least some) like everyone else describes.

Thanks,
Brad

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Received new iMod - but no improvement
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2006, 01:29 am »
Hi Brad,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

Definitely burn it in (200+ hours is recommended) and make sure that it is playing music and connected to your amplifier during burn-in.  Playing an album on repeat is a good idea here and will speed up the process.  You don't need to have your amp turned ON, but the iMod needs to be plugged into the amp and playing music.

I could understand if it sounded like crap now and got better with burn-in like one of the posters on this forum expierienced

The system is iPod->Cardas HP1 1ft mini-to-mini->RSA Hornet->AT-L3000

Even out of the box, I would think that an improvement would be heard with the iMod in a system such as yours.

I know something has been done to the iModded iPod because the volume control doesn't work.

Yes, it has been modded just like all the others  :wink:

Also, make sure the EQ is turned OFF. 

I hope this helps,

Vinnie

borelek

• Best regards. serge
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2006, 11:14 am »
.. I can barely hear any difference, if any, between the modded and un-modded iPods.

very, very strange, Brad.

Even out of the box, I would think that an improvement would be heard with the iMod ...

It was, in my case and even before the burn-in. The sound from a regular iPod is very flat and whitout dynamics, unacceptable, in one word. The sound of the iMod compete easily with a good CD transport .

gary

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2006, 02:36 pm »
As Vinnie said, be sure the EQ is off and also make sure "Sound Check" is off. Volume matching might be an issue if you're trying to do an A/B comparison, and unfortunately I don't know how you go about making sure both are playing at the same level but this would be critical. Another thing, what kind of files are you playing? If they're low-quality MP3s they'll sound crappy regardless so make sure you do this kind of comparison with Apple Lossless encoded files.

If all else fails, let it play into an amp for a week straight and then come back and give it another shot. When I got my iMod back from Vinnie the first thing I did was email him and tell him it sounded awful with very distorted highs that hurt my ears. He told me to give it time to let the caps burn in, I did and it was well worth it. The same player now gives me very smooth, analog sounding music similar to an NOS dac but with a little less loss of detail. It's very engaging, the background noise is damn near nothing, and to get better sound from a traditional transport & dac I'd be spending an awful lot of money. Give it a chance, I think you'll like what you hear by next weekend.

Gary

charlie

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2006, 04:40 pm »
The difference between a modded and unmodded Ipod photo were pretty easy to tell for me. Have you tried connecting both Ipods and switching between them on your preamp with the same file playing? I was expecting a bigger difference bewteen the two but the difference is subtle. However it's also much better - smoother and without the grating digital sound of the original Ipod.

As the Imod burns in it may be getting better but I can't tell the difference from day to day. In a few weeks I'll do another a/b with them both.

Charlie

bdh

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2006, 08:35 pm »
I ran it with the amp on non-stop Friday to Monday morning.  And I've been listening to it most of the day, every day, since then.
I've been comparing it the un-modded one all day today.  With the EQ off the iMod sounds a bit more open and clearer.   But I have to strain to hear it and do many A\B comparisons.

However there is a much bigger difference going from non-EQ mode to the Rock setting.  And the Rock setting to me is clearer, more detailed, and more dynamic.  When I put both iPods on the Rock setting, I think I can imagine a tiny improvement in the iMod, but am not sure.

I guess I either have a great un-modded iPod, an iMod that didn't 'take', or my ears just can't tell the difference between these two, but can easily tell the difference between a 4G Photo and a Nano.

Oh well, it was worth a shot I guess.

bdh

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2006, 08:10 pm »
Okay, after three and a half weeks of use, I did another comparison.   I guess the magic burn-in occurs in the third week, because now I hear the difference that everyone has talked about.  The sound is clearer, almost sparkling in comparison.  It has a purer quality to it.  The sound stage is wider and has more dimensionality.  It's more exciting.  The bass is tighter.

There are only two cons - while the bass is tighter and better defined, it is slightly less strong.  While it's still very satisfying because of my L3000's, I prefer not to give up any bass strengh.  And some songs just benefit from the fatter, more reverbrent bass of the stock iPod.
The other issue is that the 'tone' is a little higher on the iMod, or the tone of the iPod is a little lower than the iMod.  My opinion is that the iPod is more correct.  I only notice it with voices.  It's hard to tell if it's the actually tone, or that the lower mid-range is just thinner (which it is).  Obviously I don't have any 'proof' that the iPod is more correct, but I just get the feeling that Annie Lennox and Roger Daltrey's voice is a little meatier than the iMod presents it.
However, even so, the iMod is funner to listen to.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2006, 01:26 pm »
Hi bdh,

Okay, after three and a half weeks of use, I did another comparison.   I guess the magic burn-in occurs in the third week, because now I hear the difference that everyone has talked about.  The sound is clearer, almost sparkling in comparison.  It has a purer quality to it.  The sound stage is wider and has more dimensionality.  It's more exciting.  The bass is tighter.

Wow...3.5 weeks!  Thanks for taking the time to put on the burn-in and posting your findings. 

while the bass is tighter and better defined, it is slightly less strong. 

The magnitude of the bass is not reduced.... it is the quality of the bass that is more controlled (less "muddy"), so it might sound less strong if you are used to the stock unit's less controlled, less articulate bass response?

Thanks again for posting and I'm glad you are enjoying it,

Vinnie

gooberdude

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2006, 04:21 pm »
I have not heard an Imod, though i'm interested.   Just chiming in 'cuz of many personal experiences this last year where i tweaked my set-up and initially heard less bass output - or so I thought.

Just play a degaussing track (cardas sweep track for example) through your system and you'll know why i bring this up...

The type of bass has changed, and to your ears it sounds like less bass.  In fact, its more articulate, tuneful and probably much tighter (based of others observations)...your ears & brain may not be used to it just yet.

for me, one of the best parts of going high end is that turning the volume up is no longer a painful expereince.  When crap is removed from the music signal in your system, it allows you to use your amp & preamp to their fullest potential.

crank it up in other words!   you'll find the bass you want, along with a host of other stuff.

GD

charlie

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2006, 06:17 pm »
Sorry to drag this thread up again but your comments on the lack of bass are right. One of the biggest things I noticed was the thin bass when I got the Imod. However as it burnt in this got better and better. I think I've had mine for a few months now and it's massively improved. The bass sounds really full now.

Charlie

Canyoneagle

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2007, 09:03 pm »
I thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread.
I am a happy new iMod owner, in the early stages of burn-in.  I received it while visiting relatives in colorado, and I immediately charged the iMod, loaded it up with music, plugged the interconnect (the audiopath silver IC, of course :wink:) into an unplugged Super-T amp, and let it run for a couple of days.

When I got back home, I tied it into my system (Omega Compact Hemptones, modified tripath with SLA power) and had several 3-4  hour listening sessions.
My initial impression was "whoa. Amazing vocals, but absolutely NO bass!"
Then I fiddled with the volume control (even though the internal amp has been removed), and found a significant improvement when I put the level at about 90% (it was at 10% or so from my prior fiddling).  The volume level didn't change (of course), but the sound became much fuller from the bass through to the treble.  So, it appears that the iMod is designed to be at its best when the level control is set 90% to 100%.  Vinnie, is this correct?

Once I made that adjustment, I spent hour upon hour listening with my jaw on the floor.  And this is at 50 hours?  I look forward to 200!!!!!!  aa

To my ears, the iMod sounds much smoother and (paradoxically) more detailed than my iPod Nano.  The textures of vocals and the subtle overtones of instruments are startling!!!
I am astounded at how organic the sound is - it is difficult for me to put my finger on it, but 'organic' seems to convey the character of the sound.  In contrast, the Nano sounds 'clean' and 'detailed', but lacks a certain realism that the iMod seems to capture.

An example is the 'An introduction to Nick Drake' album, which I have in Apple Lossless format.   This album was recorded about 40 years ago, and is one of my favorites in the 'folk' genre.  With the iMod, it sounds so smooth and natural that I could swear that it is an LP (to hell with that, it sounds like Nick is in the room) and not a digital music player.  His voice is rich with texture, and the overtones from his guitar sound more like a real guitar than anything I've experienced with home audio.  This is not so with the Nano, which sounds good, but not that good.

I will continue comparing the iMod to my Nano on several reference tracks as time goes on, and will post my findings here.
Thanks Vinnie!
I absolutely LOVE the simplicity of my system, and am amazed at the synergy of the components.  One day in the not too distant future, I think the sig 30 will fit in just splendidly!  :D

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2007, 09:47 pm »
Hi Canyoneagle,

First, thank you for your post.

The volume level didn't change (of course), but the sound became much fuller from the bass through to the treble.  So, it appears that the iMod is designed to be at its best when the level control is set 90% to 100%.  Vinnie, is this correct?

I had two other iMod customers metion this to me (from that same batch).  What you are describing is NOT correct.... I forgot to remove two tiny surface mount resistors from the motherboard.  This is why the volume control still has some influence on the circuit. 

I know you like your iMod now, but it actually needs to come back when you get a chance.   :oops:

To my ears, the iMod sounds much smoother and (paradoxically) more detailed than my iPod Nano.  The textures of vocals and the subtle overtones of instruments are startling!!!
I am astounded at how organic the sound is - it is difficult for me to put my finger on it, but 'organic' seems to convey the character of the sound.  In contrast, the Nano sounds 'clean' and 'detailed', but lacks a certain realism that the iMod seems to capture.

What I will promise it that is sounds even better with it modded properly!  The bass will be stronger and cleaner than the way you are hearing it now.  It's not just the bass... everything will sound better. 

I don't know how I forgot this step when modding a few of those iPods from that batch, but I need to fix it for you.  Luckily, it is a very easy fix for me and it won't take long at all.  I really apologize for the inconvenience. 

I don't think there any others from that small batch of iMods that have this problem where changing the volume control influences the sound, but PLEASE contact me if you are one of them.  It is very easy to tell (not a subtle change in sound). 

I'll take care of this... and pronto!

Best regards,

Vinnie

Canyoneagle

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2007, 10:40 pm »
Okay, cool.  I'll ship it off to you soon.
Is there any way for me to avoid canadian customs charges from your experience (i.e. declare it as used household goods or as a warranty repair) in the process?

Oh, is it okay for me to play it as it is (until I ship it), or should I refrain from listening to it until you've sorted it out?

Thanks for the heads up, and no worries!

Warmly,
Michael
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2007, 10:54 pm by Canyoneagle »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2007, 12:48 am »
Okay, cool.  I'll ship it off to you soon.
Is there any way for me to avoid canadian customs charges from your experience (i.e. declare it as used household goods or as a warranty repair) in the process?

Oh, is it okay for me to play it as it is (until I ship it), or should I refrain from listening to it until you've sorted it out?

Thanks for the heads up, and no worries!

Warmly,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your understanding... much appreicated.

Yes, I will declare it as a "used, portable MP3 player... returned from warranty repair," as this is the truth and you shouldn't have to pay customs again.  Of course you are not using MP3s on it  :wink:

Yes, you can use it as is... it will be fine until whenever you are ready.  I just wanted you to know that it will sound better after I fix it.  I'm glad you are enjoying it as is!   :thumb:

Thanks again,

Vinnie