What audio stuff are you getting for the holidays?

bob82274

« on: 24 Dec 2002, 11:44 pm »
As for me it might consist of some music and some movies but unfortunatly no new gear.  I have been spending some time doing mods to things I was working on last May.  I had all summer to work on them but never got around to it.   After a few months completely away from them I have spent some time doing some aesthetic changes.

What about you guys?

edit: Errors

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2002, 11:53 pm »
Don't know yet. Can let you know tomorrow.

rosconey

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2002, 12:06 am »
ordered a pair of IRD mb-100's this morning :mrgreen:

looks like a lot of people were sick of the hd problems .
hope this is as good.

i guess we all got a present this year---a working forum

BOK

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2002, 02:55 am »
PS Juice Bar and one of Wayne's Type 2 PC's

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2002, 04:21 am »
My 11 year old son has hinted that he got me some DVD's...I'll let you know in about 12 hours :-)

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2002, 07:41 am »
Guess you can't call it a holiday present, but I bought myself a Norh SE-9 to drive my walnut 3.0 drums for use on my computer.  This will be my first tube amp (for speakers that is) so I'm hoping to hear something...ummm...I dunno - different from what I've heard before.  Warm?  Tubey? Euphonic?  Colored?  Spongy?  I dunno, but it just better sound different, that's all I ask! heh! :o

This fast forum is indeed a nice present too.  I notice that you can put emoticons in wherever you put the cursor, whereas on HD it always put it at the very end of your text, thus pissing me off and making me cut and paste the damn thing. [aside] OR learn the code, you wuss Oh...AND it sticks the tags on text you have selected too!  Nice.

djklmnop

« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2002, 07:50 am »
I'm probably getting myself two pairs of the ELF 1.5.  Originally, it was supposed to be a DIY project, but Creative Sound Solutions is now offering it fully assembled for $150/pair.  Too good to pass up.  I'll be using a pair in my surround setup (rears) and the other pair will be my computer speakers.

Nathan, I own the SE-9 and for the price, it is very nice.  It performs especially well for Jazz and Rock.  If you can mate it with a more sensitive full range speaker, you can probably drive classical scores to pretty decent levels.

TheBorg was kind enough to allow me to audition his pair of DIY ratcoffins (codename: Popsicles).  It sounded really nifty with the SE-9, and I was surprised that the Posicles managed to push out generous amounts of upper bass - not too shabby for a 3"ers.  Just wish they had a bit more sensitivity in them.

Andy

Rocket

xmas presents
« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2002, 10:49 am »
hello,

i ordered an aksa 100 for xmas.  just have to figure how to put the damn thing together now, actually a friend is helping to assemble it for me after xmas.

btw i was at my local hifi store and the manager told me how a customer has had a pair of custom made speakers up for his 5 year old son.  he spent $3500 au dollar on his son for xmas and apparently the kid reads hifi magazines.

anyway hopefully this site will be better than hd.

regards

rocket :)

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2002, 02:32 pm »
Not exactly audio but my wife gave me a nifty popcorn maker for our HT. Looks like one of the old fashioned movie theater types but smaller and uses hot air. Pretty cool IMO.

Made a new pair of IC's yesterday. Does that count? :)

Mike

bob82274

« Reply #9 on: 25 Dec 2002, 05:44 pm »
Well I this morn I received, to my surprise, a pair of HD 600 Sennheiser headphones!   :D

I am letting them break in as we speak!

booda

« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2002, 07:03 pm »
NAD 533 TT and vinyl.

eric the red

« Reply #11 on: 25 Dec 2002, 07:24 pm »
I got a pair of custom made GR Research Paradox 3's for xmas. 1" mdf cabinets with 2" mdf baffles Black Hole on the inside black laminate on the outside. 110 pounds EACH speaker. The bass is so good on them that my cousin and I can hardly tell the difference when he turns his Titanic sub on. My 18  y.o. cousin also built a pair of Watt Puppy clones that are just incredible. Happy holidays. :D

Marbles

« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2002, 07:25 pm »
Quote from: eric the red
I got a pair of custom made GR Research Paradox 3's for xmas. 1" mdf cabinets with 2" mdf baffles Black Hole on the inside black laminate on the outside. 110 pounds EACH speaker. The bass is so good on them that my cousin and I can hardly tell the difference when he turns his Titanic sub on. My 18  y.o. cousin also built a pair of Watt Puppy clones that are just incredible. Happy holidays. :D

Hey, who let you in :-)

Glad you like your new speaks.... I just sent an invite off to Danny.

grub

« Reply #13 on: 25 Dec 2002, 08:30 pm »
Great topic guys....for x-mas this year I have an MSB Link heading my way to go along with my Aiwa cd player (but thanks to madam mail, it may not make it here until March).  Apparently this is a formidable combination and if you send the pair out to be modded, they could be something wonderful.  Only time will tell.

If I round up enough cash, I may try to put together some of that Stan Warren cable (with the right wire this time) too.

Merry christmas all and enjoy your new toys ; ).
-->grub

Marbles

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2002, 08:48 pm »
The kids and wife did me OK...I got 3 DVD's.

Goldmember, MIB II, and SWII - Attack of the Clones.

I just got done seeing Stuart Little II, Santa brought that for my daughter.

Later today it's going to be MIB II :-)

I can't wait.

MaxCast

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2002, 09:16 pm »
Just getting a bunch of music at this time.   Waiting for the MAF2003 to hear some new stuff.

Marbles

« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2002, 09:26 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
Just getting a bunch of music at this time.   Waiting for the MAF2003 to hear some new stuff.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the tube amps and pyramid speaker from nOrh at the MAF, as well as the PI speakers and of course just seeing the Edgar horns is a delight in itself :-)

I wonder what toys Wayne and the DAM will bring? I wonder if Wayne can be persuaded to bring a set of 626R's and his tube equipment?

Hantra

Goodies. . .
« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2002, 09:37 pm »
I am also getting one of Wayne's power cords.  Right now, I am deciding between the Type 2, and the Nitro.  My decision is harder I think because of the gold connectors on the Type 2.  I think my outlet likes the gold connectors better.  

Also, trying some M-80's.  I may just go all out.  hehe

B

Wayne1

« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2002, 09:48 pm »
I wonder if Wayne can be persuaded to bring a set of 626R's and his tube equipment?

That is exactly what I plan to bring :D

I thought I would start out with my modded CAL Delta feeding a MENSA DI/O. That would be hooked up with a pair of Cryo'ed Silver Bullet Bybee NITROs to a Radii tube pre-amp. There will be a Radii tube power amp, the big QSC power amp with the QSC digital crossover/EQ.  I will bring my 626R's with Soundcoat and Auricaps. The Larger Subwoofer will also make the trip out. I will have the new speaker cable and power cables. All the power will be through a Bybee Power Bar.

To get back to the intent of this thread and away from commercials :wink:, my son gave me the SE LOTR and a really cool hands free headset for my phone. Not audio related, but my daughter gave me a very nice gel mouse pad and keyboard rest.

I gave both of them some CDs and my son got a new portable CD player. Now he wants a pair of "sport-style" headphones so they won't muss his do :?

wshuff

« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2002, 09:49 pm »
Well, I guess it wasn't really for Christmas, but between my birthday in October and today I've done pretty well.  Last month I received a pair of 626Rs and an LRC.  On Thanksgiving day I decided to give SACD/DVD-A a try, so I borrowed a Pioneer Elite DV-45A from my dealer friend, and now its a keeper.  Over the past few weeks I've been adding music--DVD-A of Elvis, Beethoven's 9th, The Blue Man Group, SACD of Dances With Wolves, plus some DTS cds (Sheryl Crow and The Eagles).  I'm at that point where nobody in my family can really buy for me, at least not when it comes to this hobby.  They more or less ask what I want, or I get it for me and then give it to them to give to me.  You get the idea.  Sure, you lose the surprise, but at least you get what you really would like to have.

Now, if only I can win that Powerball tonight, my Christmas list will get really long.