Jazz for Dinner Music at Wedding

rwd

« on: 26 Jun 2003, 12:32 pm »
Any suggestions for some fine dinner jazz music while our guests are dining at our wedding??

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2003, 12:57 pm »
I was thinking of this very thing the other day.  I wish I had a burner so I could make some Jazz comps.
I would recommend some "popular" recordings if you guests may not be framiliar with the genre.  A "top forty" if you will.

Are you going to play CD's or make a comp disc?  Are you looking for a mellow/romantic type of sound or a lively/foot tappin sound?  Recommendations off the top of my head should include Miles Davis-KOB and Stan Getz.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2003, 03:32 pm »
Rich makes a good point about using some of the more popular and accessible Jazz. There are plenty of folks who associate Jazz only with bebop and have no idea about the variety of styles available.

Hard to go wrong with swing era Jazz like Ellington, Armstrong, Glen Miller, Count Basie and such. A lot of the stuff on on the GRP label is very accessible and well recorded to boot. I would include some up tempo Sinatra and Mel Torme and perhaps some Tony Bennet as well.

Best wishes for your wedding!

Mike

Mathew_M

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2003, 04:29 pm »
Kenny G!

It's the truth at almost every wedding reception I've been to the DJ has the G man spinning.  It works though because his music it so mind numbingly dull it makes for the perfect 'wallpaper' sound.

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2003, 04:41 pm »
Quote from: Mathew_M
Kenny G!

It's the truth at almost every wedding reception I've been to the DJ has the G man spinning.  It works though because his music it so mind numbingly dull it makes for the perfect 'wallpaper' sound.

You are absolutly right.  I think rwd is looking  to show a little more class and pick some real jazz.  If he follows some of these suggestions I'm sure some people are going to say, "hey, this tune sounds framiliar."

rwd

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2003, 11:27 pm »
Hi Max...looking for romatic but also true jazz.  But, somthing that you can enjoy while dining.  The DJ is using CD's.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2003, 12:10 am »
http://www.starbucks.com/hearmusic/product.asp?category%5Fname=Our+Compilations&product%5Fid=159473

Starbucks actually has some good compilations. I have the one above and enjoy it. There are other jazz comps that might be appropriate.

eico1

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2003, 12:30 am »
At mine we just played Miles up to and during dinner. Worked perfectly, no hasles. To my dismay, it was Village People after that!

steve

Ferdi

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2003, 03:24 pm »
How about Diana Krall, Norah Jones?

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2003, 07:56 pm »
Must have some Getz in there.  Smoooooooth sax.  He even has a Cd called Getz for lovers.
Tonto has a good suggestion to get some comps already made.  Since people are usually unframiliar with some of this music, you could probably play the same two discs twice and no one would know the diff.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2003, 11:42 pm »

Arctos

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2003, 01:42 pm »
Here is another vote for Stan Getz!!!  At our wedding we had 2 CD's alternately playing, Stan Getz and Charlie Parker.  It worked very well.

Congratulations!!

RDS

lo mein

Re: Jazz for Dinner Music at Wedding
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2003, 07:14 am »
Quote from: rwd
Any suggestions for some fine dinner jazz music while our guests are dining at our wedding??

I hope my reply is not too late.

"Touch" by John Krammer.

Excellent candle light dinner, fine congac with your hot date, , then,  make-out music as well.

Alex