Rocky Mountain HT2's

jsalk

Rocky Mountain HT2's
« on: 31 Oct 2006, 02:07 pm »
Well, after a few requests, I finally took the time to shoot some photos of the HT2's we built for the Rocky Mountain Audiofest.  It was rather difficult to get good photos (and I don't think I really did) because the finish was hand-rubbed to high gloss.  I kept getting reflections (in fact, my tripod shows up in one if you know what to look for).

At any rate, here they are:

The speakers were veneered in Western Big Leaf quilted maple and then dyed.  For those who have followed my original comments, I first thought I'd try to duplicate the sunburst finish on my Tom Anderson guitar (one beautiful instrument from a true craftsman).  I did a good job applying the amber, red and black dyes.  But while that type of finish looks great on a small guitar, I quickly learned that it is simply too much on a pair of speakers.

So we re-veneered the cabinets and tried a more modest guitar effect.  Since you rarely see speakers done in this way, I was uncertain as to what people would think.  I was happy with the results, but RMAF would be the test.

Well, I had nothing to worry about.  I think this finish received more positive comments than any of the other speakers I brought to the show. 

Here's a close up:

And a shot of the side panel (complete with tripod reflections):

- Jim

LadyDog

Re: Rocky Mountain HT2's
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2006, 05:14 pm »
Beautiful work Jim!

Hard to believe you keep "out mastering" the master(yourself).

Regards,
Jeff

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2006, 08:42 pm »
Agreed!  Just when I think you can't top something, you manage to do it anyways! :)

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2006, 08:53 pm »
  Since you rarely see speakers done in this way, I was uncertain as to what people would think.

I've never seen speakers done in this finish before, but I have to admit, I think it's a beautiful look for that speaker. I think it's a winner, and just another reason to add to the list of reasons to buy a speaker from a builder such as yourself as opposed to a brand (sic) name.

And your craftsmanship is top notch. Congrats.:thumb:

Cheers