Noob Questions Re iMod Please....

ArchiMark

Noob Questions Re iMod Please....
« on: 31 Oct 2006, 01:00 am »
Greetings,

New to this site and the iMod world...however have been following with interest the 'very interesting thread' over at Head-Fi about it....

The iMod sounds great and I'm tempted to get it done to the iPod Photo I received today!

However, while I understand that I won't be able to connect headphones to the iPod anymore, which is OK, I want to make sure that I understand any other hardware implications....

I just ordered a DIY Paradise 'Charlize' amp board that I'll need to do the finish assembly on....the idea is to use the iMod iPod with it along with a small set of speakers either at work or in my home office...

Didn't see any clear photos of what I would need cable-wise to connect my iMod iPod to the amp...could someone explain this please?

Does the iMod modification mean that I no longer can use the Apple connector cable that came with my iPod??

Also, would the iMod prevent me from using the iMod iPod in my car??

Appreciate any and all input!

Thanks,

Mark

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Noob Questions Re iMod Please....
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2006, 03:07 am »
Hi Mark,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the Red Wine Audio forum!

The iMod converts the 1/8" stereo headphone output jack of the iPod into a dedicated Line-out (modded signal path directly off of the Wolfson dac chip).

If you use a cable with a 1/8" stereo plug on one end and L/R RCA plugs on the other end, you can connect it to your Charlize (which I believe comes with a built-in volume control).

The dock connector at the bottom of the iPod is still used to transfer files to your iPod, to charge it, etc.  The dock connector no longer outputs a line out, but all other functionality remains, so YES, you still will be using the dock cable that comes with the iPod.

You can use the iModded iPod in your car if your car stereo has a AUX input jack.  A lot of newer cars have this feature for connecting portable audio players.

Best regards,

Vinnie

ArchiMark

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2006, 03:48 am »
Think I get it now, Vinnie...Thanks!

My car is a '96 so I don't have any jack to radio/cassette deck....I was using a Sony Cassette adaptor thingie to connect the iAudio X5L player I had before...worked great....

So can I use the cassette adaptor approach or not???

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the Red Wine Audio forum!

The iMod converts the 1/8" stereo headphone output jack of the iPod into a dedicated Line-out (modded signal path directly off of the Wolfson dac chip).

If you use a cable with a 1/8" stereo plug on one end and L/R RCA plugs on the other end, you can connect it to your Charlize (which I believe comes with a built-in volume control).

The dock connector at the bottom of the iPod is still used to transfer files to your iPod, to charge it, etc.  The dock connector no longer outputs a line out, but all other functionality remains, so YES, you still will be using the dock cable that comes with the iPod.

You can use the iModded iPod in your car if your car stereo has a AUX input jack.  A lot of newer cars have this feature for connecting portable audio players.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2006, 03:50 am »

Hi Mark,

This *should* work, but I never tested one to verify.

Best regards,

Vinnie

ArchiMark

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2006, 02:11 pm »
Thanks, Vinnie!

Mark

Hi Mark,

This *should* work, but I never tested one to verify.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Canyoneagle

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2006, 07:23 pm »

Vinnie- I've been curious about this as well, and will be buying a 4th gen iPod soon for your iMods.  aa

So, do I understand correctly that the line out modification somehow eliminates the line out on the dock?  Does this mean that I'll need to remove the iPod from the dock and plug the 1/8" connector directly to the "line out" on the iPod? 
If this is so, is it possible to modify the docking unit to simply function as an extension of the line out so the iPod can sit in the cradle (instead of lying on the rack)?

Thanks,
Michael

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2006, 07:41 pm »
Hi Michael,

After the iMod, the stock line-out (from the dock connector) is disabled.  The new line-out is the 1/8" stereo jack at the top of the iPod.

You can still keep the iPod plugged into the dock (for charging, loading music, etc.).

is it possible to modify the docking unit to simply function as an extension of the line out so the iPod can sit in the cradle (instead of lying on the rack)?

No.  8)

Best regards,

Vinnie

Canyoneagle

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2006, 07:20 pm »
You can still keep the iPod plugged into the dock (for charging, loading music, etc.).

Perfect.  Thanks!
Michael