RWA Signature 30 with De Vore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8?

eril

Has anyone heard or tried this combination?
From my readings they look like a good match.
I listen only to acoustic music - 90% female vocal: world, folk, sopranos.
I live in New Zealand so can not audition them together.
I have heard the Gibbon Super 8's and believe they are good for my tastes: sweet, accurate, coherent, touch of warmth, very musical (rather than analytical).

I'd appreciate all thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Eril

miklorsmith

Re: RWA Signature 30 with De Vore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2006, 12:09 am »
I heard the Super 8's with 10 watts of Shindo tubes this weekend and it was a very nice sound.  We played some pretty tough stuff fairly loudly and it seemed the speakers would have liked a little more juice at those volumes.

I've also heard them with all SS stuff at a local dealer where they also were very nice, though not nearly as nice as with the Shindo (duh).

I haven't heard the Sig. 30, but based on words from ears I trust I ordered the 70's.

I'd be surprised if this combination didn't make you happy.

The one thing about the DeVores that I haven't heard anyone say but is quite noticeable to me is that once you dial in the port frequency, it's easy to hear.  Above and below the bass is pretty light but it's strong in the middle.  Of course, this is common to ported speakers but it is fairly obvious in this speaker.

That's only light criticism - they are very nice speakers indeed.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: RWA Signature 30 with De Vore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8?
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2006, 03:21 am »
Has anyone heard or tried this combination?
From my readings they look like a good match.
I listen only to acoustic music - 90% female vocal: world, folk, sopranos.
I live in New Zealand so can not audition them together.
I have heard the Gibbon Super 8's and believe they are good for my tastes: sweet, accurate, coherent, touch of warmth, very musical (rather than analytical).

I'd appreciate all thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Eril

Hi Eril,

I have heard the DeVore Super 8s with the Signature 30 (www.6moons.com reviewer Michael Lavorgna owns this exact system) and this is really an excellent match!  I was able to hear this combo on two separate occasions (in two separate locations) and was very impressed both times.  John DeVore himself was there both times as well and would certainly agree  :wink:

I agree and this is how I would describe what I heard with the Sig 30 + Super 8 combo. 

We played some pretty tough stuff fairly loudly and it seemed the speakers would have liked a little more juice at those volumes.

Yeah... there were some lower powered tube amps that were tried as well, and the sound would fall apart once the volume was turned up into louder territory.  I think the Super 8 is around 88 or 89dB efficient, so you need more than 20 clean watts if you want to play them clean at louder levels.  From what I remember John stating, their impedance is a fairly flat 8-ohms. 

Best regards,

Vinnie