Anybody experimented with the Inguz plug-in?

chadh

Anybody experimented with the Inguz plug-in?
« on: 30 Oct 2006, 12:11 am »

Inguz, a particularly generous contributor on the Slim Devices forum, put together a free DRC plug-in for the squeezebox:

http://inguzaudio.com/RoomCorrection/

Has anybody experimented with it?  My brief look at the SD forum (comprised of reading the thread in which the plug-in was announced) didn't yield much insight - but it was certainly greeted with a lot of enthusiasm.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24519

Anyway, the plug-in itself requires input - "sweeps" taken of your room to identify its weaknesses.  The recommendation is to get hold of an appropriate microphone (e.g. Behringer ECM8000) and an appropriate USB microphone pre-amp (e.g. M-audio Mobile Pre or Tascam US-122) in order to record the appropriate things to your computer.  Alas, my ears pricked up when I thought that the room correction process was going to be free - now I find that these set-up costs will exceed a couple of hundred dollars.  I know that's not extortionate, but I'd like to have some reassurance that it was worth it before I spring for this gear (which will have no use other than this recording).  Alternatively, someone who has used the plug-in already might know of a cheaper route to take that remains effective.

I have to admit that all of these things are quite foreign to me, so I'm thrashing around in the dark.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Chad

TCM

• TCM:s LastFM
Re: Anybody experimented with the Inguz plug-in?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2006, 08:35 pm »
Haven't tried it myself yet (I'm in the same place you are  :D), but from what I've read you need quite a fast computer. From Inguz homepage (about InguzEQ Plugin):

System Requirements
PC, running Microsoft Windows, with at least 2GHz processor, at least 512MB RAM, and at least 10GB free disk space.

So if you're running slimserver on an old computer as some people do, you won't be able to run the plugin.

tomjtx

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2006, 10:41 pm »
wish someone would do this for a mac

Occam

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2006, 11:18 pm »
Hey Tom,

Welcome to AudioCircles. I hope you find it hospitable.  Have you done a double blind test to verify that you actually have a Mac?  :wink:

-Paul

chadh

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2006, 03:03 am »

Thanks for the tip, TCM.  Luckily, I think both my desktop and laptop satisfy these requirements.

Nobody has experiences with the Inguz plug-in though?

Part of my hesitance to invest in the equipment is the fact that I'll essentially use it once and then never again (well, until I move).  If I knew that there was a good market for this stuff used, it would probably make a difference.  So, if you're in the same boat as me, let me know.  I might be prepared to buy the equipment, sell it on to the next guy after a couple of weeks, who could sell it on to the next guy etc.  That way a whole series of us could get a couple of weeks with the equipment for something in the $20-$40 range.  Depending in the generosity of subsequent owners, this could eventually become audio circle common property, packaged up and mailed off to the next squeezebox devotee for the cost of shipping...

Chad

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2006, 09:56 am »
Chad

have you considered a diy offering?

Panasonic electrets can be had for approx £3GBP ($5?)
mic preamp could be done for approx £20GBP ($?)

As for people who have used the system have you asked on the slim forums, I'm sure there were a few users there who had tried it, also you could ask inguz if he has had contact with any users looking to try his system.

Nick

Greg Erskine

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2006, 09:59 am »
Hey Tom,

Welcome to AudioCircles. I hope you find it hospitable.  Have you done a double blind test to verify that you actually have a Mac?  :wink:

-Paul

I like it.  :lol:

TCM

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2006, 10:37 am »
Here's more information on the subject

http://www.duffroomcorrection.com/wiki/Main_Page

There's one user with a squeezebox that's using Inguz plugins

http://www.duffroomcorrection.com/wiki/User:Hpyle

chadh

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2006, 03:17 pm »
Chad

have you considered a diy offering?

Panasonic electrets can be had for approx £3GBP ($5?)
mic preamp could be done for approx £20GBP ($?)

As for people who have used the system have you asked on the slim forums, I'm sure there were a few users there who had tried it, also you could ask inguz if he has had contact with any users looking to try his system.

Nick

Thanks Nick

I'll check out this stuff...but...

(a) I don't know what an electret is

(b) it's apparently important that the microphone be a suitable variety, not just a microphone

(c) the microphone preamp needs to feed into your computer, so the plug-in can create the appropriate room correction procedure.  I'm not sure that there are GBP20 USB microphone pre-amps that one would trust

(d) I like the idea of DIY, but for some reason DIY doesn't usually like the idea of me!

Anyway, I'll do some more research.  And thanks for the suggestion about chasing up Inguz.

Chad

chadh

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2006, 03:18 pm »

I think that user is Inguz himself.

Chad

TCM

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2006, 04:49 pm »

I think that user is Inguz himself.

Chad

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Can't we just pretend it's somebody else? :wink:

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2006, 06:23 pm »
a) I don't know what an electret is

(b) it's apparently important that the microphone be a suitable variety, not just a microphone

(c) the microphone preamp needs to feed into your computer, so the plug-in can create the appropriate room correction procedure.  I'm not sure that there are GBP20 USB microphone pre-amps that one would trust

(d) I like the idea of DIY, but for some reason DIY doesn't usually like the idea of me!

Electret is basically a type of Mic, there are even compensation files on the net for some to get a flat 20-20kHz response, very useful as directional instrumentation mics (like you want!) no need for phantom power!

Mic preamp could go to the aux in of any computer, no usb needed, or possibly use the mic in of a soundcard depending on quality without a pre-amp.

Diy can be as easy as following somebody elses lead, no need to be hard, maybe buy a kit of someone elses work, and it doesn't have to be "pretty" my system has no cases on any equipment other than the SB3 cos I'm useless with metal and wood.

In a big rush so sorry for the poor formatting and grammar.

Nick.

chadh

« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2006, 08:50 pm »

Nick,

Thanks very much for the pointers.

Chad

tdangelo

« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2006, 06:00 am »
I haven't used the DRC part of it but have tried the 9 band digital EQ - works good and was easy to install - just make sure you have MS .net 2.0 or the songs don't play ;)  I don't notice any degradation in sound and it's pretty cool to be able to cut a few DB's off of your peaks if needed or....  Use your ears to find what sounds best ;)  Thanks to Shane (Hometheater Doc) for reminding me about this ;)

Tony D.

inguz

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2006, 09:54 pm »
Hi all.  I just moved to a new padded cell here, and haven't been out on the wild net much recently.

Several people have been reporting good results with the room measurement & correction process.  As you mentioned, the barrier of spending a couple hundred $$ on measurement equipment which you'll only use a few times can be fairly daunting.  The absolute quality of the equipment doesn't seem to matter very much as long as you have a reasonably low noise floor, and a fairly flat omnidirectional microphone.

If anyone within a few miles of Cambridge MA wants to borrow my gear, drop me a line. :D

chadh

« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2006, 10:01 pm »

Thanks Inguz.  I'm pretty keen to try the room correction some time soon, just as soon as I've organized the recording side of things.  It's nice to know that you might drop in every now and then:  you might find me begging you for help if I have problems.

I'm not much of wizz with these technical things.  But I really appreciate the effort you've gone to to put together the plug-in, and to make it widely available.

Cheers.

Chad

TCM

« Reply #16 on: 7 Nov 2006, 05:21 pm »

totoro

« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2006, 03:38 am »
I just set up my room correction (with some help from Inguz). I have a piece of furniture which resonates at 120 hz, so the results are a little preliminary, but the improvement was enormous, as inguz can attest (he was just over listening to my system, and he heard it before, as well). I started a thread on the slimdevices forum where I put up a few tips:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29489

Inguz is a great guy, and was very helpful, so in the return, iI'd be happy to help people through the process, now that I've done it once.

robert1325

« Reply #18 on: 13 Nov 2006, 10:57 am »
I did some sweeps,   but I don't understand how to work with DRC,  there are no sample files and running impulseprep does nothing...

chadh

« Reply #19 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:13 am »

Well, I've taken the plunge!  In the past couple of days a new Behringer ECM8000 omnidirectional measurement microphone and a slightly used Tascam US 122 USB audio interface/preamp have arrived at my door.  Just as soon as I get a microphone cable and install the appropriate software I'll be all ready to experiment with DRC.

For anybody who is interested, buying the microphone and USB interface cost a grand total of $110 (plus shipping), courtesy of eBay.

Chad