VMPS Speaker Upgrades?

UTLaw

• http://www.utexas.edu/law
VMPS Speaker Upgrades?
« on: 25 Jun 2003, 08:42 pm »
Wayne -

In one of your recent posts you mentioned upgrading certain elements of your VMPS 626R's.  Do you offer any any upgrade packages for the VMPS line, and, if so, would such upgrades be cost effective on a speaker like the 626R?

Much thanks

:)  :)  :)

Wayne1

VMPS Speaker Upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2003, 11:59 pm »
I have not done any internal upgrades, yet.

I have installed a Bybee on the input to all three of my front speakers and it has helped out quite a bit. I think that is a good way to start.

The 626R is a very good speaker. Only YOU can determine the cost effectiveness of a mod.

You would be looking at around $375.00 for a pair of Bybee speaker level purifiers.

I am not sure of the cost on labor yet for replacing the wiring on a pair of 626Rs.

If I ever get around to modding mine, I will be sure to let everyone know the results :D

Wayne1

VMPS Speaker Upgrades?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2003, 02:14 pm »
I did the first internal upgrade on a pair of VMPS speakers over the weekend.

I build Jason a pair of M-80 speaker cables for his Original subs.

He was a tad upset that when he wen to hook them up, he found that the binding posts wete 5/16ths in diameter.

I went over to his place on Sunday morning a performed some surgery.

First I removed the passive crossover from the cabinet. Then I replaced the rather wimpy posts with some very nice gold plated posts from Sound Connections that you can actually use bananas with :wink:

Finally I ran a length of NITRO speaker wire in the cabinet from the binding posts to the woofer.

We applied silicone sealant to cover the hole where the level control had been for the upper portion of the XO. We put it all back together and tested them and then I went on my way to my son's Ice Hockey tryouts.

I hope Jason will post some comments. He has said to me that so far he did like the M-80 speaker cable for his sub better than the CC89259 he was using.

He is also borrowing my pair of Bybee speaker level purifiers to use with his 626Rs. Let's hear some comments, PEZ!!