Anyone using a turntable shelf?

jackman

« on: 25 Jun 2003, 06:57 pm »
I just bought one and I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep it. Any thoughts?

J

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2003, 05:05 am »
No but I saw a picture of one the other day  :)  It made me think: the only vibrations it would prevent are those transfered from the floor directly to the turntable's (former) rack. It doesn't prevent sound induced vibration (from the air), nor does it prevent vibration traveling from the wall to the shelf. Seems like it would depend on the structure of your dwelling.

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2003, 12:14 pm »
J,

I originally had my Nott on a rack.  Purchased an IKEA Lack end table (think it was $12.99) to isolate my TT.  Drilled four holes in leg bottoms and spiked with speaker spikes.  Definite improvement and cheap.

Will be adding a Neuance shelf underneath by X-mas.  Hope this is of some help.

NB

PeteG

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2003, 04:56 pm »
One of the best and cheap TT isolation tweaks I've tryed is a Vibrapod sandwich.

I had some 1/4" smoked glass cut to size with 16 vibrapods under it.
It works great, better cleaner bass definition and blacker background.

So really any good isolation under a TT will help.
-Pete

BikeWNC

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2003, 07:51 pm »
Nature Boy and PeteG,

What kind of flooring does your room have?  I have a very springy wood subfloor that bounces when anyone walks though the room.  I've come to the conclusion that my only real solutions for TT isolation would be to add floor support in the crawlspace or move the system to the HT room which has a concrete slab.

nature boy

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2003, 08:32 pm »
Tsunami,

Concrete floor (basement room remodel) with wall to wall carpeting.  If you have wooden, bouncy floors best bet is a shelf attached to wall & studs.

NB

PeteG

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2003, 06:13 am »
Tsunami,
I have a wood subfloor, but my rack has abit of weight to it.

Like nature boy said a good wall mount would help alot.

wall mount

andyr

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2003, 10:30 am »
Yeah, I would suggest if you have a wooden floor construction (ie. floorboards/sheet on top of floor joists which themselves rest on bearers, which rest on concrete stumps or brick foundations) then a wall shelf is best.

If you have a concrete slab construction then an isolating support is best.  Which type depends on what suspension type your t/table has.

Of course, another influencing factor is your nearby environment.  Is your concrete slab resting on ground above a subway?  (In which case I suggest a Vibraplane is what you need!)  Or are you out in the countryside, miles and miles from a freeway?  (In which case a sand box or a Mana stand  may be sufficient.)

I use a DIY air suspension platform from Steve Rochlin's www.enjoythemusic.com site.  This is a 30lb slab of slate resting on 36 squash balls.  It made a great difference to my Linn LP12 - much more base solidity.  However, I would use a Vibraplane if I could (my record-storage/hifi cabinet won't take the 90lbs weight!!).

Regards,

Andy

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2003, 10:45 am »
Andy "This is a 30lb slab of slate resting on 36 squash balls"

Don't you mean squashED balls?? :D

andyr

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2003, 10:27 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Andy "This is a 30lb slab of slate resting on 36 squash balls"

Don't you mean squashED balls?? :D
Good one, Charlie Brown!!

zachslc

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2003, 07:23 pm »

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2003, 01:11 pm »
Zach,

Good to see an inexpensive alternative to the overpriced audiophile wall stands.

mmakshak

Recommendations
« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2005, 03:53 pm »
I would recommend a maple slab with the rubber, cork, rubber footers from Mapleshade.  It was a huge upgrade to my Ariston rd110.  They also recommend brass on top of that(which they sell).  Total cost was around maybe $125.  Use only 3 of the footers.