Bolder ICE Digital vs. Audioquest VDM-5 or Hawk Eye

schuesmp

Bolder ICE Digital vs. Audioquest VDM-5 or Hawk Eye
« on: 25 Oct 2006, 05:54 pm »
Can anyone comment on the performance of the Bolder ICE digital cables with Bybee slipstream purifiers (silver or copper) compared to similarly priced offerings from Audioquest (VSM-5 and Hawk Eye)?  Please note that both Audioquest cables feature pure silver conductors.  The only obvious difference between the VSM-5 and the Hawk Eye is Audioquest's mystical DBS system.

My current system is as follows:

Quad 12L monitors
Quad L Series subwoofer
Panasonic SA-XR45 (Bolder HT mods)
Denon DVD-1920 (Underwood mods)
Shunyata Research Hydra 4 PLC
Signal Cable digital and power cables
ASC TubeTraps - two 16x48 traps
ASC custom monitor stands
Great room (large with vaulted ceilings)

My goal is to maximize the performance of my beloved Bolder Panasonic SA-XR45, which is about the greatest "invention" in audio I've come across (way to go, Wayne).  My current system sounds extremely smooth and resolved to my ears, so I really just want more of the same.  :wink:

Thanks.

maxwalrath

Re: Bolder ICE Digital vs. Audioquest VDM-5 or Hawk Eye
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2006, 06:26 pm »
With the return policy at Bolder, I'd give the ICE a try. I'd guess that bybees make more of a difference than that 72v thinggy. 

schuesmp

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2006, 09:01 pm »
That makes sense.  I spoke with Wayne this morning, and he suggested that the use of silver conductors does not result in an inherently better cable.  He did not have experience with either of the Audioquest cables (VDM-5 or Hawk Eye), but he did share his design objectives for the ICE digital cable (basically, to sound better than cables costing much, much more).

At this point, I'm torn between the silver and copper slipstream purifiers for the ICE cable.  Better decide before November 1!

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2006, 09:53 pm »
I've not had experience with the Audioquest DBS cables. But their regular line stuff (like the VSM5) isn't as good as Wayne's digitals. I had an AQ digital once, and had a Bolder basic digital w/Bullet Plugs. The Bolder digital easily surpassed the AQ cable, no question about it.

A Bolder Digital w/Bybees is even better.

And the ICE cable is extremely good. The "Bubba Ultra" ICE came about because I'd asked Wayne to one-up the previous top line digital I'd had him build (that was a Cryo'd Napalm Ultra). If you want as good as it gets then go for the "Bubba Ultra" version. Though it is kinda spendy in that configuration.

I'd think that an Ultra ICE configured with Silver NextGen's & 2 Copper Bybees would be the best bang for your buck.