Home VHS movies to computer then to DVD question

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Home VHS movies to computer then to DVD question
« on: 25 Oct 2006, 03:32 pm »
Has anyone tried this program?  "Easy Media Creator #8 or the newer version #9 Suite". I can get the 8 for around $40 and the 9 for around $80.

I have just tried the "CameraMate Easiest Video Ever" and it is pretty easy but it seems to degrade the video quality.

Thanks. :D

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Home VHS movies to computer then to DVD question
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2006, 12:45 am »
An alternative is to by a DVD Recorder. Any Sony model (and surely others) will allow you to play your VCR into the DVD Recorder, and make DVDs all day long. Probably as good of a quality transfer as you will get, the limiting factor is your VCR and your VHS tape. Consider the time plus effort plus software plus video capture hardware cost and compare to the prices of these DVD-Recorders. Also you can make a DVD directly from firewire-out from a digital camcorder.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2006, 01:30 am »
I don't think I can do any editing or adding titles to my recorded program using a DVD recorder, correct me if I am wrong!

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2006, 10:42 pm »
You are pretty much correct, not as much as with the PC anyway. Whatever you would do with a VCR to VCR copy you could do.

But using this method, your VHS data gets onto the DVD quickly and with good quality. You have your chapters and VOB files recorded. You can control how long chapters are as you record. You could then add the effects and rebuild your DVD on the PC.

Just an idea since your source is VHS and you seem to want the best possible quality for digitization. But I am not an expert. It may be less effort to use only the PC in the long run.