3 channel pre/amp with Tubeage

Woodsea

3 channel pre/amp with Tubeage
« on: 24 Oct 2006, 06:12 am »
I think this belongs here.
In the next 6 months I will finally be able to do my speakers justice in regards to their power hunger.  But,  :duh: I am getting overwhelmed with reviews and no chance now of demoing.  I would love to be able to afford RWA 70 and his pre, but that is not going to happen in my tax bracket or WAF (wife accountabilty factor).
I should be able to afford either Frank's AVA  or Klaus' Odyssey equipment.  I would like to have the romance of tubes with the thunder of SS.  Also, over 100 watts or more is best.
Each of these gentlemen have components that should fit the bill.  But what would sound best with my speakers?  Has anyone had a chance to listen to both recently?  I have VMPS 626r's straddling Brian's LRC across the front.
I dare ask, is there anything else out their I should be looking at?

finsup

Re: 3 channel pre/amp with Tubeage
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2006, 04:48 am »
I too am interested in a three-channel pre-amp.  Doesn't seem to get much play anywhere :cry: but it is an interesting idea.  8)

There is a short thread discussing one user's experience with a Mapletree tube pre.  Maybe you could start there?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=21762.0

Cheers,
Michael

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2006, 03:16 pm »
Thanks, Michael!  It doesn't give me a cost?  Anyone know?
Also are the trinaural available, and has the cost gone down?

warnerwh

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2006, 06:22 am »
Woodsea: I'd be inclined to go with an AVA Fetvalve amp for your 626's. They sound very clean and make your cd's sound better without losing anything in detail. It also adds some body to the midrange panels.

After all the amps I've tried the two hybrids, the Blue Circle and AVA, have the best synergy imo with the VMPS speakers. Being as you're using the 626's the bottom two octaves don't come that much into play and if they do you can use a sub.

If you're going to buy new I'd email Frank and tell him you're outside the country but would like the 30 day trial with some extra shipping time. Same with Klaus.

Best wishes on your quest!

finsup

« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2006, 03:53 am »
It doesn't give me a cost?  Anyone know?

Mapletree does sponsor a forum here.  It's not very active and Dr. Lloyd Peppard of Mapletree Audio Design doesn't post much.  Having said that, I understand he will answer e-mails or speak to you on the phone and apparently he is a great person to work with.  I have rarely seen a cross word written about him.  Sounds like you may want to get your info straight from him.

Woodsea: I'd be inclined to go with an AVA Fetvalve amp for your 626's. They sound very clean and make your cd's sound better without losing anything in detail. It also adds some body to the midrange panels.

On the other hand, the AVA forum here is quite active.  Seems to have a lot of satisfied customers and Frank Van Alstine does post quite frequently.

I also noticed that Rockadanny posts here and at Audio Asylum and he has (or had) both a Mapletree Pre (not three channel, though) and an AVA amp in his system.  You might want to get in touch with him about how those two components have worked together.

Yes.  No.

Good hunting and Happy Thanksgiving...
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2006, 04:07 am by finsup »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2006, 04:32 am »
Thanks, Michael!  It doesn't give me a cost?  Anyone know?

Mapletree does have a 3 channel; I have one. In fact they make a 6 channel pre. Mine is the Line 3 SE. It has 2 L/R channel outputs and 2 summed channel outs, one of which I use for a powered sub. The second summed channel could be used for a powered center speaker. My pre may be one-of-a-kind but I'm sure you could commission one. Check with Dr. Peppard about the cost. The 5 channel is listed on his web sight.

Raja
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2006, 05:02 am by rajacat »

finsup

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2007, 10:24 pm »

Mapletree does have a 3 channel; I have one. In fact they make a 6 channel pre. Mine is the Line 3 SE. It has 2 L/R channel outputs and 2 summed channel outs, one of which I use for a powered sub. The second summed channel could be used for a powered center speaker. My pre may be one-of-a-kind but I'm sure you could commission one. Check with Dr. Peppard about the cost. The 5 channel is listed on his web sight.

Raja

Rajacat -- you have a PM.

nodiak

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2007, 05:44 pm »
rajacat, could you give any comparison between your Mapletree/gc and Scott LK-48? My Scott 222c has a center channel out that can be used for a sub as well, I am told. Have ordered a cable to try that.
Sorry if this is too OT .
Don

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2007, 06:35 pm »
rajacat, could you give any comparison between your Mapletree/gc and Scott LK-48? My Scott 222c has a center channel out that can be used for a sub as well, I am told. Have ordered a cable to try that.
Sorry if this is too OT .
Don

Hi Don,

At the present time I'm juggling the break-in of the Bolder Squeezebox with the break-in/testing and comparison of the refurbished Scott with the Mapletree/gc rig. My initial impression of the Scott after 30+ hours to break-in the new capacitors is that it has a more holographic/3D presentation than the MT/GC combo and is very easy to listen to for extended periods aa. The Scott has added lots of prat to my system so I've decided to keep it and perhaps incrementally tweak it with tube rolling, better footers, etc, etc. The Scott has the hard to define "x" factor. Somewhat to my surprise, I'm noticing new details on familiar recordings.  My gainclone is definitely an economy version which probably could use some refinement to operate at its' maximum potential so I believe that it is a weak link. The Mapletree has received stellar reviews by most on this forum so I might keep it and try it with another amp. It is the rare 3 channel version. I like the Scott and  it has good synergy with my Fostex driven Omegas so now I have to decide what gear to offload or keep all of it and continue with tweaks and marginal improvements.

The Scott center channel works well with my sub although I might further refine it by adding an in-line high pass filter like the ones offered by ACI to take some of the load off the Scott and help integrate the sub.

Raja

« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2007, 01:24 am by rajacat »

nodiak

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2007, 02:44 am »
Hi Raja, thanks for the report. I've really got to hear the Mapletree pre someday.
This 222c is very easy to listen to also. I have another 222c being rebuilt by Ryan/Hot Glass Audio and expect it to be even better. I haven't had the gc in the system since I got it, will be interesting to try it again, later.
I hear you on the X factor. I'm using it with 8" hemps crossed to a Scanspeak tweeter (they like each other alot). Sub cable didn't show today, have to wait till Monday.
Don