we need more new vinyl (mabey mapelshade can help)

ricmon

we need more new vinyl (mabey mapelshade can help)
« on: 23 Oct 2006, 08:29 pm »
I wrote Mapelshade and asked them if they have any plans to publish their catalog on vinyl.  Unfortunately they said no.  But I’m thinking if they saw enough interest they just my do it.  Think about it more great recording in vinyl.  Any body else have any thoughts.

gooberdude

Re: we need more new vinyl (mabey mapelshade can help)
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2006, 09:36 pm »
I think its sad that they refuse to do vinyl.  I've asked Pierre, he says its too expensive.

Which is a helluva response for someone committed to turning people onto analog, ya know?

I'd really like MS cd's if they had artists i like, or at least interesting performances.  Been trying to get a few small funk bands to record an album through him - MS charges nothing for the studio time and collects 50% of the revenue....pretty cool really.   bands don't have to pay anything except a plane ride to baltimore.

any band that thrives on live performances should dig what pierre does in the studio.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2006, 03:43 am »
It's a really expensive endeavor to get vinyl made...and there probably aren't many places that do it anymore.

Investing in equipment to do it themselves would near bankrupt them.

Making CD's is cheap and has the largest, music loving customer base to draw from...smart moves for a small fry like them.

Tho I'd love to get vinyl of their releases, I understand why they don't have it  :cry:

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2006, 03:52 am »
I don't care if Mapleshade makes vinyl or not.  I can't stand their releases.

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2006, 04:37 am »
I'd like to see others follow similar recording techniques (i.e. stereo mic in a home setting) but with much different musical styles.  I like the sound he gets, but liking the music is a challenge. It's disappointing to me that in order to hear CDs with nice room sound on them I have to listen to jazz! :sleep:

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:51 pm »

Simply Vinyl has tons of stuff at all price ranges from $15 and up.
http://www.simplyvinyl.com/

If you are a Jazz fan, Blue Note has dirt cheap vinyl reissues of classic stuff starting at $11.
http://www.truebluemusic.com/products.asp?dept=21

Rhino has a nice Rock selection that keeps on growing.
http://www.rhino.com/store/vinyl_store.lasso

EMI. Universal, Columbia and other record labels are always issuing brand new vinyl of recent artists. Not to mention that there are all of those infamous "European Pressings".

Rather than searching individual sites for vinyl, Acoustic Sounds has a really nice selection online. If you are looking for nice used vinyl, EuclidRecords.com always has a great selection with accurate grading.

gooberdude

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2006, 09:34 pm »
Thanks for the link to Rhyno Records...i've been looking for the Sabbath Paranoid re-issue.

Check out the 4 Men With Beards  line-up.  There's a sick Eddie Harris LP, a couple of Aretha
and Layers by Les McCann.

The latest Acoustic Sounds catalog was most impressive....

Upstateaudio

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2006, 12:25 am »
I think its sad that they refuse to do vinyl.  I've asked Pierre, he says its too expensive.

Which is a helluva response for someone committed to turning people onto analog, ya know?

I'd really like MS cd's if they had artists i like, or at least interesting performances.  Been trying to get a few small funk bands to record an album through him - MS charges nothing for the studio time and collects 50% of the revenue....pretty cool really.   bands don't have to pay anything except a plane ride to baltimore.

any band that thrives on live performances should dig what pierre does in the studio.

Several years ago, they asked me as part of a customer poll if they should do vinyl.  I advised them I would have loved to have seen it as a consumer but not as a business man. It is so expensive to do it  and the limited appeal of their artists would also limit the number of vinyl albums sold. I (and probably my audiophile brethren) honestly could not support them  in a way to guarantee profitability. Look what happened to DCC and the original MFSL.  Both had access to more popular time proven releases and both went down the drain.

Audiofidelity does not seem to be doing much better.