Why did I hear static when switching between preamp and receiver?

john1970

To all VMPS owners,

I am running my rebuilt RM40s through a Bryston 4B SST amp.  I am currently running the main in of the amp to a Niles line level switch that switches between the pre out on a NAD integrated amp (for stereo 2-ch listening) and the pre out of a Marantz AV receiver (for HT applications).  This evening I was listening to music and decided to watch a movie.  I turned off the entire system and when I pressed the Niles switch I heard static coming from the speakers.  After waiting about 30 seconds I tried the switch again and everything was normal (i.e. no noise).

The good news is that there is no damage to the drivers, but what would have caused this to occur?  Please advise. 

Thank you,

John

meilankev

John,

I apologize for avoiding your question, but I do have an opinion that might help.

Does you Marantz A/V receiver have "Main Pre-out" jacks????  If so, you should get rid of the Niles line-level switch altogether.  This is the way I have been using my system (2-channel and HT integrated together) for almost 10 years.  And when my A/V receiver dies a while back, the one feature I was most interested in with the replacement was "Main Pre-outs".

No switching out of cables; no extra Niles-like component in the signal path; and my 2-channel path is as pristine as possible (no evil A/V receiver in the signal path).

Good luck in finding out you "static" problem - hopefully, it's nothing serious.
Kevin

John Casler

The "static" is probably  some type of "discharge" from one system when shutting down and starting the other.

I agree with Kevin, that you will have a cleaner and better signal path, and if you place the 2 channel sytem outside the HT, system, and simply run the HT (front two channels) into an aux input on the HT receiver from the 2 channel pre out, out or tape out.

TIC

I agree with John and Kevin. Your Niles box is redundant and unncecessary. It can also be causing sonic degradation for both of your amplifiers since both are going through the switchbox.

Connect the output of the NAD directly to your amp (sans Niles box) and connect the L&R front main pre-outs from the receiver into an Aux input on the NAD. Simply select the correct input on the NAD when you want to listen to an HT source.

If the NAD has a processor loop/HT bypass circuit it is even better than using the Aux input. It would remove the NADs volume pot from the circuit when listening to HT sources.

If you really want to improve your 2-channel performance, I would recommend replacing the NAD integrated with a quality 2-channel Pre-amp. If possible, get one with an HT bypass/processor loop. It will simplify your integrated systems a bit.

Enjoy,

TIC

john1970

To everyone for their help,

Thank you for the advice.  I will try that solution today and let you know how it goes. 

One question:

How would I select the volume on the NAD when listening to HT?  I guess I would have to find the zero gain setteing and markit on the volume control..

Best,

John

Corbin Johnson

John,

You set your NAD preamp volume to 12:00, then calibrate your surround sound levels at this setting.  Then, eveytime you use your surround sound sytem, turn the volume knob on your NAD to 12:00, select the input that receives the main outs from your Marantz and from there, you just use your Marantz receiver volume control, etc. as you normally would.

This is what I do (as Kevin & John suggest), with my Marantz HT receiver and 2-channel audio preamp.

Corbin

john1970

To everyone for their help..thank you thank you thank you   :beer:

I will calibrate the HT at the 12 o'clock position.  I removed the switch and run the HT preamp outs to the AUX input on the NAD and everything works prefectly.

HT is calibrated and all is well...

THANK YOU AGAIN,

John
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2006, 06:29 pm by john1970 »