Howdy, I'm a newbie here....

TexasRugger

Howdy, I'm a newbie here....
« on: 16 Oct 2006, 02:19 am »
Just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Steve, and I'm just looking to meet some like-minded guys (or gals) who enjoy a good tune or two.  My wife and I live near DFW.   I listen to all kinds of music, but with our new baby, I haven't been able to do as much listening as I would like.   Unfortunately, I believe my CD player has died and gone to CD Player heaven.  My system currently is

CAL Audio DX-2 CD Player
Golden Tube Audio SEP-2 pre-amp
PS Audio HCA-2 amp
Hales Revelation Twos

Yes, I realize that all of my equipment has a 2 in it.  That's not by design.  Anyway, I'll probably be in the market for a new CD player.  Any suggestions are welcome - I'd like to keep it in the $1000 to $1500 range, and I'm open to gently used equipment.   Nice to meet ya'll

Steve

brj

Re: Howdy, I'm a newbie here....
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2006, 02:52 am »
Welcome to Audiocircle and the North Texas circle, Steve, and congrats on the new baby!  On which side of the metroplex do you live?

I'm currently researching external DACs, so I haven't done enough research into CD players to offer you any advice, but I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.  You might want to mention whether you are looking for specific sonic qualities or have other requirements (besides the number "2"! :lol:).  Good luck on the search!

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2006, 03:10 pm »
hello, welcome to the area.  i have been reading about the rega apollo at $995, audio concepts is a rega dealer in town. what part of the metroplex do you live?

TexasRugger

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2006, 12:58 am »
We live near the airport - West Irving area.   Like I said, my musical tastes vary quite a bit.   I know Jazz about like I do wine, which is to say not very well.   I enjoy Miles David and Coltrane.   Other CDs in frequent rotation

Peter Gabriel
Junior Brown
Mark Knopfler
The Police
New Order
Dire Straits
Depeche Mode
Thievery Corporation
Tears for Fears
Sinatra.  Love Sinatra....

I really dig a solid bass-line.   The PS Audio mates well with the Hales in that respect.  The Golden Tube pre-amp works well to add a nice level of warmth.  The CAL CD player was a really nice player - it wasn't the last word in detail, but it wasn't obnoxiously bright or in your face.  So, in a nutshell, soundstaging, rhythm, bass, and smooth mids are important to me.
Anyway, suggestions are welcome, and I look forward to meeting all of you soon.  Thanks,

Steve

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2006, 03:18 pm »
hello steve, you have a pm.
marvin