Scott integrated...mod or refurbish?

rajacat

• Washington State
Scott integrated...mod or refurbish?
« on: 14 Oct 2006, 04:30 pm »
I have recently acquired a Scott LK-48 which is in very good shape cosmetically but will need to be checked out by a tech and given a basic restoration. I'm also considering an all-out mod such as offered by Mapleshade or Sam's Audio. I looking for advice on which path to take.  Has anybody out there had experience with both options?

Raja
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2006, 04:59 pm by rajacat »

jon_010101

Re: Scott integrated...mod or refurbish?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2006, 07:13 pm »
You might want to talk to Craig at NOSValves, or Ryan Inman at Hot Glass Audio... I know they both do a lot of Scott restorations, and probably some modding too.  Perhaps they can share some insight about either path.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2006, 11:31 pm »

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2006, 06:22 pm »
I built (as a teenager) and still have, a Scott Lk48-B and plan to re-cap it and replace the selenium rectifier with a diode bridge.  I bought off eBay a 222-C and have almost completely re-capped it.
The 222-D was the factory equivalent of the LK48-B kit.  I've also acquired an LT110 Scott tuner and its factory equivalent.  I'll re-cap them in the future.
I bought my caps from Ryan Inman - good value.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2006, 08:37 pm »
There was another article on the 222 in AudioXpress this month with a few more tweaks to the unit.

yo2tup

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2006, 09:14 pm »
what caps are you guys using to recap it?   also which cap positions would benefit the most by replacing them with more expensive caps like a sonicap or vcap?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2006, 06:34 pm »
Ryan Inman can give you a list of his current caps.  I haven't tried any boutique caps and don't intend to, unless others have and there's a concensus that they made a definite sonic improvement in a specific application.

The Audio Xpress article is a huge project.  The guy didn't just re-cap and upgrade, he completely rebuilt the amp - many, many hours of labor.  The result is not a restored amp - it's a new amp.  He even replaced the phono equilization circuit with his own design.