What's a good solder pot?

timind

• permanent vacation
What's a good solder pot?
« on: 14 Oct 2006, 01:24 pm »
I have some cables that require a solder pot to reterminate. I discovered this after removing the banana plugs. I'm checking ebay for a used solder pot, there are a few of them listed. Anbody have any advice on a good one?
Also maybe some advice on the process of removing the polymer coating once I get the pot. Thanks.

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
Re: What's a good solder pot?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2006, 04:41 pm »
I have some cables that require a solder pot to reterminate. I discovered this after removing the banana plugs. I'm checking ebay for a used solder pot, there are a few of them listed. Anbody have any advice on a good one?
Also maybe some advice on the process of removing the polymer coating once I get the pot. Thanks.

I really like my little Hexacon mini pot. They're about $70 new. And I'd definitely recommend getting the 800 degree version if you're going to be using it to tin enameled wire.

As for process, first thing to do is make yourself a skimmer for the dross (the oxide and other gunk that accumulates on the solder's surface). I use a steel paperclip, straighened out and with about a 3/8" "L" bent into one end.

Heat the solder pot for at least half an hour to make sure the solder is up to full temp. Because solder melts at a realtively lower temperature, just because it's molten doesn't mean its reached full temp. And if it hasn't, you can end up with a mess at the end of your wires.

When you're ready to dip, use the skimmer and carefully skim the surface dross off to one side and into the dross tray, leaving a nice shiny silver surface.

To dip, start at one edge of the pot and slowly dip the end of the wire into the solder as you move the wire toward the center of the pot. By the time you get to the center of the pot you want the wire to be dipped to the point that you want it tinned. Stop for a brief moment at the center and then continue moving to the opposite edge of the as you bring it up out of the solder.

The reason you want to keep the wire moving is if you dip it straight in, and pull it straight out, it tends to pull the residue of the enameling up along with it and ruining what should be a nice tinned wire. Keeping it moving leaves a trail of residue behind the wire, preventing it from ruining the tinned end.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

RAW

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2006, 05:23 pm »
I second this little pot.
Several hundered hepta litz inductors and still going.

Well worth the money.
 :rock:

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2006, 11:25 pm »
We have a Quorum. :) I have the same solder pot and Steve's instructions are right on. I have a piece of stainless steel wire I use for removing the dross. I also use the Cardas rosin flux, putting a small amount on the end of the wire to be tinned as the solder in my pot doesn't have any flux. You can buy a kit from Cardas with the Hexacon solder pot, some bar solder and a container of flux. I've had mine a long time, so I don't know what they are charging for it.

Cardas Solder Pot Kit

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2006, 11:36 pm »
If you only a pot for ocassional use, MCM Electronics has a 150 watt and 400 watt at very reasonable prices. They are 1.5" dia. The 150 watt unit is under $30 with the 400 watt unit around $73. I have been using one for years and it works great. I also have a large 600 watt, 4" dia. unit that I haven't even needed to plug in yet.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2006, 11:38 pm »
Sorry, the 400 watt unit is 3.1" dia. for $73.

Steve Eddy

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2006, 12:49 am »
I also use the Cardas rosin flux, putting a small amount on the end of the wire to be tinned as the solder in my pot doesn't have any flux.

I'd certainly recommend that for tinning bare wires. But the most common solderable enamels (usually polyurethane with a nylon overcoat) are effectively self-fluxing and I've found that tinning this kind of wire with flux added to it tends to produce more residue and an increased chance of some of it mucking up the tinning job.

se

Steve Eddy

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2006, 12:55 am »

Oh, one other thing to mention. Don't use cored solder to fill the solder pot. Use bar solder that's readily available from places like Mouser.

se

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2006, 02:11 am »
Well that may be the most informative answer I've ever recvd. Thanks gentlemen. I copied those instructions for future use. Now all I gotta do is buy the pot and get smokin. Did I just say that?

Steve Eddy

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2006, 03:24 am »
Well that may be the most informative answer I've ever recvd. Thanks gentlemen. I copied those instructions for future use. Now all I gotta do is buy the pot and get smokin. Did I just say that?

Yes, you did. Enjoy!  :green:

se

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2006, 04:08 pm »
Hey... thanks for covering for me while I was gone guys.

Those MCM solder pots are the ones to own.   Cardas sells the Hexacon unit in their soldering kit but it is outragously priced.   

Nice twig Steve....

Steve Eddy

« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2006, 05:13 pm »
Those MCM solder pots are the ones to own.   Cardas sells the Hexacon unit in their soldering kit but it is outragously priced.

Yeah. The trick is to not buy it from Cardas. :green:

Techni-Tool sells the 800 degree Hexacon for $78.95 which is comparable to the 400 watt pot from MCM. You can purchase from Techni-Tool through Amazon.

Nice twig Steve....

Thanks. You should see the branch.  :green:

se

fajimr

« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2006, 05:31 pm »
Thanks. You should see the branch.  :green:

yup, knew it... I was thinking n. california- checked the website and saw you are in sacramento.... got land in humbolt???   :lol: :lol: :lol: