I gotta get me a cartridge. . .

Hantra

« on: 23 Jun 2003, 01:50 pm »
I have narrowed it down to a few, and I'm wondering if you all can vouch for any of the following:

- Sumiko BPS, which others here have vouched for. . .
- Benz Ace High output
- Grado Platinum Reference
- Dynavector 10x5
- Clearaudio Aurum

I don't want something that tries to mimic the sound of CD's.  I want something detailed, and natural.  Life-sized soundstaging is a must.  There's no way I can demo any of these, so I'll just have to take the plunge. . .

BTW, does anyone know the compliance of the OL-1 arm?

Thx!

B

michael w

« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2003, 02:05 pm »
Hi again,

What table/arm/phono stage is the cartridge to be used with ?

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2003, 02:58 pm »
Heh. . .Doh!!!

Nottingham Interspace w/ Hyperspace platter, and OL-1. . .  I am using a Kora MM stage right now, and may upgrade to a new pre, but it will still be a 47K stage. . .

B

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2003, 10:17 pm »
B,

Here's my thoughts and listening experiences with my Nott set up which is similiar to yours minus the OL-1.  Found the Dynavector and Clearaudio cartridge had best synergy with the Rega based arms.  Personally, if your budget can afford, I suggest either the Dynavector 20X (retail $525) high output or the Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood(retail $750).  The later is a moving magnet design with 3.6mV output.

I heard the Benz ACE HO on an Interspace turntable and tonearm set-up at a highly regarded Nott dealer, thought is sounded like sh_t.  Either the cartridge was misaligned or something was off.

I personally got the Dynavector 10X4mkII and think it sounds great.  With the OL-1 arm, suggest you stretch your budget on the cartridge.  If you haven't set one up, make sure a good analog dealer or experienced friend is there to help.  Keep reading posts on Vinyl Asylum about someone who has messed things up.

Please PM me if you wish to discuss further.

Regards,

NB

duff138

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2003, 12:34 am »
I replaced my Sumiko BPS with a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood and could not be happier.  I purchased it new on Audiogon through a dealer in the Netherlands.  At the time I bought it it was only $419 shipped (It's $600-750 in the US).  It may have gone up depending on the exchange rates.  He carried the whole line of Clearaudio cartridges

Beezer

Clearaudio vs. Dynavector
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2003, 01:05 am »
I run the Clearaudio Virtuoso and have had the Dynavector 10X4 on my Mottingham Interspace - OL Silver rig.  Initially I liked the Virtuoso quite a bit more, but am now missing some of the smoothness of the Dynavector.  I'm thinking about moving to the the DV 20XH...

Beez