Technics SL-1200MK2 parts help, please, RCA and Power cables???

kenscott30

Dear List,

I am almost there, I finally have a nice TT, well almost.  I got a 'free' 1200, oh with a bent tone arm and it was in the basement for years, nasty.  So I took it to an authorized audio repair center, it was +-$250 in parts and labor to get it 'going' again...  A new one is 435.00 shipped for a 1210MK5.  So I took it home and I took it all apart, all apart.  After getting the service manual and looking at about 10 websites I have a few questions. 

I am looking to replace the cables on the TT.  I can go with the panni stock parts but it seems like craziness to pay $20.00 for crap RCAs and 15.00 for a stock power-cord.

What are your thoughts?  I have to spend some serious cash on getting it back up to snuff but this will be the First and Last TT that I ever own.  I know about KAB and partstore.com But I am new to TT and vinyl.  There must be some Bluejean sort of RCA, ground cord or power cords for the TT.....

Can I do better than this?  http://www.hydrawire.com/technics.htm
Thanks in advance.

Ken

« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2006, 02:33 pm by kenscott30 »

Psychicanimal

Can I do better than this?  http://www.hydrawire.com/technics.htm

Not for the money, though Kevin @ KAB uses better connectors.  I've never seen that site before, though... :scratch:

It would be great to have the cables cryo treated and then cooked for 30 days on a cable cooker!

I strongly suggest you keep the unit for spare parts and save your pennies for a new 1200.  Seriously.

kenscott30

I really wanted to take my sad 1200MK2 to an autobody shop and get painted some crazy color, but it needs more than just that to get it going again.  I know that you can't kill them but I just hate to spend 500 on a table when I can fix mine myself for like 200.  But then I am stuck with a 15 yr old table.  I guess they all sell for 300-350 depending on condition and not really age.  I will either to try to sell the parts here or on Ebay.

Thanks for your help.

PS, thinking of the KAB fluid damper?  Do you have that?

ken

lcrim

Can't speak for Francisco but I have the hydraulic arm damping from KAB.  In fact I have all the mods available as I bought the test mule from Kevin, an older model 1200 MKII.
You get what you pay for.  The 1210 is a true bargain but if you get it direct from KAB you'll get one that has been fully inspected.  It will be free of all possible issues.  Have him install the the arm damping kit at the same time and that deck will play vinyl at a level of competence that most can only dream of.  With a decent cartridge and phono section, get back into vinyl playback with reasonably priced gear that is a joy to have around.

kenscott30

Thanks.  I really like Kevin, great guy.  I have built a DIY hagerman Bugle (runs 9volts) and I was thinking of either the Grado silver cart or the grovemaster that he sells.

Ken

lcrim

While there are folks on this board and others who love them I am not a Grado fan at all. 
I have the Groovemaster and before I got a LOMC I enjoyed it.  I have not felt any desire to try it again after hearing the OC-9.  Maybe that will change.  It was always a nice cartridge for me.  I kept it just in case. 
I have read a great many positive comments re: the Bugle.  I have never heard one , however.
Good luck.

Psychicanimal

PS, thinking of the KAB fluid damper?  Do you have that?

That was the first thing I bought for the deck, after destroying one tonearm trying to change the tonearm wires.  Here's an excellent review:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?raccs&1033259530&read&3&4&

I also have KAB's outboard power suply and the strobe disabler ( not installed yet ).  My opinion is that you should be *patient* and do this right. Save your money, get a part time job, rob an elderly lady :lol:.  The new model 1210 has a version that comes with improved tonearm wires.  If you  do this right you'll end up with $5000 performance that you would have never dreamed of.  When people compare the 1200 is with the stock cabling and that is not fair.  Kevin is also working now on improving the tonearm cabling with Cardas wire.  I also told him about Ridge Street Audio's proprietary silver tonearm wiring and he's going to check it out (called Robert last night to hook them together). :thumb:

While there are folks on this board and others who love them I am not a Grado fan at all.

I had a Grado Blue but gave it to my little sister. Heard the Red.  No Grados in my system. :nono:

I have the Groovemaster and before I got a LOMC I enjoyed it.  I have not felt any desire to try it again after hearing the OC-9.  Maybe that will change.  It was always a nice cartridge for me.  I kept it just in case. 

Like Kevin says, buy the MC but don't throw away your MM.  After a year or so put it back and *hear* what happens... :scratch:

My father's friend who got me started in high end jumped on the LO MC wagon and gave me his Audio Technica AT-15S while going crazy buying stuff like the Shinon Red & the 'flavor of the month' LO MC.  The AT-15S is pretty much AT's second best MM cartridge ever--what a mistake!!! :duh:  The AT-20S is identical except they're the very best coming out of the production runs, like the Stanton 881S & 881S calibration standard.  When I moved back my mother had saved some stuff I had in my father's hi fi cabinet and the AT-15S was there.  Now I can get NOS replacements for $90, cheaper than 20 years ago.  A replacement Super Shibata is some $200 plus nowadays.

So, keep the Groovemaster. I've heard the OC-9 since I used to work at a store that carried it.  The Trackmaster can have extended HF response and I recently took care of that.

BikeWNC

I've been waiting for the KAB tonearm wire upgrade too.  I'm not in a rush to try the wire replacement myself but I think it is a necessary upgrade.  Hopefully Kevin will get it all worked out in the near future.

I've been thinking of trying a LOMC cartridge such as the Benz Micro Ace or the Dynavector 20XL on the 1200.  Right now I am using the Groovemaster, but the hf seems recessed and I don't want to modify my preamp phonostage to change the resistance from 47k on the mm input.  Perhaps the tonearm wire upgrade will help some with the upper end.

Andy

Songforyou

I am very close to purchasing a KAB SL-1200 but am trying to figure out what cartridge to go with.  I have a VPI Scout with a Dynavector 20XH in my main system right now with a Scott 222c.  Sounds very nice, but I'm limited to MM.  What LOMC would be a good match for the technics and what phono stage?  I was thinking of a Bellari with a step up transformer like the cheap Denon.  Is there a better way to go to accommodate MC in this price range?

Psychicanimal

I've been thinking of trying a LOMC cartridge such as the Benz Micro Ace or the Dynavector 20XL on the 1200.  Right now I am using the Groovemaster, but the hf seems recessed and I don't want to modify my preamp phonostage to change the resistance from 47k on the mm input.  Perhaps the tonearm wire upgrade will help some with the upper end.

It's not a mod, just a resistor swap. 

Dusty Vawter sent me the part of the schematic and where to change the resistors for my Monolithic phono stage.  He just bumped the impedance order down, so the 100 Ohm values are gone.  I took the preamp to Robert Schult of Ridge Street Audio, who installed some high performance NOS Holco resistors (about $6 each).  It was well worth it.  I'm working on further improving HF response through another mean.  This modded DJ cartridge will end up with the midrange of a $1500 MC and none of the drawbacks them MCs have.  My most recent conversation with Kevin gave me some serious insights on achieving top performance w/ MM designs.  I'm really looking forward to applying the concepts I learned. :thumb:

I am very close to purchasing a KAB SL-1200 but am trying to figure out what cartridge to go with.  I have a VPI Scout with a Dynavector 20XH in my main system right now with a Scott 222c.  Sounds very nice, but I'm limited to MM.  What LOMC would be a good match for the technics and what phono stage?  I was thinking of a Bellari with a step up transformer like the cheap Denon.  Is there a better way to go to accommodate MC in this price range?

The Technics arm can successfully handle many MC designs--Kevin's the expert.  Doing the low output MC thing right takes a substantial amount of money & no compromises can be allowed at such low output voltages.  Why don't you try first your Dynavector?  This will give you a reference point and then you can see where you want to go.  There's no hurry, is there ?  I bet you'll be surprised when you hear the Dynavector in the 1200.  aa

I have an Ortofon X-5 MC and it sounds good but it tracks so-so and @ 2+ grams.  My Trackmaster has impeccable tracking @ 1.3 g.  Record longevity is an issue for me! Why not try the Ortofon integrated headshell cartridge?

Songforyou

Thanks for the suggestion Psychicanimal.  I may stay with MM for now (or my high output MC).  I'm just trying to get as much info as possible on optimal cartridge matches for the SL-1200 before I buy.

Thanks again.

kenscott30

Bump!

So what Carts are we thinkin' of?

I get my 1200 TT today, I don't have a working cart.  I do have a bugle DIY 9volt photo pre.

Thanks, 

Ken

« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2006, 05:59 pm by kenscott30 »

Psychicanimal

Bump!

So what Carts are we thinkin' of?

A Stanton 680/81 would be my first choice if budget is constricted.  Next would be the Ortofon MMs with the Shure M97 & AT-440 next in line.  For deep bass & all wheel drive Shure, for extended HF & more details the AT.  Definitely stick to excellent trackers until you get the fluid damper.

I have a KAB Groovemaster, Ortofon X-5 high output MC, Audio Technica AT-15S, Shure V15 III, Pickering XSV-3000.

Stanton cartridges have a very special sound: smooth yet not bland, fast, neutral, well balanced, tight bass & kick ass musicality.

From Kevin's website:

The original calibration standard. The 681 triple E continues its reputation as the best value per dollar cartridge available. Smooth calibrated response. Hi polish Elliptical diamond, Hum Free 3-dimensional 4-coil circuit and the exclusive Stanton "Long Hair" brush. The 681 features the "Warm" sound - imparting a bloom to the mid bass adding a fullness that appeals to many collectors and audiophiles. Medium compliance lets the 681 work well in nearly any kind of tonearm.

kenscott30

Thanks for the thoughtful response, I will get the fluid damper soon.

Ken