T7 on Agon

Listens2tubes

T7 on Agon
« on: 12 Oct 2006, 12:14 pm »
Found a deal on a T7 http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1165018233 Says make an offer. Possible savings asn upgrade path too. :)

avahifi

Re: T7 on Agon
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2006, 05:18 pm »
Just a couple of observations about this unit and the claims made for it.  The rocker switches cannot be replaced by those used in the new Ultra series.  The Ultra preamps use gold contact pushbutton switches, this unit uses rocker switches.  We will soon be out of stock on the special order gold contact rocker switches we used in the last two years of production of the small chassis SL units and when they are gone they will be gone.  The replacement cost is $115 plus shipping to replace the original switches with the gold contact rockers while they still remain available.

Also, this is a first generation (smallest) AVA chassis and there is not enough room in it for any further circuit upgrades, or for the remote control option.

It is however an excellent unit as is, and it looks to have been well cared for.

Frank Van Alstine

EMM801

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2006, 01:23 pm »
In one of the rear view photos, it appears to have been modified to accept an IEC three prong detachable power cord. Anything else about it appear "modded"?

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2006, 01:45 pm »
I notice nothing else obvious.  I cannot tell if the add on AC socket has been done with the correct polarity or how the third wire ground connection has been done.  If not correctly executed, this could have built in a shock hazard or a ground loop hum generator.  Certainly it did nothing good.

Frank Van Alstine

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2006, 03:07 pm »
I love it! Some days the posts are very entertaining. You're awesome Frank.

marty

mikethep

« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2006, 07:58 pm »
Aloha!! I am the seller (attempted seller?) of the T7. I have noticed no hum
whatsoever. Nor have I noticed any difference using different power cords.
So much for the IEC connection. (Although, in fairness to the previous
owner, I have a few different-gauge cords [sewing machine Volex, etc.],
but nothing fancy.) What I have noticed
is a seemingly high incidence of right-channel dropout. But, I only had the dropout
once via headphones. This suggests, as suggested earlier today by Frank V. A. (sorry
to be a pest), a problem with a cable or output jack. I've been using it lately only as a
combination headphone amplifier (with AKG701) and phono preamp (via its tape out)
with a couple of different integrated amps. Most recently, a Bryston B60. The sound
of the Bryston (with Spendor SP1/2e) is depressingly lifeless compared to the sound
I heard (which was only a couple of weeks ago but seems like an eternity) using the
T7 as an actual preamp with a Conrad Johnson MV60se (trial) and Quad 909 (former
owner -- sold after hearing the T7 -- sold it with its accompanying Quad 99 preamp -
not much demand for a Quad 99 preamp sans 909 or 99 power amp, apparently).
Anyway, I am on the verge of sending it in for a checkup (and bypassing of tape/source
switch -- isn't that only useful if I am recording with a tape deck with separate record
and play heads??) and also purchasing an AVA power amplifier sutiable for use with the
Spendor speakers. I've had bunches (insane amount) of different equipment since 1970
(1970 = Scott 299, KLH 12, AR TT) and the sound of the T7 is about the most realistic
I can recall hearing. Anyway, waiting to hear recommendation from FVA on amplifier.

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2006, 09:23 pm »
If you can afford it, I suggest a Fet Valve Ultra 350 hybrid amplifier for your system.  The price is $1849 plus $38 shipping, and of course I will make all necessary fixes to the preamp free of charge if you order the amplifier.

Frank Van Alstine

mikethep

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2006, 09:32 pm »
Sounds too good to refuse. Except for the fact that I will have to use an old Onkyo
integrated amp from the basement for a few weeks. (The Bryston B60 is yet another
demo, fortunately.)
Thanks,
Mike Pittarelli

mikethep

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2006, 04:51 pm »
Ad cancelled. FET valve amp ordered.

MarkM

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2006, 05:55 pm »
Your going to love the Ultra FetValve amp, I have an Ultra 550 paired with a T8 preamp for a couple of weeks and could not be more pleased with my purchase!

robinje

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2006, 03:50 am »
Likewise, I have the Ultra SL preamp and Ultra 550 power amp combo.  It is SUPERB!  I may end up having AVA reduce the gain of the premp, though, to get a more useful range of use of the volume knob.  Otherwise, this combination is killer with my Vandersteen 2CE Signatures.  Enjoy!

Jim

TomW16

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2006, 05:41 pm »
Hey Mike,

I think that you are going to like the FetValve amp.  I have one and love it.

Welcome to the AVA club.

Tom

mikethep

« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2006, 03:04 am »
Jim: I stumbled upon your posts regarding HR-2 and MPX headphone amps. I owned both
in the past. Direct from CD, the MPX (older model -- stainless steel toaster look) was certainly
competitive with the T7. But since I listen to phono, tuner and tapes as well, I almost always
have connected headphone amplifiers to tape outs. My wife and I were shocked and awed by
the realism of the T7 headphone section, used direct from CD. Less so connected to the tape
out of a Bryston B60 (buffered) and Blue Circle NSCS (unbuffered).
Mike P.