Bybee digital and speaker filter listening session

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« on: 22 Jun 2003, 08:23 am »
Jason & I headed over to Wayne's today and listened to the RCA inline bybee filters and also the speaker level Bybee filters in Waynes system today.  The speaker level filters were an obvious and immediate improvement over the plain speaker wire hookup.  When listening to Natalie Merchant singing "Ophelia", with the Bybee's, the sound was less vieled, instruments had better seperation, better depth to the soundstage, cleaner and more relaxed treble, and the bass did not drone as much (the bass on this track is definitely on the "drone" side of things, but it's the recording's fault).  A nice improvement, but one I was already familiar with, since I had a similar result using bybee'd speaker bi-wire jumpers in my own setup.

Next up Wayne inserted the RCA inline filter to the digital input of his DAC.  It was similar to the improvement from the speaker level filters, except even more so.  In the intro of Ophelia, you could hear that Natalie was actually singing gently, as opposed to just sounding softer.  The middle portions of notes and vocals filled in very nicely.  The music just flowed beautifully.  One interesting thing I noticed - without the bybee filter, you could hear the primary event of her singing, an then you would hear the reverb way at the back of the room, but it was almost like there was a gap.  With the bybee inline, the primary vocal and the reverb "connected", so that there was a sense of continuity between her in the front, with the sound travelling back and then reverbing as a single continuous event.  It took me a while to figure this out (I knew something was different, but it was difficult to put my finger on it).  Last but not least, the bass sounded much better.  Instead of a single droning note, it was obvious that there were actually 2 notes being played sequentially, one being lower and more visceral than the other.

Next, Wayne put a filter on the digital output of his DVD player in addition to the one we had on the input of the DAC.  The results were mixed, IMO.  The treble was cleaner again, and even better instrument seperation.  But, I thought her voice lost some body, and the overall sound was more "hifi" and less natural.  It was an "impressive" sound, in that it did a lot of individual things "right", but the music just didn't quite flow like it did with a single bybee.

Then the bybee was removed from the output of the DVD player and was put in series with the filter at the DAC input, so that we had to in line, one after the other.  To my ears it sounded exactly like the previous setup with the filter at the DVD digital output.

So, what was the result of all this listening?  I bought the Bybee RCA inline filter of course :-D  Took it home and hooked it up immediately.  I think it made a bigger improvement in my system than what I heard in Wayne's system (I love it when that happens).

The results we heard w/multiple bybee's inline may simply be specific to Wayne's system, or what we heard as "trade-offs" may be judged quite differently by other's in their own systems, so the best idea is to try it out, it takes all of 30 seconds to plug them in or out of the loop. . .

Pez

« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2003, 04:52 pm »
As I have dealt with Bybees before I wasn't suprised to hear a megadifference as we did. To sum it up I would have to say the in line speaker filters and the single bybee through the DAC was the most impressive. I could go into massive detail as to what I heard, but honestly one phrase can sum it up.  The bybees added dimensionality to the music that wasn't there before.  Try it it's damn simple to swap and results are immediate.

However I can't help but wonder what results would be had if you were just to buy the bybees pre-made in the cable. Not that Wayne isn't using the best stuff availible such as silver bullets and rodium plated cardas female RCA's, but those are two extra things in the signal path.  If you can afford it and you don't have a hard-on for the cables you already own I strongly suggest you just have Wayne build the Bybees into a cable for you.  

Any way my own personal theories aside the improvements I heard cannot be denied, and with just the speaker filters and DAC filter there were absolutely no trade offs where I felt adding more improved certain things, but messed with overall musicality.

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2003, 08:28 pm »
I just ordered one of the silver bullet variety based on your comments. Please check out the ac cord interface next time. Thanks for the low down.

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2003, 09:45 pm »
Thanks, as always, for the order.

Tyson and I both have a Bybee Power Bar for our systems.

I believe there have been a few comments written about that product :)

The Bybee AC Inline purifier is pretty much the same thing, except for only one outlet instead of six or eight.

I was just watching the Eric Clapton DVD again. I installed the other inline purifier back at the output of the DVD player. I felt it really improved the sound on the DTS soundtrack.

In all of these tweaks, YMMV. A lot depends on what the source itself is like. I did prefer the single Bybee for Natalie Merchant. For the EC DVD two is where it is at.

Oh yeah, I made time today to build a prototype Bybee S-Video cable with some ERS wrapped around it.

VERY nice. 8)

Now I need to make me another Bybee speaker purifier for my center channel :lol:

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2003, 10:20 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
Oh yeah, I made time today to build a prototype Bybee S-Video cable with some ERS wrapped around it.

VERY nice. 8)  

Don't say that! I don't want to upgrade my S cables again... :lol:

Seriously though, I would be very interested to hear how your S-Vid compares against my reference S-Vid. I could easily send you one to try out against your new Bybee S-Vid.

You've got what, 2 Bybees in the S-Vid? Dare I ask what one of those would run?

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2003, 10:56 pm »
Bubba,

I will guestimate about $350.00-$400.00 for a 2 meter Bybee S-Video cable.

I will be fairly busy this week. If you wish to send me out one of your cables, I will see if Jason, Tyson, Mike G or brad b would be willing to compare the two. I think brad b would be the best. Mike's run to his projector is a bit more than 2 meters

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2003, 11:04 pm »
$350-400 for a 2M eh? Well I'd only need a pair of 1M cables, or maybe a 1M & 1.5M.

But the digitals are first in line. I'd rather get those first as the S-Vid cables I'm using now are damn good.

I'll get the 2M cable in the mail to you tomorrow.

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2003, 11:12 pm »
Quote from: Pez
However I can't help but wonder what results would be had if you were just to buy the bybees pre-made in the cable. Not that Wayne isn't using the best stuff availible such as silver bullets and rodium plated cardas female RCA's, but those are two extra things in the signal path. If you can afford it and you don't have a hard-on for the cables you already own I strongly suggest you just have Wayne build the Bybees into a cable for you.

I too wonder what the results would be like w/the Byees in the cable, and not in an in-line.

And as soon as Wayne gets more Bybees, and the time to try building one, then I'll know what it's like. Hell, I've been wanting to know what that's like for quite some time now.

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2003, 02:27 pm »
Robin,

S-Video cable will require 2 Bybees. One for Chroma information and one for Luminence.  

I did build the center channel Bybee speaker purifier. I am going to have to retune my LRC a bit, but first impressions are the usual things for a Bybee: lower noise floor and cleaner high end. I also believe that the bass is a LOT tighter and clearer. I didn't have much time for listening. My son has Ice hockey tryouts on the 29th. He has been playing inline hockey for almost 8 years but now he want to try ice. His skates arrived on Thursday and he has been on different rinks everyday since then to try to get his "ice legs" I took him to the Denver Universty rink last night where they had an open "Skate and Shoot"

Bubba,

The Bybees and the labor are the big costs for the S-video cable. There won't be too much difference for a one meter vs a two meter run

Not that I have built the S-video, building the digital cable will be easier. A lot of the same techniques I had to come up with to work in a coaxial video cable will be applied to the digital one.

I do have a couple of used Bybees around that I use for prototyping.

Now that I have a better idea of what is involved, the digital cable might just be built a tad quicker.