Preamp specifications for Turntable inputs

RonB

Preamp specifications for Turntable inputs
« on: 7 Oct 2006, 08:04 pm »
Hello to all-I'm considering getting back into the vinyl collection I have since I haven't owned a turntable in 15 years.
I'm first going to be buying a new Home Theater Pre-Pro (top prospect is the Outlaw 990...$$$)
My question is that the Outlaw unit has (1) no input impedance spec...(should it?)...(2) an output voltage of 1v...& do I understand correctly a phono stage (MM) of 2.5mv @ 47kohms?
Pardon my french but exactly what in the hell does all this mean?
Is this pre-pro a good/decent/poor choice?-do I need an outboard phono stage?
Will I still need a phono stage for whatever turntable I buy?
What numbers/specs do I need to keep in mind when matching this equipment?
Are extra interconnects necessary?
Thank You
« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2006, 08:23 pm by RonB »

TheChairGuy

Re: Preamp specifications for Turntable inputs
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2006, 06:05 pm »
Ron,

Not looking at specs on the Outlaw 990 pre, just trying to decipher what you are saying here, I'd think that if the Outlaw has phono capabilities, the spec you've sighted may mean that minimal output voltage of the cartridge would be 2.5 mv and it feeds into a 47K ohm input.  That's pretty much standard stuff for phono sections...it means you need a moving magnet cartridge of at least 2.5 mv output (both moving magnet types and 2.5 mv + outputs are easy to find in the marketplace)

If it has what you are looking for in features, and the price is right, and/or Outlaw has positive credentials for you - why NOT go for it?

If the internal phono stage is not to your liking, you can always buy a separate phono stage later on....that then would require an exta set of interconnects.

Welcome back to hi resolution audio (VINYL)  :D

Hello to all-I'm considering getting back into the vinyl collection I have since I haven't owned a turntable in 15 years.
I'm first going to be buying a new Home Theater Pre-Pro (top prospect is the Outlaw 990...$$$)
My question is that the Outlaw unit has (1) no input impedance spec...(should it?)...(2) an output voltage of 1v...& do I understand correctly a phono stage (MM) of 2.5mv @ 47kohms?
Pardon my french but exactly what in the hell does all this mean?
Is this pre-pro a good/decent/poor choice?-do I need an outboard phono stage?
Will I still need a phono stage for whatever turntable I buy?
What numbers/specs do I need to keep in mind when matching this equipment?
Are extra interconnects necessary?
Thank You

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Preamp specifications for Turntable inputs
« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2006, 08:43 pm »
Ron,

People at Outlaw forum seem to like the performance.  http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/34/t/000302.html#000000

From my experience with Outlaw Audio (I still have old 950/770 combo running my HT) they offer value oriented products at sensible price.  They won't out perform more exotic products, but they will give more than competent quality at their price.  They do a good job of targeting the value oriented upper midfi to lower hifi market with big emphasis on HT.