modified Leak stereo 20

Don Maico

modified Leak stereo 20
« on: 6 Oct 2006, 05:53 pm »
Hi guys
This is one I bought one about 14 years ago and have lots of good service from it It has a large 6KG6a tube where the rectifeir would've once been whcih in turn what I believe is calle an anode cap attached to it this cap is connected tto the underside via a cable. From what I can gather these mods were made by Glen Croft the British tube amp manufacturer.
Recently I had cause to replace this large tube together with a pair of el84s as they had blown.This morning I tried the amp for the fiirts time since the change and was rather alarmed by a loud hum followed by a strong undescribable smell emanating from the amp the tubes became very hot too. The hum subsided after a while but the smell persisted and the valves became too hot to touch for any length of time- especially the El84s. After a while I decided to remove the large tube and switched the amp on without it. No noise no heat and no smell. I put the large tube back - the smell returned, although much reduced,there was a low level hum and various crackling sounds whiuch reduced as i moved the valves around in their seats and the valves got very hot again. I guess I'm thinking the latter is normal and never gave it much thought in the past but now I'm thinking of selling it and I dont want any potential hazards. I would appreciate any advice guys

gkargreen

Re: modified Leak stereo 20
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2007, 11:43 pm »
well, I had and restored one of these, your problems are quite severe, and this amp would need to be properly resotred, if you have notalready damaged the tranny, you can email meif you like...