Exodus Subs Available Soon

Kevin Haskins

Exodus Subs Available Soon
« on: 5 Oct 2006, 05:28 pm »
I'm picking up the new EX-12, EX-15 subwoofers today.   These have been LONG overdue but we are finally getting a product that meets our tough standards.   We are torture testing a sampling of the production run and getting some measurements of a large sample of the production drivers.

At this point, based upon my experiments with a couple of the early samples, they exceed all our original design goals.   These beasties have a healthy 29mm xmax one way, XBL^2 motor technology, dual 8 ohm VC, 12-spoke aluminum basket, oversized venting, extreme care in glue & material selection, top quality suspension components selected for linear travel etc...    The list goes on and on.    The sound quality of these has WAY exceeded our expectations.   I'm jazzed about these subs if you couldn't tell.   They are simply the best sound quality sub I've heard and they have the balls to deliver gobs of output.   Not only that we are going to deliver these babies at a price that will rock your socks.   They will not only be the best sound quality product on the market, they are going to be one of the most attractively priced also.   :green:

Preliminary pricing:

EX-12   $225
EX-15   $275

Also.... I have a dozen Tumult 15"s back in stock.   

Tumults on sale at $499 each including shipping via UPS GND anywhere in lower 48 states.   Quantities are limited.

Dustin B

Re: Exodus Subs Available Soon
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2006, 07:40 pm »
What about the CX series?  I'm getting close to only having my theater room left reno wise in my new place and am itching to put four CX-15 drivers in an IB for it.

Dustin

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2006, 08:19 pm »
The CX is being delayed because our vendor is having a hard time hitting the parameters.   

Give me a call when you are ready and if we don't have the CX at that time I'll take care of you.    :wink:

kfr01

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2006, 12:38 am »
----VERRYY interesting.

Now if I could just find an easy way to integrate a pair with my 2641s.  :-)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2006, 12:43 am »
One more thing.... we have some small sealed black cabinets that we used with the finished WMDs that I need to move.   I no longer have amps for them but it would be very easy to order a flat panel with a pair of binding post to make it a passive sub (FrontPanel Express).    For the first Tumult purchases I'll include a cabinet for $75 plus shipping.    I'll have to dig out in the warhouse but I think I have ten or fifteen cabinets that we didn't use.    This would make an extremely simple DIY project.

kfr01

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2006, 12:45 am »
Any suggestions for easy stereo system integration?

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2006, 02:22 am »
It looks like the EX series are like Tumults for half the price with that kind of xmax.

Good to see that these are finally a reality.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2006, 04:14 am »
It looks like the EX series are like Tumults for half the price with that kind of xmax.

Good to see that these are finally a reality.

The EX is certainly a better bang for the buck.   Its like most things in audio.... you pay a lot for that last couple percent of improvement.    You should also keep in perspective that the total cost of a finished sub will be the cabinet + amp + driver.   If you had a $2000 finished subwoofer and one that was slightly better for $2200 most people wouldn't blink buying the better one.    The only difference might be the EX-15 vs. Tumult-15.   In that case people would say "its only an extra $200".      In the total cost of the finished product it is only a 10% difference.   When your looking at the driver cost alone its more substantial.

A pair of EX-15s would have a lot more output than a single Tumult and the retail price of the EX-15s is going to be cheaper (I'm discounting the Tumults significantly, retail is $699).    Of course they would require more space.

klh

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2006, 04:32 pm »
Can we get updated T/S specs? I've seen the old ones floating around but are they still accurate?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:04 pm »
Can we get updated T/S specs? I've seen the old ones floating around but are they still accurate?

Ignore any specs except the ones I'll publish.  :-)     I'm still breaking in woofers to get a good accurate sampling.    Next week some time I'll have more details.

Dustin B

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2006, 08:15 pm »
The CX is being delayed because our vendor is having a hard time hitting the parameters.   

Give me a call when you are ready and if we don't have the CX at that time I'll take care of you.    :wink:

Don't know what that means, but I'll be sure to find out  :thumb:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2006, 08:40 pm »

Don't know what that means, but I'll be sure to find out  :thumb:

It is purposefully vague.   ;-)

Midnite Mick

« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2006, 08:44 pm »
I was going to say that is indeed a great price on the Tumult.  I have the 15 and it was over 700.00 Cdn.  These new drivers are interesting if they come close to the Tumults.  Might be a project for some friends.  Are you going to be selling them through css up here in Canada Kevin?

Mike

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2006, 01:59 am »
I was going to say that is indeed a great price on the Tumult.  I have the 15 and it was over 700.00 Cdn.  These new drivers are interesting if they come close to the Tumults.  Might be a project for some friends.  Are you going to be selling them through css up here in Canada Kevin?

Mike

For right now we are going to limit distribution from here only.    After we get rolling with all the models then I'll make a business decision on how best to service customers.

All of the drivers are going to be a great value.   The low inductance is much more important than most people appreciate.   

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2006, 02:26 am »
For people who DIY the driver cost can definitely be more of a factor. The EX-15 will probably take a less powerful amp easier too. The extra 5mm xmax won't give that much extra output, perhaps 1.5-2 dB, which isn't a whole lot for paying a couple hundred extra.

<-- Starts devising a new speaker setup like the Swan IV with EX12s as the bass section.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #15 on: 7 Oct 2006, 10:33 pm »
For people who DIY the driver cost can definitely be more of a factor. The EX-15 will probably take a less powerful amp easier too. The extra 5mm xmax won't give that much extra output, perhaps 1.5-2 dB, which isn't a whole lot for paying a couple hundred extra.

<-- Starts devising a new speaker setup like the Swan IV with EX12s as the bass section.

Once I have specifications I'll model some recommended boxes and I'll show output differences.   The parameters are going to be different (different box targets) so to some extent it is an apples/oranges comparison.

klh

« Reply #16 on: 7 Oct 2006, 10:54 pm »
I hope these will be good for infinite baffle setups. There are few drivers on the market that work for IBs right now, but there are several forums that have quite a few people interested in them.

markC

« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2006, 11:00 pm »
. There are few drivers on the market that work for IBs right now, but there are several forums that have quite a few people interested in them.

For good reason. IB bass performance is the best that I have experienced in my room so far.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2006, 11:13 pm »
. There are few drivers on the market that work for IBs right now, but there are several forums that have quite a few people interested in them.

For good reason. IB bass performance is the best that I have experienced in my room so far.

They should be fine for IB use.   Qts sets your final system Q with IB systems and with the dual VC you have the option of doing an RDO on one VC to set the Q to your preference.   Four of them hooked up in series-parallel will give you a 4 ohm impedance.   Or you could hook-up a pair using just one VC from each to give you a 4 ohm load.   You need more power when using just one coil but IBs don't need much power and it is a mute issue 99% of the time.

The one warning I give people with IB systems is that you have to be aware of how easy it becomes to toast a driver, not by thermal stress but by popping the VC out of the gap.  You no longer have the box acting as an acoustic high pass filter, so like a ported box, I recommend using a high pass filter (2nd order @ 18-20Hz) to protect the drivers from damage.   There is content in a lot of movies well below 20Hz that will push pretty much any driver over its limits.  Also keep in mind that you have to use MULTIPLE drivers for the same output level that you would in a smaller sealed box or ported system.   My general recommendation is if your using a single ported sub, and happy with the output level, you will need about 2-3 of the same drivers (in an IB setup) to get the output level your getting from the single driver ported system.   

I'll include an IB section in my recommended enclosures documentation. 

klh

« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2006, 12:34 am »
The 3:1 ratio seems about right to me... one for the front wave, one for the back wave and one for the port(s). Four of the EX fifteens in a manifold with the drivers opposed would rock just about anyones world. By popping the VC out of the gap, do you mean surpassing the Xmax? Sorry, I haven't heard that expression before. Part of the beauty of designing an infinite baffle sub is getting the right amount of power to each sub... too much power and you blow the sub... and not enough power causes the amp to clip. When you're dealing with extremes like this the best way to aleviate these things is to just buy more drivers ;)... and a bigger amp. The drivers and amps are less stressed, which lowers distortion and extends low frequency response. When it comes to IB's, there is definitely no replacement for displacement!

BTW, Kevin, when you express your caution, is that for fewer than say four of the EX fifteens?