Odyssey Stratos Right channel dead?

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
Odyssey Stratos Right channel dead?
« on: 2 Oct 2006, 09:00 pm »
Hey guys,

It had been about 3 weeks since I turned on my system (been away from home).  It was all still hooked up the same way, nothing changed.  So I fire it up, Turn the Etesian on, Amp on, cd player on.  When I turned the amp on I heard a dull thump type sound, like a pop.  Now I get no sound from my right channel, left channel perfectly fine  but the hum that was always there seems a bit louder. 

After this happened I did some trouble shooting and found it was the Odyssey Stratos Amp itself not outputting to the right channel.  ( I changed out the preamp with a different one, used a different source, different cds, cables etc etc etc. 

My question is, is there some kind of Fuse that I can replace myself?  So I can negate the costly shipping to have it repaired.  I understand the capacitor could probably kill you if you are not carefull. 

any ideas . ?  I need my music!    :cry:

btw: my sytem:   NAD 521bee cd player --> DAC --> Etesian Preamp --> Odyssey Stratos Plus --> Odyssey Nightingales (using Brick Wall Power).  Also using Jelly Fish power cables, and others.  Grover ICs. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Haoleb

Re: Odyssey Stratos Right channel dead?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2006, 09:07 pm »
Call Klaus ;) He can probbly tell you exactly what happened. And tell you if its something you can do yourself.

markC

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2006, 09:11 pm »
Having owned a Stratos, I can tell you that there are definitely fuses under the hood. What exactly they fuse I don't know. But might as well start with the easiest thing to check. Make sure that you unplug the amp and don't touch anything inside with your fingers if your not experienced with electronics innards. Use an insulated pair of needle nose pliers or a wooden skewer to remove the fuse(s). Better safe than zapped!

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2006, 09:15 pm »
Can elecicity jump?  For example, if I am not touching anything inside but have my hand near the big caps?  Should I wear some kind of gloves if I am to mess around inside?  Or get some kind of grounding thing?

I will look for some kind of wooden tool to grab it. 

Any idea on the type of fuse?  And if using a different one would make a big difference? 

Soundbitten

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2006, 09:19 pm »
I'm not sure but the amp may have come with a spare fuse .

djbnh

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2006, 10:17 pm »
I'm not sure but the amp may have come with a spare fuse .
For a spare fuse, check the power receptacle. There's a little compartment on the bottom of the receptacle's plastic that contains a fuse. Just take it easy on the plastic when opening.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2006, 10:33 pm »
It's a good thing to check - but usually when a fuse goes, there's a reason.  Sometimes you get lucky and it's just an old/weak fuse.  Sometimes it will pop again right away.  Sometimes it wont' and you can do more damage to whatever is causing it to blow.

I'd call Klaus.

Bryan

hpc

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2006, 12:07 am »
Hey guys,

It had been about 3 weeks since I turned on my system (been away from home).  It was all still hooked up the same way, nothing changed.  So I fire it up, Turn the Etesian on, Amp on, cd player on.  When I turned the amp on I heard a dull thump type sound, like a pop.  Now I get no sound from my right channel, left channel perfectly fine  but the hum that was always there seems a bit louder. 

Being a tad picky on this, but your power-up sequence is wrong.  You should start from the source
component and power up from there to the amp; in this case:

cd player
dac
preamp
amp

And vice versa on powering down.

Essentially, you're following the signal flow.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2006, 12:30 am »
4 internal fuses.

20 mm,  FAST !!!!  blow.
Either 125 or 250 V,  doesn't matter.
You can use 5,  6,  or 6.3 amps,  not higher or lower.

Call me,

Klaus

djbnh

« Reply #11 on: 4 Oct 2006, 01:47 am »
I think djbnh had a fuse blow last year and he replaced it and i am pretty sure that everything was alright with his amplifier otherwise.i would use 250V 6.3 amp fuses and nothing higher than that! thanks...WCW III.
Bunky, good memory. I had two fuses blow at the same time on one of my Extreme Monos. (Wasn't listening to tunes at the time. FYI - I leave my monos on all the time per Klaus' recommendation. Anyway, came home from work, tried to play some tunes, and noticed one of the channels sounded like it was 90% out. No pop, nothing like that happened.) Replaced the misbehaving fuses, and alles gut! No idea what caused the issue, and never had a problem after that. Always glad to see the fuses do what they're supposed to do.

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: 4 Oct 2006, 03:52 pm »
Thats interesting, because I too was not listening to my system for a good 3-4 weeks time.  First time I turn it on Bam, no right channel. 

Despite the electricity bill I guess imma start leaving it on all the time then!

Im going to try to procure the 6.3 fuse tonight, I will report back. 

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: 5 Oct 2006, 02:24 pm »
Bah, I bought the right amp fuse and type but wrong length. grr.

Well I opened up the chasis anyways to have a look at the fuses.  I noticed that one seemed quite loose and almost like it is sort of popped up. 

So I pushed it back in and clamped the metal socket on that one a bit more. 

When i go to warm it up and turn on.... both channels are working (or I should say they are both getting a signal)... however...

The right channel has some distortion or fuzz coming through the speaker now especially in louder parts in songs... why would this be?!   :o   Has damage been caused to the electronics?

Now I said to myself, well lets see if it is the speaker making the fuzz or the right channel signal of the amp, so i switch the banana male L and R on the back of the amp and the distortion / fuzz is gone (had the left speaker in right side and right speaker in left side)

I am completely and utterly confused....This makes abosultely no sense to me....

another thing I noticed in the amp there are beads of solder to keep the fuses in their sockets... should I try reapplying solder to the one fuse that is not really in there too well?

Thanks in advance..

« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2006, 05:56 pm by tigzstudio »

markC

« Reply #14 on: 5 Oct 2006, 09:30 pm »
Is the fuse holder lose? Is the clamp that holds the metal end of the fuse opened up, not getting a grip on the fuse? If so, try squeezing it together a little with a pair of needle nose to get a tighter grip on the fuse. I don't think I'd do the solder thing.
Strange about switching cables and noise dissappears. Almost sounds like a bad/lose connection inside @ the speaker out connection or your bannana plug. Try wiggling the cable connector about while playing music and see if this affects the sound.

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:04 am »
I think one of the fuse holders was a bit loose.  I clamped it more, and put smal beads of solder in for the heck of it.. As of right now no problems at all and my system is sounding great!

Thanks all for the help. =)