Bugle finally done! (well I think) pics!

reynaldo01

Bugle finally done! (well I think) pics!
« on: 1 Oct 2006, 06:47 pm »

Well, just want to thank Hagerman Technology for a great kit and the opportunity to own a fine pice of equipment for such little money. How Does it sound? Great in my humble opinion and in my modest set up! Next up is the clarinet! It is time to give that foreplay II a well deserved break.

analog97

Re: Bugle finally done! (well I think) pics!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2006, 03:49 pm »
Absolutely beautiful build!  The cases are awesome.  Two questions if I may:

1.  What is the source of the case?  I have a Bugle built (naked) and I would like to clothe it.
2.  The capacitors that appear on the right side of the Bugle have red and black leads, indicating "polarity".  I have been confused by that from the get-go.  I noticed in your picture of these caps, one visible trace is connected to a black lead and one to a red lead.  Are these reversed or is the trace +/- reversed?

Thanks!!  Great job. :)

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2006, 03:57 pm »
Very nicely done!  Can I make one suggestion though?  From the pictures I can see that two of the caps have large leads to the PCB.  This creates a lot of extra inductance which is not wanted in this case.  I would try to shorter the leads as much as possible to reduce any unwanted affects it could have on the performance.

Looks good though!

reynaldo01

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2006, 04:28 pm »
The caps doesn't have polarity, actually it is just plastic sleeving from some left over cable I had around, the caps leads have to be that long because otherwise the caps would't fit, some day I will change them for some auricaps or other boutique cap, but for now, dayton will do, the case is a hammond case from mouser, I went for a tight fit, but maybe you will like a little bit more of room to work, they come in several sizes and go for $15-$20 dollars, thanks for the comments.

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2006, 07:03 pm »
two of the caps have large leads to the PCB.  This creates a lot of extra inductance

Actually, the 220nF caps don't mind having some inductance in series.  These positions are relatively immune to the effects.  The extra inductance is fine, however, the coupling to stray electric and magnetic fields increases.  Fortunately, that's not much of an issue in this case either.  In another sense, the longer leads tend to have a nice anti-vibration / microphonics damping.  It's hard to say, sometimes damping is best done by clamping down tight, others by floating as loose as possible.

Now where the extra inductance can make a difference is on the long leads connecting the supply lines.  If the 220uF electrolytic caps were left off of the BUGLE, then supply decoupling would suffer.  Again, this particular example is ok.

jh