Hemp option for XRS?

Canyoneagle

Hemp option for XRS?
« on: 1 Oct 2006, 05:33 am »
Louis:
As I've read (as have many others) on the bi-pole thread, it appears that the hemp drivers are a direct swap for the fostex.
Is this so on the XRS, what is the cost and (sonic) benefit?

Thanks!!!!!!!
Michael
yet another customer in the wings.....................
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2006, 06:23 am by Canyoneagle »

coolwater

Re: Hemp option for XRS?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2006, 05:09 pm »
Hmmm... that does sound like an interesting option.  I'd be intrigued to know myself.

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2006, 12:48 am »
Hi Canyoneagle,

They sure are and everything is set up for a drop in. It would literally take 5 minutes to do.

I just got in the latest version prototype and I’m breaking them in now. The basket is all-new again and we lightened the cone. I have also got 1.1mm of Xmax on these and a 18mm VC.

Thanks again,
Louis

Canyoneagle

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2006, 06:04 pm »
Louis,

Hmmmm.........
I look forward to hearing how those babies compare with the Fostex  aa

I'll be in touch,
Michael

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2006, 11:12 pm »
Hi Canyoneagle,

I did get them in and they are breaking in right now. I will have them for the RMAF. I did listen for a while and the bass is major. The hemp tone is there too. I had a version a while ago when with a hemp matrix cone and they were awful. Now back on track with the A broun soun formula and it's great so far. Now it's totally OEM with John Harrison.

Thanks again,
Louis

bprice2

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2006, 11:40 pm »
Louis,

I'm probably asking too much here, but is there anyway you could ballpark the cost for us of what the "drop-in" hemp drivers will cost?

Brett

Soundbitten

« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2006, 12:20 am »
I didn't know that hemp had so many uses .

TheSloth

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2006, 01:22 am »
I didn't know that hemp had so many uses .

And they had the audacity not to put Omega Loudspeakers on that little chart?

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2006, 12:24 am »
Hi bprice2,

I don't know yet and I will hopefully soon. The latest is they will be available in about 8 to 10 weeks. I have the prototypes and they are on the way to RMAF. Looks like they will be in Juicymusics room.

The charts really cool and I didn't know all the uses. Music reproduction and a hell of a guitar speaker too.

A broun soun has my guitar speaker and looks like they like it a lot. I hope to be going to NAM in January.

Thanks again,
Louis

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2006, 12:37 am »
Hey Louis,

Don't be modest.... tell 'em that *the* Carlos Santana tried out those Tone Tubbey prototype cabinets that you made for them.   :guitar:

Don't leave the home audio business!  :nono:

Congrats!  :thumb:

Vinnie

Louis O

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2006, 01:16 am »
Hi Vinnie,

I was really shocked when John told me about that. All the guys in the shop were scratching there heads when they saw the guitar speaker.

No worries about leaving.

Talk to you soon,
Louis

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2006, 03:11 pm »
Hi Louis, what will happen in regards to pricing when the 3's go hemp? This thread is on XRS, but do you plan to take the Super 3 to hemp as well? Any updates on availability? Thanks, Kent

Louis O

« Reply #12 on: 3 Dec 2006, 06:39 pm »
Hi Kent,

many thanks for you post and this is important. The hemp drivers are made in the U.S.A. and the materials are more expensive. I will have to raise the price of the XRSs and the Super 3V2. I will be offering the hemp drivers in all of the super 3 variants.

I can't post a set price yet, but what i will do is offer the driver upgrade at no cost for a short while.

The speakers are better and worth the extra cost when I implement it.

Thanks again,
Louis

schotter

« Reply #13 on: 4 Dec 2006, 01:06 pm »
wicked! Let us know when.

Louis O

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2006, 12:57 am »
Hi Schotter,

I sure will and I will be also bringing the hemps to the next NYRave. Hope to get great feedback.

Talk to you soon,
Louis

guest1632

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2007, 02:45 pm »
Hi Schotter,

I sure will and I will be also bringing the hemps to the next NYRave. Hope to get great feedback.

Talk to you soon,
Louis

Hi Louis:

1. Have you or did you ever look in to Dan Wiggins Adyre audio and his drivers to adapt to Hemp. You'd get more driver cone area to work with versus the conventional way. Just curious.

2. A lot of people over in the 2 channel area have purchased these TVC's from Nicholas Chew. The case is made of a certain type of wood. I recall you have a special powder mix that you put on the insides of your cabinets to deaden them. Would it be possible to buy some of that powder stuff you use?

Everybody's spending money on various forms of isolation. I figure if we can just deaden the cigar-type box, that will go a long way. Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
Ray