Clarion looks good

Yoda

Clarion looks good
« on: 29 Sep 2006, 04:46 pm »
Jim,

I've been tying to save a buck or two here and there for building the Chime, but have been following the Clarion in the blog, and it seems like it will be a really nice sounding piece.  I like the notion of selling a schematic and parts list if that is still your thought. I would be interested in building one in the future. 

What's is the sensitivity on the input to reach full power?  If a preamp is used, could the potentiometer be eliminated?  What impedance speakers is it designed to work with?

Good luck at RMAF...wish I could hear that unit.

Matt

hagtech

Re: Clarion looks good
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2006, 12:38 am »
I wasn't actually going to charge for the info.  Will just post the design for free.  Started writing up an article for audioXpress.  Figured that would be a nice way to get exposure.

It's not very sensitive.  Didn't measure, but it probably takes about 2V to reach full output.  Depends on the driver tube.  I used a 6H30 in my proto, will change to a 5687 for the published design.  Easier to build without the volume pot, too.  Output transformer can be strapped for 4, 8, or 16 ohm loads.  I get 3W at 8 ohms.

jh

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2006, 02:41 am »
Just finished the article.  I'm submitting it to audioXpress magazine.  Figure this is a perfect match for them.  Draft online:

www.hagtech.com/pdf/clarionarticle.pdf

jh :)

Eric H

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2006, 06:21 am »
Wow...  I didn't know about the Clarion before this but I've been loosely researching building something like this for quite a while...  and them Jim comes along and hands this out!  I'm sold...  Thank you Jim - it's great the way you support the DIY'ers.  I'm going to buy the chassis tomorrow and get to work on it while I do more research on the component details.

Eric H

Eric H

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2007, 05:59 am »
OK - I wasn't kidding - I built the Clarion and fired it up earlier today for the first time.  Look for a review with some pics at some point but for now it's sounding great - seems to run very, very quiet and cool, too.  Sound seems sweet, clear and detailed but it's too soon to say much more...  anyway, thanks to Jim for another excellent product (I'm running it w/Cornet2+Clarinet).

Eric