phono cable...help please.

Christof

phono cable...help please.
« on: 28 Sep 2006, 12:50 pm »
I'll be jove, I think I might have been bit!  Someone took me up on my offer and traded me a TT and phono pre for my little Dared tube amps.  I now own a ProJect Perspective with Grado Plat Ref cart and Monolithic PS1, all of which I know diddly squat.  I'll be spending some time in the archives but in the mean time I'll pick the brains of the vinyl guru's here.

Question of the day, this may seem sophomoric, I do not have a cable to get signal to the pre and I don't know what type of cable to get.  The ProJect has RCA output and most of the cables seem to be BIN terminated.  I do not want to invest much $ in cables, what should I do here.  Is there something special about a phono cable that is different than a standard IC with exception to the ground wire? 

Thanks
Christof

TheChairGuy

Re: phono cable...help please.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2006, 03:01 pm »
Christof,

I think the Perspective is the TT in the Pro-Ject line that has optional silicone damping (and carbon Project 9 tonearm)...if so, it may be the best one in Pro-Ject's line; and the damping probably necessary to help mate the Grado cartridge with it.

That would seem to have been a fine trade if you didn't need the little Dared's anymore.

The Prospective has rca outputs...you need not anything but good set of Interconnects of the regular audio variety.  You can run any wire (magnet wire, speaker wire, really anything that is insulated) from the screw terminal on the TT to the ground terminal on the PS-1.

There is nothing particularly special about a phono cable (with rca's_ except some of the bs that often goes with it.  You can spend $30 for a set of BlueJeans interconnects or get something more exotic (silver wire, cryo'ed, Eichmann or WBT teminated, better shielded, etc, etc...the 'normal' stuff we pay extra for as audiophiles) for a Revelation Audio Labs Paradise IC: (http://revelationaudiolabs.com/cables-analog/index.htm#Phono). 

I mention RAL, among hundreds of others, as I own and use them in my system and like them rather much. I got them just prior to their material-related price increase a while back.

If you have any spare interconnect there, use that first and see how you like it.  Make sure you connect an insulated wire from the screw on the TT to the PS-1 or you'll get lots of hum in your system.

You can get silicone for a few sources, but if you want other turntable accessories, I'd recommend www.Turntablebasics.com for the silicone and other needs.

Enjoy your newfound passion in vinyl!

I'll be jove, I think I might have been bit!  Someone took me up on my offer and traded me a TT and phono pre for my little Dared tube amps.  I now own a ProJect Perspective with Grado Plat Ref cart and Monolithic PS1, all of which I know diddly squat.  I'll be spending some time in the archives but in the mean time I'll pick the brains of the vinyl guru's here.

Question of the day, this may seem sophomoric, I do not have a cable to get signal to the pre and I don't know what type of cable to get.  The ProJect has RCA output and most of the cables seem to be BIN terminated.  I do not want to invest much $ in cables, what should I do here.  Is there something special about a phono cable that is different than a standard IC with exception to the ground wire? 

Thanks
Christof

Toka

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2006, 07:41 pm »
I'll second the Blue Jeans suggestion...the LC-1 cables have extremely low capacitance and are very well shielded...the two most important issues when dealing with IC's, especially phono cables. Won't break the bank either, and honestly, will probably perform just as well (if not better) than anything else you'll find.

Plink

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2006, 07:59 pm »
Christoff,

Another suggestion:  try Grover Huffman's cables.  They are excellent and reasonably priced. 

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=47670

You have to contact him through the Steve Hoffman website --->  "You can only buy Grover's cables directly from him so scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on "CONTACT US" to get a message to Grover. "

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2006, 08:27 pm »
I'm not familiar w/ the particular TT you have, its been a few years since you had to supply a set of interconnects from the tonearm to the phono section.  My SME Series III has female connections that you plug a single ended interconnect into but its the exception for more than a few years.  Don't neglect a separate ground wire from the tonearm to the phono section. 
I also like Blue Jeans Cables IC's
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm
Whatever you get should be shielded because you are dealing with very low voltages that are susceptible to interference.

Christof

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2006, 02:28 am »
I have a pair of 0.5m Zu Warmouth IC's that are not being used, I'll give them a try and remember to include an insoluted ground wire.

This model does have the silicone dampening thing in the base.  During shipping the dampening screw fell out and the silicon leaked out a bit, I should probably add more.  Chairguy, is that the silicone you refered to at Turntablebasics.com?

Also while I'm at it, can anyone recommend a tool 'kit' that I can buy to aid in proper set-up?  Is there a paticular book that explains things to simpletons like me?

c.

mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2006, 03:01 am »
If you want to spend the $$, Pro-ject makes a quality alignment rig that I used for my Perspective set-up. Maybe a local dealer has one you can borrow? That's what I did. Helps when your dealer is also your brother!! :thumb:

As far as the damping fluid, I haven't really experimented with the depth of the post that goes in it - It's supposed to affect the sound quality.

And is there really a place in the arm to add this goo? I wasn't aware.

I bought a pr of the BlueJeans ICs to play with on my CD player, and I think it's a great bargain. I'll probably get another and use both on my TT when I get around to getting a phone preamp.

Best of luck to you in your set-up!!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2006, 05:28 am »
Christof,

Why don't you call Sumiko, I've heard they are pretty good at customer service, and ask them your questions (they import Pro-Ject into the US)....about the dampening screw (if now missing), what viscosity silicone they recommend and if they sell it separately.

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/idx_contact.htm

TurntableBasics.com sells 10, 30 and 100,000 cst weights.