Chick Flicks you actually aren't afraid to admit you like?

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Since my wife indulges me and watches a fair number of manly movies with me, I occassionly have to sit through one of her chick flicks.  She just asked me to rent "The Lake House" and I was like "oh god."  Thank goodness for MNF or else I would've had to watch "Thelma & Louise."  but sometimes I do enjoy these movies but mostly it's torture.  I think the last one we watched was "The Notebook" it took a while but it was rewarding in the end.  But any one of these sappy movies with Keanu Reeves always make me sick.  I had to sit through the "A Walk in the Clouds" or something with Charlize Theron, that was worse than water torture.

Papajin

Re: Chick Flicks you actually aren't afraid to admit you like?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2006, 06:13 am »
One of my favs is Legends of the Fall.  I had no clue what it was about when I went to see it in the theater years ago, and I still enjoy watching that one on DVD.

LadyDog

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2006, 12:04 pm »
Probably will get burned at the cross for saying this, but I actually like chick flicks.  Or at least enjoy quite of few of them.  Oh my god, does that mean I am gay!  :o

Always been a sucker for a good, sappy love story.  :oops:  Anyway, just to name a few.

Titanic
The Notebook
West Side Story

Even enjoy some of the dummer ones like:

Seredipity(Not that Kate is bad on the eyes now, but there is something about how she looks in this movie, for me)

Regards,
Name Hidden to Protect Identity  :wink:

MarkR7

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2006, 12:41 pm »
I have to admit, I have a soft spot for Meg Ryan.... :oops:

I really enjoy "You've Got Mail" and "City of Angels".  Great soundtracks too!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2006, 01:43 pm »
Probably will get burned at the cross for saying this, but I actually like chick flicks.  Or at least enjoy quite of few of them.  Oh my god, does that mean I am gay!  :o

Always been a sucker for a good, sappy love story.  :oops:  Anyway, just to name a few.

Titanic
The Notebook
West Side Story

Even enjoy some of the dummer ones like:

Seredipity(Not that Kate is bad on the eyes now, but there is something about how she looks in this movie, for me)

Regards,
Name Hidden to Protect Identity  :wink:

Until you start going to foreign chick movies with subtitles, you don't have to question your orientation.  :lol: :lol:

I liked Serendipity, too.  I've always liked all John Cusack movies.  High Fidelity is a must for anyone frequenting this board.    Kate's good looking but the ones I have the hots for are Diane Lane

and Jennifer Connelly .  aa

Totally beside the point, but who think Mrs. Kotter was so very hot? 

I do. I do.......  :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2006, 01:55 pm by woodsyi »

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2006, 02:09 pm »
diane lane is one of the most beautiful women in the world....she looks better today than she did fifteen years ago!

Okay, as far as chick flicks go, the king (queen?) for me is "Notting Hill". This movie was for chicks AND it starred Hugh Grant, who I typically can't fcuking stand, so the deck was certainly stacked against it. But as it turns out, I absolutely loved it and have since seen it on several occasions.

The Notebook is one of the few films that just really *got* me. When I found out it was written by a heterosexual male, it made more sense to me why it affected me like that. I was pretty moved by the film.

Lastly, even though I don't think it qualifies as a total chick flick, the last twenty minutes of "Elizabethtown" were just awesome. I won't ruin it for those who haven't seen it, but there is an issue with the Orlando Bloom character that the female lead (Kirsten Dunst) helps facilitate in a very thoughtful and touching way. I think if a girl ever did that for me, I'd totally fall in love.

LadyDog

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2006, 02:16 pm »
Thanks Woodsyi.  Having 2 kids I wasn't questioning it too much.  :lol:

Not much of a Connelly fan but Diane certainly strokes the fire.  Then again, there is:

AJ,
Forgot about Elizabethtown and Nottingham Hill, both good movies.  And sound tracks.

Regards,
Jeff

launche

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2006, 03:40 pm »
Yeah Diane Lane surely caught my attention in "Unfaithful."  She has the "every man's wife" look and appeal that makes her very accessible.

There was a Meg Ryan, Matthew Broderick movie a few years ago that I thought was very charming.

I remember my first "official" date, I took this girl to see "Dying Young" good gawd man that was DEPRESSING.  Thinking about it even now makes me want to throw up.  FWIW, watching that movie I knew I was 100% heterosexual.  As a result, I think I took my next date to see "Backdraft."

Is "Legends of the Fall" really considered a chick flick?  I've never seen it, I thought it was a cowboy movie.

nathanm

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2006, 04:08 pm »
I liked Titanic, although I wasn't aware it was a "chick flick" necessarily.  If it is, well that's a chick flick I liked.  Although it's a pretty damn dark chick flick.  Usually I think of chick flicks as being gushingly romantic and melodramatic but usually upbeat.  I remember "Legends Of The Fall" being unbearable, time had slowed to a crawl it seemed.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2006, 04:22 pm »
Titanic didn't make this list. http://www.filmsite.org/greatchickflicks.html I haven't seen it because I detest the singing in the movie.  I wouldn't have guessed Aliens as chick flicks.  :o
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2006, 06:21 pm by woodsyi »

nathanm

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2006, 06:14 pm »
Well, given that list there's about a handful I liked.  The Virgin Suicides was great.  Much Ado About Nothing, The Princess Bride, (the opening scenes when she's wearing that peasant dress...*swoon*)   Most of that list I haven't seen though, my masculinity is assured! :lol:  If the movie is solely about relationships and dialogue I find that to be more chick flicky and thus unappealing.  I suppose Much Ado qualifies, but come on it's Shakespeare fer cripes sakes.  "Alien" is definitely not a chick flick!  Come on now, yes there's a female lead, but it's a freakin' monster movie!

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2006, 11:27 pm »
Titanic didn't make this list. http://www.filmsite.org/greatchickflicks.html I haven't seen it because I detest the singing in the movie.  I wouldn't have guessed Aliens as chick flicks.  :o

Hmmm, I've only seen 9 of those. And no, I can't see how Aliens makes it on a list of chick flicks. :scratch:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2006, 11:48 pm »
I've only seen a couple of them.  Among my favorite chick flix:  Serendipity, Return to Me, Sabrina.

Digi-G

« Reply #13 on: 5 Oct 2006, 07:32 pm »
Okay, I've seen a few.  And I swear I didn't watch them by myself.   :icon_lol:

Pretty Woman (Julia)
Maid in Manhatten (J-Lo)
Notebook
Somewhere in Time (Jane)
When Harry Met Sally (Meg)
Bridges of Madison County (Clint)

Oops, I've listed too many. :oops:

PhilNYC

« Reply #14 on: 5 Oct 2006, 07:44 pm »
And no, I can't see how Aliens makes it on a list of chick flicks. :scratch:

It's an empowerment film for women...Sigourney Weaver's character leads the troups because all the men are inept, and she becomes the mother figure for the little girl (Newt) all at the same time (juggling career and motherhood).  Then she squares off against another empowered mother (the alien queen).  And to top it off, the strongest soldier among the troups was Rodriguez, another woman....

Admittedly, this is the only chick flick I could come up with that I really enjoyed... :oops:

launche

« Reply #15 on: 5 Oct 2006, 10:36 pm »
My wife dragged me to see Catwoman, that was not so good a movie.  I laughed the entire time, everytime Halle and the dude would get close to each other that cheesey love music would play and these voices would come out of no where... ahhhoohhhahhh, ahhhoohhhahhhh... it was so damn funny.  It was a straight Lifetime Network production.

I thought I heard they were making a Catwoman 2.

HumanMedia

« Reply #16 on: 5 Oct 2006, 10:38 pm »
"Devil wears Prada"

bubba966

« Reply #17 on: 6 Oct 2006, 12:14 am »
And no, I can't see how Aliens makes it on a list of chick flicks. :scratch:

It's an empowerment film for women...Sigourney Weaver's character leads the troups because all the men are inept, and she becomes the mother figure for the little girl (Newt) all at the same time (juggling career and motherhood).  Then she squares off against another empowered mother (the alien queen).  And to top it off, the strongest soldier among the troups was Rodriguez, another woman....

Admittedly, this is the only chick flick I could come up with that I really enjoyed... :oops:

Yes, I know it's a female empowerment movie. But when "chick flick" is mentioned that brings to mind a movie that is mainly viewed by women & rarely viewed by men.

And right now I can't think of a single female I know that's seen Aliens...

JoshK

« Reply #18 on: 6 Oct 2006, 12:30 am »
I watched Bleak House with my wife and at first was about to get up to leave but after watching the first episode it became interesting.  Actually it was a bit good. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #19 on: 6 Oct 2006, 12:12 pm »
"Devil wears Prada"

I read some article somewhere that this movie was unusually popular among men, because men are apparently more subject to unreasonably demanding bosses...