When you want to show off your VMPS speakers...

Zheeeem

When you want to show off your VMPS speakers...
« on: 27 Sep 2006, 03:03 am »
...what albums do you reach for.

(Ulterior motive - I'm looking to buy more music and hope for some good recommendations)

fredgarvin

Re: When you want to show off your VMPS speakers...
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2006, 03:16 am »
I just picked up remastered cd's of Bruce Cockburns' "Humans" and "Inner City Front". My LP's were getting old and these sound quite good.

warnerwh

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2006, 03:56 am »
Incredible bass playing and recording quality with Brian Bromberg's Wood or Wood II. Eva Cassidy's Live has succulent and dynamic female vocals as well as outstanding music. Rick Braun plays lively jazz, well recorded, and with horns it shows what the speed of the planars can do more easily than any cone I've ever heard. The subtle blattiness that cones smooth over is quite apparent with the planar/ribbons.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2006, 05:54 am »
For classical I think Mahler symphonies are great demo's.  The recent sets by Bertini, Chailly, and Boulez all have excellent sound quality and amazing music.

dubravko

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2006, 08:44 am »
I want to show off their versatility. It is relatively easy to find some good or even stunning "show off" recordings for almost any type of speakers. But getting an enjoyable sound resembling live from various types of music, recorded through a span of some 50 years and playing at various volumes is a completely different task. This is much harder to achieve and in my opinion a real sign of high quality.

Therefore, everything from Elvis' remasters and some Furtwaengler archive recordings to latest Johnny Cash American recordings V will show what VMPS can do with a sound of music.