Anyone get their Transporter yet?

jermmd

Anyone get their Transporter yet?
« on: 26 Sep 2006, 01:25 pm »
They were supposed to start shipping last week. Anyone get theirs yet? Any online buzz?

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Re: Anyone get their Transporter yet?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2006, 02:08 pm »
not shipping yet... they were still waiting on one last part last I heard that unexpectedly held things up... ship date slipped a couple weeks....

pre-order list is pretty long as well.  I asked about that when I ordered my units.

seanadams

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:19 pm »
Transporter is in full production and shipping now... as of today we have shipped orders placed through 8/8/06.   There is roughly a three week lead time for orders placed today. 

best regards,
Sean Adams
CEO, Slim Devices

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:24 pm »
Congrats.  Looking forward to some real users giving hand's on impressions.

Bryan

PhilNYC

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2006, 06:35 pm »
Got my UPS tracking number from SlimDevices yesterday.  Since I'm on the east coast, it'll probably take a week to get to my place from California.

Someone on the SD Forum got his yesterday;  http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=27857

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2006, 07:05 pm »
I stand corrected :)  Thanks.  When I put in my order for Squeezeboxes and Transporters, I was told the delay shipping out beyond the previously advertised ship date was because of waiting on a part.... I guess it was just because I was lower on the pre-order list :)

TCM

• TCM:s LastFM

95bcwh

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2006, 09:05 pm »

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2006, 11:09 pm »
AKM4396 "The Miracle DAC"

What's so special about this DAC?  Its a multi-bit delta sigma which is par for the course these days.  What is suppose to be special about it? 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2006, 11:20 pm »

What's so special about this DAC?  Its a multi-bit delta sigma which is par for the course these days.  What is suppose to be special about it? 

Nothing... :duh:

George

jhm731

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2006, 01:45 am »

The processor has has two interesting features:  slow-rolloff, which means better time resolution; and low-power, which could reduce RFI generation. It's unknown if the SlimDevices circuit is taking advantage of these features.

Alex at APL HiFi has achieved excellent sonic performance out of the AKM.

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2006, 03:06 am »
Thanks JHM.  I wasn't being really sarcastic.  I just didn't know why it would be a 'miracle dac' based on the simple description. 

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2006, 11:38 pm »
UPS just dropped off a Transporter here :D

It was supposed to be shipped Next Day Air, but ended up going Ground  :nono:

I will post comparisons to the modded SB2s I have on hand in the near future.

jermmd

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2006, 12:23 am »
Excellent, Wayne.
Comparison to your modded units will be most interesting. I'm very hopeful that the Transporter will be competitive.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2006, 03:30 am »
I got mine in my system yesterday evening, and had a chance to do a little listening.  First impression right out of the box, the Transport has an analytical sound.  I think it has tremendous potential, but right out of the box it was a bit uninvolving. Bass output was tremendous however, the best I have had in my system.  A tad forward in the upper mid/lower treble, but that could be due to the fact it was brand new and also "cold". Not much soundstaging width or depth either.  In comparing it to a fully modded SB2 or modded Atoll CD100, well, there is no comparison.  The modded SB2 was warm, involving, with layer upon layer of detail presented in an organic manner. The Atoll is very similar sounding, probably due to the capacitors and other mods being very similar to the SB2.  My best analogy would be likening the SB2 and Atoll to candle lighting, and the Transport to flourescent lighting. Both illuminated, but one was just more pleasant to experience than the other.

I have been letting the Transport run since last night, it will be interesting to see if its character changes with a few more hours on it.

System:
Slim Devices Transport with Cyberlight P2A cables running directly to Nuforce Ref 9SE amps, using the Transport's built in volume control.

Speakers are SP Technology Continuum 2.5, With Harmonic Tech Pro 9 Plus speaker cable.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #15 on: 30 Sep 2006, 03:58 am »
Just did a little more listening, and I forgot to mention about the dynamics.  The transport excels at conveying the dynamic information.  Absolutely no compression or thinness due to compression.  It still sounds a little thin, but I think that is due to a little brightness in the lower treble like I mentioned earlier.  I think with a load of Bypassed Black Gates in place of the "tin can" stock capacitors (plus some other tweeks), this could really be something.