Hemp break-in case histories?

bgavinski

Hemp break-in case histories?
« on: 25 Sep 2006, 10:02 pm »
All,

I am about 60 hours into breaking in a new pair of (beautiful-looking) MaxHemps and if anyone has a case history to share, positive or negative, of breaking in similar speakers/drivers I would really like to hear it. Louis promised a rollercoaster ride and I am definitely on one.

Any thoughts on using prolonged periods of track 25 from USHER: Ultimate Stereo Hearing & Equipment Refresher (CD) (http://www.musaeus.co.uk/) to accelerate the break-in process? To quote from the USHER liner notes:

"The suspension of the great majority of dynamic loudspeaker drivers is relatively unsophisticated and although it has been developed to the point where it works well it does not have completely stable characteristics over time. Generally, it stiffens up over the years, which makes the bass resonance of the driver rise. This has all kinds of sonic effects, including increased distortion and frequency response anomalies. USHER track 25, 'loudspeaker shakedown', simply gives the bass driver a good stretch to exercise the suspension and relieve some of its stiffness. This is completely irrelevant with full-range panel drivers such as electrostatics and may have little or no effect with some conventional (dynamic) drivers, but in general it can be surprisingly useful with many speakers."

Thanks

BG

Dmason

Re: Hemp break-in case histories?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2006, 11:00 pm »
Sometimes I could hardly hear the music it was sooo confused. Next tune, it sounded pretty good. Back and forth, sometimes reeeeeeeeellly Bad. Then, there is this warm, aura-enriched vibe, and the highs sparkle, very sexy signature to them that begins to shine through, but yeah, I honestly thought there was ...a problem. I should add, after about 100 hours, it was clear as a bell, there was no problem, and they exhibited this BIG sound, reminiscent of the Altecs and Tannoy Gold coaxials. Hemp is THE cone material for the 8 wideband, in my ears. They also picked up an impressive amount of sensitivity, and can very easily be driven by 2 watts, with a good strong signal. I used them for weeks with a Bottlehead SEX amp, and the sound, and VALUE of this type of pairing is great.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2006, 12:00 am by Dmason »

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2006, 11:44 pm »
Hi bgavinski,

Thanks for the post and it's true with short throw drivers more so than with longer throw units. The quote you posted is spot on and it has everything to do with the suspensions. When it does loosen up the bass comes in stronger and the balance is much more smooth. Also you will know when the Max’s are broken in as it sounds as one and the bass is strong at this point. When it does happen it's all of a sudden. The break in track you mentioned will do a better job at loosening the driver up. I would also mix it up a bit with music too.

Hi Dan,

You right on and for me it happened instantly at that point. The up and down was pretty scary.

Thanks again,
Louis

ZLS

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2006, 12:00 am »
:D    I have a pair of the Omega Revolution's and when the Visaton B200 driver was breaking in, I can best describe the sound as discontinuous.  I swear I kept saying to my self, "I can't wait for the woofer and tweeter to break in"  It was then that I remembered that I had a single driver speaker!  I would then E-Mail Louis, who would counsel me to just have faith and give it time. 
    Two words, He's Right! 
    When Louis's speakers break in you can truly experience the magic of single driver speakers.  The speakers will when you listen to them, cut your heart in half with the beauty of the sound.

bgavinski

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2006, 04:31 am »
Thanks for the testimonials so far. I certainly recognize a lot of my current experience in your postings. I had better fasten my seat belt and enjoy the ride.

Thanks

BG

bgavinski

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2006, 01:36 am »
Another week and real progress has been made. I was out of town and my spouse was kind enough to play the, mainly subsonic, shakedown track (see previous posts) for about 40 hours (plus assorted tunage). Much of the harshness in the highs is gone and the bass and mids seem to filling in nicely. I will keep plugging away....

BG

coolwater

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2006, 05:17 pm »
My XRS's are on their way to me.  I know they use a fostex (as oppose to the hemp cone), but I gather they'll go thru the same break-in period... ie about 100 hrs.  My plan was to just play every cd in my collection thereby play a variety of music and ranges thru the speakers.  What does everyone think?

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2006, 12:45 am »
Hi bgavinski,

Great news and thanks for posting the progress. I have to get the cd you’re using for myself. Sounds like it does wonders for break in.

Hi coolwater,

The Fostex is a bit different and not a roller coaster ride like the hemps. Mixing up the music is a great idea and also play them a good level to get the suspensions moving.

Thanks again,
Louis

bgavinski

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2006, 01:01 am »
Louis,

The CD is Ultimate Stereo Hearing & Equipment Refresher (USHER) and is available here:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=13107&section=music

Here is the blurb:

"You know the importance of optimizing the placement of your stereo speakers…but do you know how to actually evaluate that placement?

You know how beneficial a good burn-in and demagnetization can be…but did you know that in less than half an hour, you can improve not just your stereo but your hearing too?

Only with USHER! With this one CD, you’ll get a unique program for rapid improvements in the acuity of your hearing, simple tracks for evaluating your stereo’s imaging and special burn-in analysis and demagnetization signals. And there’s some great music to round it all out.

USHER in a new dawn of listening pleasure."

Apparently it not only burns in your equipment it also burns in your ears (really). There is an an explanation at http://www.musaeus.co.uk/ushertech.htm

Happy listening

BG

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2006, 01:05 am »
Hi bgavinski,

Many thanks and I'm ordering it right now.

Thanks again,
Louis