Best DIY Speaker cables for a Bi-amped System

Housteau

Best DIY Speaker cables for a Bi-amped System
« on: 25 Sep 2006, 09:55 pm »
Hello, I am new to this forum, but not to some of the other forums here at AudioCircle.  I would like some opinions on what would be the best DIY speaker cable project for a bi-amped system.  In other words I would like to experiment and build two sets of speaker cables, one specifically maximized for low frequencies and the other for the higher frequencies.

From doing a bit of looking around I see that there are a few commercially built cables that may fit at least one half of that equation, such as Belden 5000 series, Canare 4S11 Cable, a certain Lowes cable, double runs of 89259 cross wired etc.  What are your thoughts on what to use where?

Dave

kfr01

Re: Best DIY Speaker cables for a Bi-amped System
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2006, 12:34 am »
I'm a fan of the Canare 4S11 from Kevin.  Buy some of his great connectors, techflex, and shrink and you've got a great looking and performing cable.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2006, 02:00 am »
I'm not a huge fan of bi-wiring in general.   If you buy audiophile cable it gets expensive fast.   I'd say 99% of the time your better off spending money on better loudspeakers & room treatments rather than expensive cable.   Also... you would be better off spending money on a high quality single run of cable vs. cheaper bi-wired cable.   

Having said that.... there really isn't any specialized engineering need for high frequencies vs. low other than the obvious power requirement.   As kfr01 has said... the 4S11 is an inexpensive way of bi-wiring since it is a four conductor cable.    If your pocketbook is larger the Cardas Twinlink is coated wire so it will never oxidize.   Otherwise its a simple twisted pair using expensive materials (both the copper, & dielectric).     If you wanted to double up just use a pair of them per side.

Housteau

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2006, 02:51 am »
Bi-wiring is a bit different than bi-amping.  Bi-wiring generally travels from a single amp and gets split at the speakers passive crossover.  In my particular situation my bi-amped system has two separate speakers per channel powered by two separate power amps requiring 4 speaker cables.

I have never been one to buy into the idea of expensive audiophile cables.  Afterall, I have no doubt that many, if not most of them are manufactured by standard commercial companies such as Belden anyway.  The cables are probably very similar to their standard commercial offerings with just slight changes.  I realize that cables are more than just a sum of their parts.  There is the labor to assemble them and depending upon what value is placed upon that per hour, one can see how the cost begins to grow.  Add to that the audiophile idea that items need to be pricey for anyone who is anyone to believe that they are of any true worth.

Thank you.  I have been considering the Canare 4S11 cable doubled up just as shown.  I believe in science, but I also firmly believe in subjective listening, because all things cannot be measured, and those that can do not always relate to how things will sound or work within a particular system.

Dave 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2006, 03:45 pm »
Bi-wiring is a bit different than bi-amping.  Bi-wiring generally travels from a single amp and gets split at the speakers passive crossover.  In my particular situation my bi-amped system has two separate speakers per channel powered by two separate power amps requiring 4 speaker cables.

I have never been one to buy into the idea of expensive audiophile cables.  Afterall, I have no doubt that many, if not most of them are manufactured by standard commercial companies such as Belden anyway.  The cables are probably very similar to their standard commercial offerings with just slight changes.  I realize that cables are more than just a sum of their parts.  There is the labor to assemble them and depending upon what value is placed upon that per hour, one can see how the cost begins to grow.  Add to that the audiophile idea that items need to be pricey for anyone who is anyone to believe that they are of any true worth.

Thank you.  I have been considering the Canare 4S11 cable doubled up just as shown.  I believe in science, but I also firmly believe in subjective listening, because all things cannot be measured, and those that can do not always relate to how things will sound or work within a particular system.

Dave 

I'm sorry... I was in a rush when I answered your post.   Bi-amping is a different issue and there are plenty of good reasons to do it.   Nice panel....  an array of woofers is the only way to match up the cylindrical wavefront and still get some deep bass.    A friend of mine is doing something similar with an electrostat panel he has created.