Trivia Question: What kind of speakers are in this movie?

jcoat007

71 minutes and 29 seconds into "Spiderman - The Movie" there is a pair of speakers in the background (actually it's just one speaker).  I was wondering what they were and while I was just reading an old issue of one of the popular audio rags I saw it.  

Take a guess.

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2003, 05:08 am »
I'm pretty sure I know which scene you're speaking of as I myself wondered what model speaker that was.

But I still don't know...

jcoat007

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2003, 01:10 pm »
Want a hint?

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2003, 05:57 pm »
Sure...

jcoat007

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2003, 06:35 pm »
Previous Golden Ear Award Winner.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2003, 06:41 pm »
Quote from: jcoat007

I'm assuming that's something that some magazine gives out, but I couldn't tell you who if my life depended on it as I don't read audio mags.

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2003, 06:44 pm »
I pulled up the scene last night and I don't know what they are either, Golden Ear winner doesn't help much since I don't subscribe to TAS. You're going to have to tell us eventually Steve.... :D

How about the speakers in the son-in-laws room in About Schmidt? Any idea? They appear to be straight from the 1970's.

Sa-dono

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2003, 06:45 pm »

Well I cheated but I know now :lol: I don't recall the speakers in question anyways..so I will not answer  :|

PeteG

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2003, 07:13 pm »
Did you notice the speaker on the wall, that one was a easy but
I don't recognize the speaker on the floor.
-Pete

jcoat007

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2003, 07:22 pm »
Hint #2 - Retail is $37,500.  

I wonder if the director got to keep them?

jcoat007

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2003, 11:43 am »
OK, here's the answer.  

Krell LAT-1.  

I find it interesting that for all of 1 second in the movie, they have a $37,500 pair of speakers in one scene and nobody in the world will ever know what they are.  What's the point?  They weren't even playing music.

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2003, 12:12 pm »
This sucks, that's what I thought they looked like but I couldn't see the lame rubber band grill and so discarded the thought.  :?

I had a chance to listen to these driven by some giant Levinson mono blocks and they did not sound good in that room. Very boomy and ill defined bass was the overwhelming impression. I'm sure they would be better in a good room but they were uninspiring at the time I listened to them.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2003, 12:28 pm »

I find it interesting that for all of 1 second in the movie, they have a $37,500 pair of speakers in one scene and nobody in the world will ever know what they are.  What's the point?  They weren't even playing music.

Isn't it just product placement (i.e. advertisement)?? Wouldn't Krell pay for that brief exposure????  
I remember "Sex and the City" having Red Rose speakers playing back when Kim Cattrall and Levinson were together.

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2003, 12:46 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Isn't it just product placement (i.e. advertisement)?? Wouldn't Krell pay for that brief exposure????  
I remember "Sex and the City" having Red Rose speakers playing back when Kim Cattrall and Levinson were together.

I remember seeing the Red Rose speakers in Sex and the City. It wouldn't be surprising if Krell supplied the speakers and paid a placement fee. But the exposure is so short that the Krells are just the directors or actors personal speakers. Who knows?  :?: