Classical LP recommendations

lcrim

Classical LP recommendations
« on: 24 Sep 2006, 11:15 am »
The bulk of my vinyl collection is jazz, heavy emphasis on bop.  I don't know the essentials in terms of players and performances in classical.  I do tend to prefer chamber pieces to full orchestra but if it swings, I'll likely dig it.  Asking for your thoughts as well as recommendations.
thanks.

Listens2tubes

Re: Classical LP recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2006, 02:13 am »
RCA Victor Living Stereo LSC-2446 Rimski-Korsakoff "Scheherezade" , try that.

fitzrik

• Vinylfanatics.com
« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2006, 01:26 am »
Resphigi's The Birds is a beautiful piece of music and is also available on a Living stereo release
Any Mozart is all wonderful

weirdo

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2006, 01:21 pm »

My dad was getting into classical about 20 years ago and he asked for a recommendation. I bought him Brahams Symphony No 1.  I believe it was a Deuche Gramm. record with Herbert Von kar. conducting. It is a magnificent first symphony with power and grace and lots of memorable melody. Another great first acquisiton would be Mozart's Requiem. It is stunning. you will find there is plenty of bad Classical music as in any other medium but here are a couple of great starters.Have fun.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2006, 01:35 pm »
The bulk of my vinyl collection is jazz, heavy emphasis on bop.  I don't know the essentials in terms of players and performances in classical.  I do tend to prefer chamber pieces to full orchestra but if it swings, I'll likely dig it.  Asking for your thoughts as well as recommendations.
thanks.

Larry,

If you are willing to pay for shipping or drive down to VA, I probably have over 1000  classical LPs of all type that you can have.  I get stuff in bundles, and end up with many duplicates some of which are good.