A billionaire is shopping for ultra-high-end system!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: A billionaire is shopping for ultra-high-end system!
« Reply #40 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:19 pm »
If so.....I'd like to be your friend!  :lol:

Bob

but first you need to know me !!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can arrange that.  aa

Just kidding!
Bob

nathanm

« Reply #41 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:46 pm »
So how did this guy become a billionaire, if you don't mind me asking?

95bcwh

« Reply #42 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:58 pm »
So how did this guy become a billionaire, if you don't mind me asking?

Taking big risk...with a bit of luck, build up some sizeable capital, then hook up with politicians, same old story everywhere in the world.. 8)

Papajin

« Reply #43 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:59 pm »
but first you need to know me !!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, I'm a fellow HT3 owner, and soon Maui modded TacT!  We're practically best friends already!  :lol:

PhilNYC

« Reply #44 on: 26 Sep 2006, 06:32 pm »

Bob

Are you saying you're a billionaire?  :drool:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #45 on: 26 Sep 2006, 06:38 pm »

Bob

Are you saying you're a billionaire?  :drool:

No, I'm not, but would be willing to give it a shot. You wouldn't even have to twist my arm.
You know, come to think of it, they say money doesn't buy happiness. But I'll bet I could give it the ol college try.

Bob

F-100

« Reply #46 on: 26 Sep 2006, 06:43 pm »
"they say money doesn't buy happiness."

I'll prove them wrong... Money can buy anything :lol: :lol: :lol:

F-100

« Reply #47 on: 26 Sep 2006, 06:46 pm »

haha...no.. not at all..he happened to be my classmate 20 years ago.. his dad wasn't rich at that time.  Now that his family is rich, but he'd never tried to intimidate me with his wealth, we still go and visit local pubs.. drinking cheap beers, sometime he pays, sometimes I pay.. :green:

Barry,
  What are you thinking? He is a billionaire, by all mean let him pick up the tab. Save your money for audio gears.  :lol:

nathanm

« Reply #48 on: 26 Sep 2006, 06:47 pm »
Hmmm...

95bcwh

« Reply #49 on: 26 Sep 2006, 08:34 pm »
Barry,
  What are you thinking? He is a billionaire, by all mean let him pick up the tab. Save your money for audio gears.  :lol:

LOL.... I just can't do that, I couldn't get over my own ethical hurdle.. :dunno:

The guy even told me, if I help him to build a good system, he would buy me a pair of speakers - any speakers that I like!!!  Haha.. but hell no... sometimes, you just have to say no to things that you don't deserve.

F-100

« Reply #50 on: 26 Sep 2006, 09:16 pm »
LOL.... I just can't do that, I couldn't get over my own ethical hurdle.. :dunno:

You're the man of ethic :thumb:

:bowdown: I'm not worthy.. :bowdown: I'm not worthy... :bowdown:

fajimr

« Reply #51 on: 26 Sep 2006, 09:57 pm »
forget the system.... does the guy have a sister?  :green: 

F-100

« Reply #52 on: 26 Sep 2006, 10:03 pm »
Barry,
By any chance, your friend is the son of a billionaire telecommunications tycoon from Thailand who is currently exiling in London? 
If so, he have a sister... :lol: :lol:

warnerwh

« Reply #53 on: 27 Sep 2006, 07:35 am »
Call Rives or Realtraps and have the room designed. This is key to great sound period. Without it all the money in the world isn't going to make bad room acoustics better.

Take him out to listen to various speakers and see what kind of sound he likes. He may like stats or horns or good ole dynamic drivers.  We all have our opinions. Also let him listen to tube amps etc. I'd forget the statement bit if he likes music. Whatever he ends up with will be enough of a statement. If he enjoys music that's what the goal should be, a super system that comes as close to perfect in HIS opinion as possible.

I totally understand your position. I have a couple of friends who are pretty well off and I can't let them cover everything when we go out to eat etc.  One usually insists and can afford it but it bugs me. When he's here this weekend however everything's on me as he's doing me a huge favor.

Whatever you do you may want to make sure he enjoys the process. Maybe he'll become obsessed like the rest of us wackos around here :lol: Then upload pics of his latest creations. That room though needs to be perfectamundo. No compromises. Ethan Winer of Realtraps has been very helpful around here. Give Ethan a call. Hope you guys have fun!

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: 27 Sep 2006, 12:40 pm »
I'm a newb but why not try and find places to let you audition speakers at your place for him.  Compare them to your HT3s and in the end, I am sure you will still come back to the all-around performance Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy are offering you. 

Or commission Rick Craig to take the fanciest drivers out there and make a speaker. 

Or purchase the Perceives 2.0 from ShinOBIWAN on diyaudio.

Keep it simple and leave money for components and nice furniture.  Then why not a fully equipped bar with the best scotch and whatever other alcohol to suit all tastes?

95bcwh

« Reply #55 on: 27 Sep 2006, 02:21 pm »
Barry,
By any chance, your friend is the son of a billionaire telecommunications tycoon from Thailand who is currently exiling in London? 
If so, he have a sister... :lol: :lol:

nah...he's not that one... but he does have a sister... so are you willing to break up with your wife to marry his sister?  :lol: :lol:

F-100

« Reply #56 on: 27 Sep 2006, 02:46 pm »

nah...he's not that one... but he does have a sister... so are you willing to break up with your wife to marry his sister?  :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: No, Barry!!! Not in this life time, I'm happily married to a wonderful woman.

John Casler

« Reply #57 on: 27 Sep 2006, 02:57 pm »

:lol: :lol: No, Barry!!! Not in this life time, I'm happily married to a wonderful woman.

Well I'm not plus I can help him with his system.

Hmmmm....  He could kill two birds with one stone.

What does she look like :drool:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

95bcwh

« Reply #58 on: 27 Sep 2006, 03:11 pm »
What does she look like :drool:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think she look good enough to stir up your hormone aa

audiojerry

« Reply #59 on: 27 Sep 2006, 03:12 pm »
Wow, posted only four days ago, and the thread is already six pages long.  :lol:
Isn't it fun to imagine what one could/should do if one had a million bucks to blow?  :drool:

We all know there is no perfect system, and no one system that is ideal for all types of music or listening preferences. With that kind of money, I'd assemble two or three systems that did the best job depending on the type of music I wanted to listen to.

For small ensemble or solo vocalists, I still believe a small two monitor with a simple crossover offers the best transparency and image focus for getting closest to the music - driven by tubes of course.

For dynamic music with full orchestra or movie soundtracks, you need to go bigger - more power, fast transients, and big speakers, which means the best SS amp available, and there are some very outstanding and very expensive ones to audition.  

But, as it has already been pointed out, the room trumps everything else.

Man, would it be fun to be hired as his consultant and help him build his system!  aa