DAC details?

BobC

DAC details?
« on: 22 Sep 2006, 05:11 pm »
I did a search and couldn't find answers...so here goes.

I'm considering a DAC for my system.  Ultimately I'd like to be able to use my laptop as a transport via USB to the DAC.  I'd also like to keep a CD transport so I can quickly and easily continue to use my CD collection w/o booting up the laptop.

I'd really like to only have 1 dac that can switch between the laptop and the CD transport (and maybe a future digital radio tuner???).

Questions:
1.  I've heard that the DAC 60 has or will soon have a USB input.  Correct?  Is this available?  Is it as good as a standard optical or coaxial connection?  I assume this would be USB 2.0 and thus requires a laptop that also uses USB 2.0, correct?
2.  Can the DAC 60 switch between 2 or more sources.  I know it has optical / coaxial (and maybe USB) but does it allow switching?
3.  Does the DAC 60 offer a remote for this switching?  I'd probably program this into a learning remote.

If the DAC 60 doesn't fit the above description, can anyone recommend a good DAC (on par with the 60), preferably tubed and <$1000?

Thanks for your help.  Cheers  :beer:

Bob

Danny Richie

Re: DAC details?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2006, 10:05 pm »
We are all still waiting for the factory to release a DAC-60 with USB input. I have heard no news on it and wonder if the whole idea is pretty low on their priority list.

I am looking into other options right now.

Empirical Audio has adapted their USB input for the DAC-60, but it is a bit pricey.

outlawrocketman

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2006, 12:36 am »
If you don't mind a couple of components, you might consider the current LITE DAC-60 (which is excellent) and a USB to S/PDIF converter to get the signal from your computer to the DAC.  I'm using my computer (~2600 CDS loaded via lossess compression) as a source into a HAGUSB (as of last week) into the DAC-60.  It sounds excellent. Done a little A/B testing but not enough yet to know whether it's better / worse / the same sound quality as out of my CD player, but I'll get to that in the next couple of weeks.

BobC

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2006, 01:26 am »
Interesting...didn't know such a device existed.  I'll look into it.  Thanks for the tip!  :thumb:

Regardless of the USB question....can anyone tell me about questions #2 and #3 above?  Can the 60 switch between 2 transports (CD transport and a computer)?

Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2006, 01:57 am »
Right now you can switch between the fiber optic and the coaxial inputs with the buttons on the front panel. The display also tells you which input you are using. You have to manually select them from the front panel. There is no remote.

BobC

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2006, 02:06 am »
Thanks Danny!  That's what I needed to know.